Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Mute Machine for Mozaic - New Script on Patchstorage

After I made a recent request on this forum only a few hours later @_ki sprung into action and created a really cool midi mute button for 16 individual midi channels. It quite literally behaves like an audio mute button, but on the midi. This way you can mute/unmute midi live or record the midi out of rhythmic on/off muting, or mute portions of the lead To give it space, or whatever.... Basically Muting midi by pressing a button is awesome. If you have Mozaic give it a try. Download on Patchstorage.

https://patchstorage.com/mute-maschine/

PS - I’ll gladly take credit for the name. Lol. Mute Machine! The rest is all @_ki Thanks

Comments

• @Poppadocrock said:
    After I made a recent request on this forum only a few hours later @_ki sprung into action and created a really cool midi mute button for 16 individual midi channels. It quite literally behaves like an audio mute button, but on the midi. This way you can mute/unmute midi live or record the midi out of rhythmic on/off muting, or mute portions of the lead To give it space, or whatever.... Basically Muting midi by pressing a button is awesome. If you have Mozaic give it a try. Download on Patchstorage.

https://patchstorage.com/mute-maschine/

PS - I’ll gladly take credit for the name. Lol. Mute Machine! The rest is all @_ki Thanks

Great!

• McDMcD
    edited July 2020

@_ki has created and uploaded 22 Mozaic scripts on PatchStorage. Many were requested by users to solve problems or provide specific capabilities. He's a highly productive programmer and we are lucky that he also likes to use computers to make music.

@wim has also helped many users with custom scripting work and he's created and uploaded 26 scripts.

• @McD said:
    @_ki has created and uploaded 22 Mozaic scripts on PatchStorage. Many were requested
    by users to solve problems or provide specific capabilities. He's a highly productive programmer and we are lucky that he also likes to use computers to make music.

+1

• @hypnopad said:
    +1

Then there are the users that have defined specific problems that need to be solved and
    sometimes Mozaic, Drambo and Mi-Rack are perfect to create new IOS music making functionality. All three of these tools have patches available from PatchStorage.

• @McD said:

@hypnopad said:
    +1

Then there are the users that have defined specific problems that need to be solved and
    sometimes Mozaic, Drambo and Mi-Rack are perfect to create new IOS music making functionality. All three of these tools have patches available from PatchStorage.

We are a very fortunate bunch here.

• @hypnopad said:

@McD said:
    @_ki has created and uploaded 22 Mozaic scripts on PatchStorage. Many were requested
    by users to solve problems or provide specific capabilities. He's a highly productive programmer and we are lucky that he also likes to use computers to make music.

+1

I know this. @_ki has actually helped me before. I just thought it was a great idea, great Script, and could be useful for many people. I just wanted to alert the masses and once again thank @_ki.

• Yea this forum kicks ass, and that’s mainly due to members like @_ki and others who are so helpful, and generous with their time.

• And i enjoy the music you all do, have a good time watching your videos or play around with cool synth presets or whole sessions posted on the forum or try out other stuff for Mozaic, Drambo or miRack on PatchStorage and have fun reading the chit chat of the regular members :)

For me scripting is like solving soduku‘s - i enjoy logic puzzles. A request in the ‚Request new Moazic scripts HERE’ thread needs to have the right amount of interesting problem, might be used by several people, time needed to implement and test and of course a good more fun than work factor to trigger me.

Some further comments about this script:

I already implemented host-synced pattern channel-muting in the Mutator script, so i didn’t pick up that idea (MutatoR is in the works since january, now version 3.5 with several hundrets of development hours, already broke the more work than fun barrier, but its nearly done now. Hey - i think i wrote the same about two month ago ?) - but there was no manual channel muting to jam around script.

I realized that for this use-case i already have several of the needed parts in another script and only needed to add a few code lines to get the actual muting and unmuting up and running. Then i tried and jammed around with one of my multi-channel midi demo sessions, added the ‚inverse‘ mode since i found it easier to tap in rhythmical ‚un-mutes’ than tap ‚mutes’ and added shift-detection on pad release as i sometimes wanted to change a ‚temporary mute or unmute‘ into a permanent one.

For this scripting project the time to develop factor was quite small. Instead it offered many fun trying out and come up with further ideas moments. All in all 3 enteraining hours from start to publish. I even had enough time to further work on MutatoR :)

• Thanks @_ki this is a great patch. Works very well with FugueMachine should you need some variations

• @_ki I'm really looking forward to Mutator! Hope it's in the home stretch (for reals) now. :smiley:

• Me too. In the last week it avanced from v3.0 to 3.5 by integrating the ‚mute-pattern‘ editor i developed in a separate script.

In general MutatoR is script to add variants to multi channel midi setups, so all the pattern/sequences etc need to send on different midi channels and feed into the script - which i am aware is not that common, but many of my scripts are tailored to just this setting (ToggleChannels, Midi Matrix Switch, Mute Maschine and several unpublished ones).

MutatoR then can do several ‚mutations‘ independantly to each of the channels - one of them is pattern based muting, but in a simpler form than the Mute Maschine.

• With Mute Maschine, you can mute an a sustained chord immediately stops and plays again if unmuted.

• MutatoR‘s mute only acts on the NoteOn, a sustained chord will keep playing if it played before the pattern-mute and if the chord was issued during the pattern mute, it won‘t play when unmuted.

Dev‘s rant about development - TLDR for most, therefore hidden with spoiler:

For the v3.0 of MutatoR one choose between 45 (v3.0) fixed pattern and the GUI was really nice using something like ǀ··· ǀ·ǀǀ or ǀ·ǀ· ǀ·ǀǀ to show the pattern on each of the 16 knobs. Really loved that visually, even though it needed many code-lines.

