Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

app that works like abelton live

i need an app that you can record directly into. quantize those clips so they loop smoothly. then i can trigger the loops to play back and build a song out of that.
what app does this? and if not why is t there one?

Comments

• wimwim
    edited July 2020

Zenbeats is the closest.
    You might need to supplement with a beefier audio editor like Auditor depending on the quality of your loops, but generally not.

• Beatmaker 3.

• LK maybe now that it’s AUv3

• I’d say ZenBeats, and Gadget ( kinda sorta ) plus you can export from Gadget to Ableton

• GarageBand

• Record midi, audio or both

Midi - LK and zenbeats
    Midi + audio - zenbeats

• @eross said:
    i need an app that you can record directly into. quantize those clips so they loop smoothly. then i can trigger the loops to play back and build a song out of that.
    what app does this? and if not why is t there one?

1. GarageBand band loop mode .. very much has ableton mentality

2. Launchpad+Blocswave

• @Poppadocrock said:
    LK maybe now that it’s AUv3

what is LK? isn’t that just for abelton ? or can it launch clips of its own?

• @eross said:

@Poppadocrock said:
    LK maybe now that it’s AUv3

what is LK? isn’t that just for abelton ? or can it launch clips of its own?

AuV3 sequencer with clip launching etc.

Looks great, but has a little timing issue which will hopefully be fixed soon.

(When you launch a clip/scene, timing is a bit weird for one bar, but straightens out for the rest until the next scene change or clip launch)

• zenbeats? does it loop
    audio or midi clips?

• @eross said:
    zenbeats? does it loop
    audio or midi clips?

Both

• I'd say use Live if Live does what you need. Even the Lite version is better environment for DAW duties than anything on iOS imo.
    None of the mentioned apps will do better than the other, you will still need to split work between several apps, find workarounds, deal with issues etc...
    I hope sooner or later we'll see a DAW that actually stable and can do all this 'basic' things in one place, but apparently it's a difficult thing to do and it doesn't pay off so it may take a while.

Actually thinking about it... I can't see at all big boys from desktops creating competition for their own product just to sell in a awkward way for fraction of price. I'm also loosing faith in indy devs... can't blame them though... by the time they catch up with 3yo plan other things will emerge.

• @0tolerance4silence said:
    I'd say use Live if Live does what you need. Even the Lite version is better environment for DAW duties than anything on iOS imo.
    None of the mentioned apps will do better than the other, you will still need to split work between several apps, find workarounds, deal with issues etc...
    I hope sooner or later we'll see a DAW that actually stable and can do all this 'basic' things in one place, but apparently it's a difficult thing to do and it doesn't pay off so it may take a while.

Actually thinking about it... I can't see at all big boys from desktops creating competition for their own product just to sell in a awkward way for fraction of price. I'm also loosing faith in indy devs... can't blame them though... by the time they catch up with 3yo plan other things will emerge.

Sadly this. While there are a few apps that may somewhat mimic Ableton, there’s nothing in iOS that comes close in terms of ease of use and functionality. Definitely a lot of missing features, half measures and work-arounds currently.

• I’d say keep an eye on Zenbeats.. it’s the closest thing we have at the moment.. they seem to be updating fairly consistently.. so.. ??

• @royor said:
    I’d say keep an eye on Zenbeats.. it’s the closest thing we have at the moment.. they seem to be updating fairly consistently.. so.. ??

interesting ,so how do you record in audio clips and playback in zenbeats? can it be recorded into in AUM or Audiobus?

• Different workflow, but I'm happy with AUM+Drambo+some midi tools, using the flexi sampler for recordIng/playback.
    IMO it gives you even more freedom on how you can handle your clips than you can with Live.

• @mbncp said:
    Different workflow, but I'm happy with AUM+Drambo+some midi tools, using the flexi sampler for recordIng/playback.
    IMO it gives you even more freedom on how you can handle your clips than you can with Live.

that’s cool, how do you use it. you record in to flexi sampler. and then how do you playback the recorded clip? also, can you record ; let’s 4 different clips, and trigger play them back in time with each other? sounds cool

• Yes we are not there on ios yet. Hopefully ARM macs will open the door for a better garageband/Logic on ipads soon.

