Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

ToneStack is on sale (including IAPs)

The app is only .99, the first bundle is 14.99, the other two 4.99 each.

What do you think? Is it worth buying?

Comments

• Tonestack is excellent!

That said, no, I wouldn't buy it myself any more because I can replace much of what it does with AUv3 apps with a future rather than sticking with IAA which is depreciated and may no longer be useful at some time in the future.

• Overloud is way better IMO.

• That's an awesome deal!

I would listen to some YouTube demos and see if you like the sound of it.

I have all three bundles and there are a ton of great effects you can use in AUM even if the amps themselves aren't your cup of tea.

• Just about to bite in this deal.

I’m sure Auv3 is on the way ;-)

• for $.99 it’s certainly worth hearing how it sounds.

• I would say get it.

It's sound is still relevant.

• A lot of people from this forum see Tonestack as traditional guitar multi-FX , IMHO.
    If you just want a modeler, not that interesting.

However, with Tonestack, you can create an INFINITE effect chain, cascading delays and modulations and filters until your device breaks down.

• edited July 2020

Look - for a whopping $4 you can get a really good guitar amp simulator package.

OPINIONS TO FOLLOW!!!!

1. Are there other/better guitar amp simulators out there? - YES
    2. Is Tonestack AUv3? - NO
    3. Will Tonestack be AUv3? - This has been hoped for/wished for now ad nauseum. There has been no real indication from Yonac (that I know of) that this will happen in the near future.
    4. Is it a good deal/worth picking up? - YES. If you have $4 to spare and like exploring guitar apps, then absolutely.
    5. Do I NEED this if I already have Klevgrand's Stark/Nembrini apps/Thu-Overloud/Amplitube/etc. - NO. You don't NEED this app if you have something else. But of course you may WANT it.....
  • wimwim
    edited July 2020

I personally do not believe that Tonestack will become an AUv3. Ever.
    I do think they may come out with a new product that is AUv3. Separate purchase.

The Great Karnak has spoken. 👌🏼

• I'm with Karnak, and I think they my be offering this sale because they are somewhat close to launching the new app.

I foresee a launch between Fall 2020 and Spring 2037.

Nystromdaumus (the man who saw yesterday and wasn't very impressed) has spoken! 🙃

• I still like Tonestack and would recommend it for the money. I've certainly gotten my $60 or whatever I've spend on Motherload 3.0 IAPs worth over the past few years. Plus it is good to play with a lot of effects that I would otherwise never get to spend any time with. I mean, by the time you buy up to Motherload 3.0 you have 3 or more delay pedals, quite a few compressors, overdrive/crunch/distortion pedals out the wazoo. Just so much fun to play with. Once you figure it out and get the sound you are looking for perhaps it becomes easier to navigate the other newer stuff.

• edited July 2020

I bought the app but I'm a bit confused about the IAP. Can I just buy the M'load v3 update or do I need to buy v1.0 first?

• As I recall, you had to purchase v1, then v2, then v3.

But that’s been a long time ago, and I purchased each pack as they were released.

Looking at the IAP prices for the packs (as I’m seeing it) they don’t appear to be much of a discount from regular prices...

• Exactly. And given the scare mongering that I bought into about a separate app for auv3, I'm hesitant to drop $40 on this.

• There has been talk (and hope) of an AUv3 ToneStack for well over a year.

It might arrive, but I wouldn’t hold my breath.

For a buck, the base app would be a value. You can try the amps and effects and there will probably be some you really enjoy.

This app hasn’t been updated since 2017, so that would be a red flag as far as any future IAPurchaseas.

• @richardyot said:
    Overloud is way better IMO.

Is it because it’s an audio unit or does it just also sound better?

• For complete Tonestack, you need the following:
    -Tonestack App
    -Motherload v.1.0
    -Expansion v.2.0
    -Expansion v.3.0

• @SNystrom said:
    For a buck, the base app would be a value. You can try the amps and effects and there will probably be some you really enjoy.

Yes

@Fingolfinzzz said:

@richardyot said:
    Overloud is way better IMO.

Is it because it’s an audio unit or does it just also sound better?

Yes

• Thanks, the no updates does concern me. I already had the paid version and was thinking about getting in deeper. Was thinking.

• Always wanted to try Tonestack but never did, so took it for a spin today for a buck. I understand it has devotees and I actually kind of liked it, I get the appeal, but nevertheless some observations...

• Zero latency, likable UI, I get the appeal 3 years ago. For what you get for a buck it’s definitely a great value, even as IAA only. Tuner, 2 track recorder, lots of factory presets, several amps/cabs/fx etc... Doom N Gloom factory preset is worth a buck by itself. Huge value here today.

• Doesn’t recognize my audio interface at 96KHz. It reads the iPad at 48, but when I plug my interface in it defaults to 44.1, I don’t see anywhere an option for 96. Not a deal breaker, but Overloud gives my interface the option for 96, as does AUM and almost every other app. Maybe I’m not seeing it or it’s IAP?

• Even though I did find some nice tones and was inspired to wail away, on the whole the amps sound kind of fried and digital. The harmonics don’t really behave like a real amp. Most importantly, I don’t think there’s an IR loader option neither in house nor third party, so from amp to amp the soundstage seemed suspect. One amp sounds like it’s overloading a 1X10, the next sounds distant and honky, another sounds really dry, and another sounds like you’re playing directly through a headphone jack. Trying to fix it with a reverb pedal seemed like a misguided bandaid. Maybe I’m doing it wrong? Despite finding some nice presets and building a good chain, overall I got the feeling this was a digitized fry fest with a rinky dink soundstage.

