Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Finally updated iPad 3 to iOS 7

edited March 2014 in General App Discussion

This is for any iPad 3 owners who may have had serious doubts about updating to iOS 7 upon reading the many negative reviews on other forums outside this forum. As we know, the 3rd generation was the first iPad with retina display and one GB of RAM, promising great potential. And fantastic times were had with iOS 6, at least to me.

After a half dozen multi-hour attempts to download the update, I threw all caution to the wind and went from iOS 6 to iOS 7.1. The process went very easy without any hiccups. This was done through iTunes on Windows 7 using the download update only option. This was to give me time to evaluate whether or not I would proceed with the update. Researching the interweb via reviews, videos, and photos of the new operating system on the iPad 3, I chose to believe in my trusted known but unknown friends on the AudioBus forum.

First, forgive me of my past negative replies on this matter. That helps no one. I truly hate to be a stick in the mud. The positive feedback here has been overwhelming and for that I thank you all.

I had seen and read about the new look of iOS 7 but was not quite prepared for how awful it looks compared to the previous OS. I guess in time I will grow accustomed to the flat appearance and the nine app limit for folders (and other shortcomings to be found). I'll refrain from any further negative comments as that has been covered fairly well. I will have to go through the preferences to make it battery and user friendly but so far the lagginess I expected has not been present.

Having access to the dozen or so iOS 7 only apps I purchased (most of them on sale) along with IAA is quite a treat. Though I haven't spent a lot of time with various configurations, my initial expectations have been favorable. There has been a few hiccups so far but I believe some optimization of settings will alleviate that.

Besides the ability to use the aforementioned apps, AudioBus 2 was one of the main reasons I decided to update. What a great couple of developers to offer such a useful and easy to use interface along with the best iOS forum around. That and the presence of iOS music developers willing to get ideas from us all to implement into the apps we all use and appreciate. Surely there will be higher mountains to climb as devices get more powerful and I have no doubt that Sebastian, Michael, and close nit developers here will give us paths to cross those challenges.

I'm sure I will have several issues ahead but I know that I can find much needed answers here on the best board for mobile musicians.

All that being said, and with a lot more words than I expected, I am glad I updated to the new operating system on my measly old iPad 3 (lemon, lime, coconut ?). If other iPad 3 owners are on the fence about updating, research the facts before doing so and don't blame me if you wish you could go back to iOS 6.

Looking forward to what mobile music may bring.

Comments

• edited March 2014

" I guess in time I will grow accustomed to the flat appearance and the nine app limit for folders"

Actual @Keebo you can have 27 apps per folder. As you add another to a 9 app group another page will slide into view. Good move on the upgrade though.

• @thinds said:

Actual @Keebo you can have 27 apps per folder. As you add another to a 9 app group another page will slide into view. Good move on the upgrade though.

I have a folder with 115 apps so...

• Hey, thanks for the tip, @thinds. I'll have to give that a try.

• And you too, @fjcblanco.

• @Keebo: Please will you report back again in a week or two (after you've had more time to evaluate). Thanks for your initial impressions.

• One of my ipads is a 3 and works good on ios 7 things like steppolyarp and synth like animoog runs good of course the limitations of power are the same than ios6 with an ipad3

• edited March 2014

@fjcblanco said:

You're right! When did that change? I must have missed that. Thanks

Sorry @Keebo I gave you wrong info there.

• @Keebo: Yes, please report back on your IOS 7 experiences. I have been so pleased with my iPad 3 on IOS 6. And with the iPad 3/IOS 7 reports I've read, I have been extremely hesitant to upgrade. But with IAA, Audiobus 2, and the new apps (like Gadget) that are IOS 7 only - I'd love to know how it works out for you. Thanks!

• I've also been able to nest folders within folders, but I don't know how I did it.

• No problem guys (or gals), I'll continue this saga as time and experience permits.