• @eross said:

@mbncp said:
    Different workflow, but I'm happy with AUM+Drambo+some midi tools, using the flexi sampler for recordIng/playback.

that’s cool, how do you use it. you record in to flexi sampler. and then how do you playback the recorded clip? also, can you record ; let’s 4 different clips, and trigger play them back in time with each other? sounds cool

You trigger the clip(s) either by entering a note on the step sequencer at the start of the pattern (or anywhere ..), select trigger or hold in flexi and your clip will play, or you can trigger the clips from external midi source (your keyboard, atom, a mozaic script, ...) .
    I use a single flexi sampler on each track so I have only 8 clips for each instance of drambo, makes it easier to set your triggers, but you could also save the audio and import all of them in a single instance of the regular sampler.

• @mbncp said:

@eross said:

@mbncp said:

You trigger the clip(s) either by entering a note on the step sequencer at the start of the pattern (or anywhere ..), select trigger or hold in flexi and your clip will play, or you can trigger the clips from external midi source (your keyboard, atom, a mozaic script, ...) .
    I use a single flexi sampler on each track so I have only 8 clips for each instance of drambo, makes it easier to set your triggers, but you could also save the audio and import all of them in a single instance of the regular sampler.

cool thanks. i’m gonna go try that out now. thanks

• @eross said:

@royor said:
    I’d say keep an eye on Zenbeats.. it’s the closest thing we have at the moment.. they seem to be updating fairly consistently.. so.. ??

interesting ,so how do you record in audio clips and playback in zenbeats? can it be recorded into in AUM or Audiobus?

If I’m using Zenbeats, I’ll do everything inside of it..
    I’ll use my Focusrite 2i4 interface as an input for my guitar and then use any AUv3 that I want.. or just setup synths + drums like you would in AUM + AB3..
    You can record + playback in Loop Builder mode (like Ableton clips) OR in the Timeline (like Ableton arrangement)
    Can you use AUM or AB3 as an input to Zenbeats? Good question..at the moment, I don’t think so.. obviously you could record something in AUM + import that audio into a clip or timeline in Zenbeats..
    Check out the how-to series from Roland Zenbeats

• @Apex said:

@0tolerance4silence said:
    I'd say use Live if Live does what you need. Even the Lite version is better environment for DAW duties than anything on iOS imo.

Sadly this. While there are a few apps that may somewhat mimic Ableton, there’s nothing in iOS that comes close in terms of ease of use and functionality. Definitely a lot of missing features, half measures and work-arounds currently.

This is my experience too. With the exception of a few apps like Samplr and Borderlands, anything that can be done in ios apps can be done in Ableton and since Ableton contains all this functionality in a single "app" workflow is more efficient.

This is not to knock ios. I love the fun, creative patchwork of ios.

• @mbncp said:

@eross said:

@mbncp said:

do you have a preset you can share for your sampling and playback setup. i tried coming up with one. but it isn’t very quick. just curious to see your layout.

• Well it’s very basic, I made a template with 8 flexi, a text box to write what I recoded, and a mixer to start with.
    So in AUM I send audio from the synth to Drambo(MFx) and hit record, that’s about it.

• wimwim
    edited July 2020

@eross said:

@royor said:

You can only record audio into Zenbeats through an interface or the device mic. You can't record into it from AUM or Audiobus. To get audio into Zenbeats from AUM you'd need to save audio files and import to Zenbeats.

When I use Zenbeats, which is more and more lately, I do everything in there. It's quite as spontaneous and flexible as AB and AUM, but is vastly easier to turn something into a composition rather than just a jam.

• @mbncp said:

Well it’s very basic, I made a template with 8 flexi, a text box to write what I recoded, and a mixer to start with.
    So in AUM I send audio from the synth to Drambo(MFx) and hit record, that’s about it.

very helpful thanks man

• @eross said:

@mbncp said:

Well it’s very basic, I made a template with 8 flexi, a text box to write what I recoded, and a mixer to start with.

very helpful thanks man

how do you monitor the sound being recorded into flexi?

• @eross said:

@eross said:

@mbncp said:

very helpful thanks man

never mind i just found it. lol

• @eross said:

@eross said:

@eross said:

@mbncp said:

very helpful thanks man

never mind i just found it. lol

nope just joking. i found the monitor switch i. flexi bit it does nothing. how do you monitor?