But there were always cool combinations missing. And the source code hit the max script length, so i could not add any variants in the if / elseif / endif cascades.

It took two weeks to optimize and condense the whole script without breaking it and i managed to add another 30 fixed patterns for v3.1. Still many of the 256 possible pattern were missing and i found out that dialing in one of the 75 patterns using a single knob is very cumbersome and you easily miss the one you wanted to dial in.

That’s where i decided to branch to a different solution with an editor and since the main source was too long, i needed to start a separate script just building the editor using the same vars and structure as in the main MutatoR script.

The knob display is now sub-optimal - (if Bram only had picked up my SetStringConstant and GetStringConstant idea...) - you only get a hex value in combination with the beat divisions choosen for this channel.
    BUT there is an additional pattern visualizer (using 0 and 1s like 1010 1101) together with a highlight of the current step and you either use the channel knob to dial in high nibble, low nibble and the beat divison (dbl-tap to change mode) or use the three additional visualizer knobs.

Dialing-In is stuff is easier than with the 45 or 75 pattern version, Its not stepped in binary 0000, 0001, 0010, 0011, 0100, 0101 ...) which is an odd stepping for non-hey-readers :)
    Thats why i implemented a custom gray code that (in my opionion) is more musician friendly (1111 , 1110, 1100, 1000, 1010, 1011, 1001, 1101 - 0010, 0100, 0101, 0110, 0011, 0001 and 0000) for the knobs value stepping.

Its also possible to dial in 4 step pattern.

Since the new editor used 8 event calls, but the main script only had 4 more events left after removing the code for the fixed pattern stuff, i had to reduce and condense the new code... Yesterday i managed to integrate the new pattern editor into the MutatoR script - and had to cut out most of its internal documentation, as i (again) crossed the max script length.

MutatoR has 2 main views, 3 sub views and 10 editor views - the internal documentation should at least give an overview what thats all about and how to navigate between the views (even if i omit all implemented short-cuts, many knobs offer double-tap). I am already working on an external documentation with screenshots.

Before someone asks: To add the Mute Maschine version of pattern muting, i would need to rewrite the innards of the script - my note-state array already manages a quadruple of values instead just one. And i would need to integrate the Active Note Tracker with over hundret lines which have to optimized by shortening code in other places of the script as it is already at Mozaics limit.

I think its too much work, and perhaps i should better aim at publishing MutatoR :p

• BTW; I updated Mute Maschine to version 1.1

I added an alternative interaction flow without the need for the shift button as someone requested on PatchStorage.

If at least one pad is pressed a Latch: NO/YES knob is shown that allows to 'latch' the current state of all pressed pads even when releasing them. The latch knob supports double-tap.

This should be a lot simpler to use than the shift+pad interaction for latching (which is still there) .

So - to have a latched mute on a previously regular channel, just press its pad (the channel gets temporary muted) and then turn the knob to latch. The channel will stay muted when releasing the pad.
    This also works for multiple pads, or when mixing mute/un-mute pads.

• @_ki said:
    BTW; I updated Mute Maschine to version 1.1

I added an alternative interaction flow without the need for the shift button as someone requested on PatchStorage.

If at least one pad is pressed a Latch: NO/YES knob is shown that allows to 'latch' the current state of all pressed pads even when releasing them. The latch knob supports double-tap.

This should be a lot simpler to use than the shift+pad interaction for latching (which is still there) .

So - to have a latched mute on a previously regular channel, just press its pad (the channel gets temporary muted) and then turn the knob to latch. The channel will stay muted when releasing the pad.
    This also works for multiple pads, or when mixing mute/un-mute pads.

Awesome already downloaded.

• Doesn’t either this patch or the “Mutator” patch basically just ripoff the Kai Aras MM-1 mute master app?

https://itunes.apple.com/app/id1503359958?at=11l3KP&mt=8&uo=4&ct=35028277

• edited July 2020

@skiphunt

Isn't Kai Aras' MM-1 basically just a rip off of the Tascam module by the same name?

"Originality" aside, the Mute Master script is rather different from Kai's MM-1. For one, MM-1 only handles audio, not midi. @_ki's script is also more performance oriented. Finally, MM-1 includes some logic functions which Mute Machine currently doesn't. Worth using both imo.

• _ki_ki
    edited July 2020

@skiphunt Aeeeh - no, not at all.

Kai‘s MuteMaster app mutes the audio of several audio tracks and both mentioned scripts work on midi data. Therefore with Kai‘s app you get for instance propper rythmic gating of a sustained chord, while with the Mute Maschine script, the chord notes are re-triggered so the instrument will go through its attack/decay phase. That will sound different. An audio mute with Kai‘s app is instantly, while a midi note-off mute will play the release phase of the instrument.

As explained in a post above, MutatoR can‘t even do such sustained chord mutes. It only can take away the whole chord so it‘s not started at all and never un-mute it.
    For percussive midi drum tracks with many hits, this may sound a bit like muting, but it isn‘t as the sounds are all playing including threir release phase and are not cut off exactly at the mute beat. And the MutatoR script does lots of other modifications to the midi data, not just note-on omissions.

If you knew me (and wim) a bit better, you would know that we both try avoid publishing scripts that offer the same feature set as exisiting (or upcomming) commercial apps, as this would harm the income of the devs.

Some of our scripts features overlapp and perhaps do parts of what a specific app does, but we try to develop things things that are somewhat different.

And of cource, you never get the streamlined user experience of a polished app when using moazic scripts as all scripts have to use a fixed set of 5 ui layouts :)