I'm still updating 30 apps from within the app store app that is quite unlike the previous version. Before the update, when you updated the apps and clicked on the app store app again after the continuous circulating icon on the desktop, homepage, or whatever it is called disappears, the app store would show that all apps have been updated and clear of any icons. If you opened it before all apps were updated it would show which apps were through updating with an OPEN button. So far that doesn't hold true on iOS 7.1. There appears to be STOP icon on the far right which when clicked shows an UPDATE icon presuming that the app is not updated yet. Perhaps it is my slow internet connection speed (nearly quadrupled since the last time I typed that sentence while on dial-up) but after an hour and a half, the badge is still showing 30 apps to update. Looks like I'll have to put it back on charge overnight to get them all updated.

Bear in mind that all of this hog wash (yep, I'm from the southern U.S.A) may be my lack of understanding how the new OS works. I will look for an iOS 7.1 manual tomorrow to see what I'm not quite comprehending on first look.

I suppose those using it only for browsing, WasteLook, Twatter, and Angry Turds have been able to grasp all of the changes without missing a beat. A beat I so hope to miss :-) .

• I've been running on 7 on a couple of iPad 3's for some time now with no problems.

• Thanks for the optimistic view, @MusicInclusive. I am trying hard to share your views and hope I too will as soon as I learn the new way of doing things. BTW, more OPEN icons are starting to show up on app update page. Seems I was expecting the apps to update as quick as the previous OS but may be due to a congested bottleneck here. Or perhaps iOS 7's WIFI has a bit of issue?

Wanted to pop back in and say that due to my slow 1.5 mbs connection speed which is maximum here (I live out in the sticks due to a break-in in my inter city apartment years ago which the burglars targeted my guitars and effects) I have only been able to try three of the new to me iOS 7 only apps as all the others are still updating.

Non musical but a great comic relief, the Monty Python's Holy Grail app works perfectly now on iOS 7 compared to crash city on iOS 6. A moose once bit my sister :-) .

Sliver is beyond words in my minute usage. I see a lot of potential with this app.

Stienberg's Nanologue sounds like it may have a place for use.

Cakewalk's Z3TA+ looks and sounds just like my PC VST and that is a good thing. I'm sure it will fall short of this great Masterclass webinar:

I think this is the right link as my connection grows ever weak.

Anyhoo, I see Korg's Gadget is now available to try so I must scamper off and see what all of the hype was about.

More to follow...

• OK, Gadget. Sounds pretty nifty though the presets are not what I would call my taste in music. I'm more of a rock/pop type of guy, not EDM (no disrespect for those who like that style of music). Of the eight presets, only the first four will load on my iPad 3. The last four including the preset 'Get Started' shows "Oops, this song is not supported for this device".)

A late night here so take all with a grain of salt. Your experience may differ.

• Battery life on my ipad mini has been drastically made worse by installing ios 7 unfortunately. Trying to see if I can fix. You mentioned preferences?

• How about iSem and samplewiz. Both crash and have crackling audio since I upgraded to 7.1 on my ipad3

• I really liked iSem too :(

• @thinds said:

@fjcblanco said:

You're right! When did that change? I must have missed that. Thanks

Sorry @Keebo I gave you wrong info there.

Infinite apps in the folder is not nearly enough. We want mooooooore!!! ;)

• Hi, my experience is not so good, there's is a delay in multitasking, my apps keeps updating even when i disable the background updates, many glitches in ifretless Bass after the update or maybe just my imagination, with audiobus and IAA i've had no problems. Battery life i think is ok, in general there are no problems just those.

• Hello everyone... :)

I am also quiet happy with iOS 7.1 on my iPad 3 - but only because I had so bad experiences with 7.0X - resulting in system-resets every few hours - leaving me with two (also own a iPhone 4s) virtualy usless devices for MONTHS without beeing able to downgrade again.

First I thought iOS would leave me with underpowered devices, until I saw that even users on iLemon devices just a few month old where facing the same problems than me.

I just couldn't have imagined before that Apple would release such a peace of junk to every user. I allowed them to collect even more very personal data aka crash reports, hoping to help (me/us). This is is another thing I couldn't have imagined before. Not a small dev I am talking about...

So now I only have a few safari-crashes here and there (never had any on iOS I can think of), some glitches and lags and a somewhat strange UI - which I am very open for, liking the original design on WinPhones ;)

But I am in fact really happy making music by now and even more that I found this forum!

Cheers/Prost!