• Seems to me Tonestack was made specifically for iOS, so it’s not a behemoth desktop sim developer ported over to iOS like Overloud and Nembrini. Therefore it’s a bit unfair to compare the two. Doesn’t help that it hasn’t been updated in 3 years and the others mentioned are newer and fresher. Obviously they sound better and behave like real amps. Tonestack belongs in the former era, so AUv3 and an engine refresh is a must for it it compete. However, it’s quite an awesome app with lots of depth, fun to navigate, stable, and it’s worth checking out on this sale. And if people invested in it a while ago and are getting great sounds from it, more power to them! For 2.99 IAP I might splurge on both of the bass bundles and one guitar bundle, but first I’d like to see if I can make it sound a little more real.

• @JoyceRoadStudios, that seems like a reasonably fair review of the app.

I think that the lack of an IR loader makes one search the rather numerous cabinet options a must when looking for an agreeable tone. There are 44 cabinets in total within the app, and there are some rather obscure ones that have provided a great deal of pre-IR cab pleasure over the years for me. The SupraPawn 1x8 sounds like the cone has been slit numerous time by a razor blade! 😳

Ultimately it's really nice these days to have numerous quality virtual amp options on iOS. And this is just one for consideration.

• @JoyceRoadStudios said:
    Always wanted to try Tonestack but never did, so took it for a spin today for a buck. I understand it has devotees and I actually kind of liked it, I get the appeal, but nevertheless some observations...

• Zero latency, likable UI, I get the appeal 3 years ago. For what you get for a buck it’s definitely a great value, even as IAA only. Tuner, 2 track recorder, lots of factory presets, several amps/cabs/fx etc... Doom N Gloom factory preset is worth a buck by itself. Huge value here today.

• Doesn’t recognize my audio interface at 96KHz. It reads the iPad at 48, but when I plug my interface in it defaults to 44.1, I don’t see anywhere an option for 96. Not a deal breaker, but Overloud gives my interface the option for 96, as does AUM and almost every other app. Maybe I’m not seeing it or it’s IAP?

• Even though I did find some nice tones and was inspired to wail away, on the whole the amps sound kind of fried and digital. The harmonics don’t really behave like a real amp. Most importantly, I don’t think there’s an IR loader option neither in house nor third party, so from amp to amp the soundstage seemed suspect. One amp sounds like it’s overloading a 1X10, the next sounds distant and honky, another sounds really dry, and another sounds like you’re playing directly through a headphone jack. Trying to fix it with a reverb pedal seemed like a misguided bandaid. Maybe I’m doing it wrong? Despite finding some nice presets and building a good chain, overall I got the feeling this was a digitized fry fest with a rinky dink soundstage.

• Seems to me Tonestack was made specifically for iOS, so it’s not a behemoth desktop sim developer ported over to iOS like Overloud and Nembrini. Therefore it’s a bit unfair to compare the two. Doesn’t help that it hasn’t been updated in 3 years and the others mentioned are newer and fresher. Obviously they sound better and behave like real amps. Tonestack belongs in the former era, so AUv3 and an engine refresh is a must for it it compete. However, it’s quite an awesome app with lots of depth, fun to navigate, stable, and it’s worth checking out on this sale. And if people invested in it a while ago and are getting great sounds from it, more power to them! For 2.99 IAP I might splurge on both of the bass bundles and one guitar bundle, but first I’d like to see if I can make it sound a little more real.

One can turn off the cabinet emulation and put an IR loader after ToneStack if you are using it in something like AUM and if remember correctly, you can load an external standalone IR such as THAFKNAR or iConvolver inside of ToneStack.

IMO, it was one of the better of the old generation of amp sims. A few of the effects are still pretty nifty.

• @Ailerom said:
    Exactly. And given the scare mongering that I bought into about a separate app for auv3, I'm hesitant to drop $40 on this.

Everytime Yonac comes out with a new app, make sure you buy it immediately and buy the premium upgrades right away also. Best value this way.

• I saw this thread surface and thought he might have finally released “ToneStack AU”...

• @espiegel123 said:

@JoyceRoadStudios said:
    Always wanted to try Tonestack but never did, so took it for a spin today for a buck. I understand it has devotees and I actually kind of liked it, I get the appeal, but nevertheless some observations...

One can turn off the cabinet emulation and put an IR loader after ToneStack if you are using it in something like AUM and if remember correctly, you can load an external standalone IR such as THAFKNAR or iConvolver inside of ToneStack.

IMO, it was one of the better of the old generation of amp sims. A few of the effects are still pretty nifty.

@espiegel123 yeah I bought Tonestack for 99 cents the last time around, some months ago. I agree some of the effects are great. I keep opening it just to play with the octaver “Doom & Gloom” preset. I think at the time I was oversaturated with amp so I didn’t splurge on any of the IAPs. They look to be the same price as last time, and I will pass for now. I’d love to see it get updates and go AUv3 as well. Because you mentioned it, out of curiosity I loaded it on my phone without guitar to see if it can host Thafknar or other apps/fx. Indeed you can load Thaf or even a Nembrini fx as an IAA, but doing so only shows the app tab in the chain and you can’t actually access it. I tried with them on and off in the background. Not sure if it works and I just didn’t hear it, but I don’t see a way to actually access Thaf or others after loading them in there.

• For 99p this is a bargain whether it's about to be discontinued or not, or that it's just IAA. The fact is, I'm not even running a guitar through it, but loading it as an effect in AUM and feeding it synths / tone generators and drums - it's a pretty damn versatile effect for a variety of sources...

• I read in their forum, from one of the developers they are working AUV3, but it requires RE-writing everything from scratch. Probably what IK is running into with Amplitube5 for IOS too.