Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Synths with LFO phase point manipulation?

I’m pretty new in the synth world especially on the iPad, so I’m struggling a little with how to ask this question, but let me try:

Does any of you know of any polyphonic synths that let you tweak and manipulate LFO phase points polyphonicly?

It might be easier to understand if you check out this video by Ricky Tines where he demonstrates some very cool things with LFOs and their timings:

I would love to play around with a synth that lets you do these kind of things.

( I searched around the forum, but I don’t think I found any examples of what I’m looking for)

Comments

• edited July 2020

I watched the same video and thought the same thing :)

The Novation in the video ($1200) has a neat trick where you can set all 8 per-voice LFOs to free sync and then reset the phase by tapping the keys in succession (each tap resets the phase of each of the 8 voice LFOs one by one, so they are all running freely at different phases).

I can’t think of any synths on iOS that would allow you to do it exactly as in the video, but it’s possible to do something similar if your synth has 2 or more LFOs that can be assigned ‘per voice’ and can run freely (and with a phase offset dial).

I’m going to put this theory to the test and try setting something similar to this using Synthmaster One and Mela now.

• edited July 2020

Update1 : It’s the per-voice LFO in different phases that is going to be tough on iOS. I can do it per-oscillator, but per-voice is harder. I am going to see if I can fake it somehow.

Update 2: it’s a no-go in Mela for two reasons: (1) the LFOs stay in sync for all voices. (2) the LFO phase cannot be modulated.

• Yeah man, very easy in Drambo.

Drambo has 3 LFO modules. 2 of those modules have direct phase point modulation inputs. (LFO and Mini Stereo LFO)
    The phase point can be modulated by any source - a 2nd lfo, key-tracking (aka note number), an envelope, or a CV sequence for example.
    The LFOs are polyphonic.
    In Novation Peak terminology, 'common', can be switched off by connecting the LFO gate input to the MIDI TO CV module's gate. The lfos would then trigger independently with each new note on.

• ...and before someone else says it....

Drambo.

:p

• Obsidian (NS2) has 5 LFOs and they’re only synced between different voices if you set them to ‘global’. Otherwise, each key press delivers a slightly different out-of-sync variation, or restarts from a specified point in the cycle (this is still per-voice - the reset only applies to the new note). This is without any help from the 20-slot mod matrix. It’s a deep and rewarding synth :)

• whoops, same time 😝

@tk32 said:
    ...and before someone else says it....

Drambo.

:p

• excellent work @aleyas

You didn’t just invoke Drambo; you explained how to do it too.

Kudos.

• @aleyas said:
    Yeah man, very easy in Drambo.

Very interesting,, I will have to check that out. Hopefully there’s some videos on youtube showing it off that I can check before I’ll have to invest in the app :)

• edited July 2020

What synths do you already own @Snarfdk ??

I’ll try to make you a similar patch (if I can)

• Indeed. Our very own @bcrichards has done the world a favor with the info and techniques he's shared here and on his youtube channel. If you search 'Drambo' on youtube the first 8 results or so should be his haha.

If you do decide to take the plunge, the folks in the Drambo thread will help get you on your feet in no time :)

@Snarfdk said:

@aleyas said:
    Yeah man, very easy in Drambo.

Very interesting,, I will have to check that out. Hopefully there’s some videos on youtube showing it off that I can check before I’ll have to invest in the app :)

• edited July 2020

How very kind of you tk32! The synths I have are the following: SynthMaster One, Sunrizer, Nanologue, Synth one, Lagrange and Model D

@tk32 said:
    What synths do you already own @Snarfdk ??

I’ll try to make you a similar patch (if I can)

• edited July 2020

Right, I found them and saw a couple of minutes of a couple of them and I can already feel my mind melting. I’ll have to get back to them after a good nights sleep! My sleep deprived brain is not ready right now :) But wow it looks like an amazing app!

@aleyas said:
    Indeed. Our very own @bcrichards has done the world a favor with the info and techniques he's shared here and on his youtube channel. If you search 'Drambo' on youtube the first 8 results or so should be his haha.

• edited July 2020

@Snarfdk - good news. it looks like Synthmaster One is able to do something very similar with it’s random LFO phase controls.

I am working on a patch for you now. :)

Edit: SM One’s random LFO sync doesn’t work exactly how I hoped it would. It seems to only randomise LFO phase for the first voice, and then holds the same phase for all the others. :(

• @colonel_mustard said:
    Obsidian (NS2) has 5 LFOs and they’re only synced between different voices if you set them to ‘global’. Otherwise, each key press delivers a slightly different out-of-sync variation, or restarts from a specified point in the cycle (this is still per-voice - the reset only applies to the new note). This is without any help from the 20-slot mod matrix. It’s a deep and rewarding synth :)

+1. Once you add the mod matrix, you can do stuff like apply key tracking or velocity to LFO phase, etc.

• @syrupcore said:

@colonel_mustard said:
    Obsidian (NS2) has 5 LFOs and they’re only synced between different voices if you set them to ‘global’. Otherwise, each key press delivers a slightly different out-of-sync variation, or restarts from a specified point in the cycle (this is still per-voice - the reset only applies to the new note). This is without any help from the 20-slot mod matrix. It’s a deep and rewarding synth :)

+1. Once you add the mod matrix, you can do stuff like apply key tracking or velocity to LFO phase, etc.

Ack, I don't think you can directly modulate LFO phase in Obsidian. You can modulate oscillator phase, but then you can't use the 3 main oscillators as LFOs because audio-rate modulation would break the internet (i.e. it's too cpu-intensive for a big polysynth that's designed to run many instances - I think Mr Blip stated this somewhere).

For each LFO you can modulate 'level', 'rate', 'curve', 'warp' and 'loop pattern'. You can do a lot with these LFOs. I sold the mod matrix short btw - it's actually 24 slots - and I didn't even start on how much I love the 5 envelopes yet.

• @colonel_mustard said:

@syrupcore said:

@colonel_mustard said:

Ack, I don't think you can directly modulate LFO phase in Obsidian. You can modulate oscillator phase, but then you can't use the 3 main oscillators as LFOs because audio-rate modulation would break the internet (i.e. it's too cpu-intensive for a big polysynth that's designed to run many instances - I think Mr Blip stated this somewhere).

For each LFO you can modulate 'level', 'rate', 'curve', 'warp' and 'loop pattern'. You can do a lot with these LFOs. I sold the mod matrix short btw - it's actually 24 slots - and I didn't even start on how much I love the 5 envelopes yet.

Ack indeed! While writing the above I had reservations and thought "I should make sure this is true" but didn't. Cheers, now we know and sorry for any confusion I caused.

Another thing Obsidian can't do is set the LFO phase offset specifically per voice like it seems Peak can. Certainly, you can do this in NS2 by stacking as many Obsidian tracks on the same MIDI channel as you like but that's not quite the same as specific LFO settings per voice on a polyphonic patch. Still, +1 to the OMG-its-not-AUv3 reminder of the power of Obsidian.