Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Best portable iPhone/iPad interface

I’m interested in buying a portable (2in/2out to 4in/4out), battery powered audio interface with 48v phantom power, a hi-z guitar in, and separate headphone jack. It appears that these devices seem to stand out as favorites:

IK Multimedia iRig Pro Duo I/O

Zoom U-24

Zoom U-44

Are there any others that you can think of that may be a superior match for me?

Please also vote your favorite.

Poll
  1. Which is best?35 votes
    1. IK Multimedia iRig Pro Duo I/O
      14.29%
    2. Zoom U-24
      20.00%
    3. Zoom U-44
      34.29%
    4. Other — please state device and reasons why it’s better.
      31.43%

Comments

• Wow, I just posted a similar thread 1 minute ago. I will read this thread with passion. Thanks

• Saw this on Reddit.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Check out the CEntrance MixerFace R4. Really solidly built, great sound. Rechargeable battery through USB. 48v phantom power. HiZ. No proprietary cable.

https://centrance.com/mixerface/

• U44 is great. It's my portable go-to.

• @Montreal_Music said:
    Saw this on Reddit.

One person with a very specific problem. Our failure rate is very very low on iRig HD 2.

• @BCKeys said:
    Im an Apogee fan but quite expensive, I voted « other » because you’re not considering the Focusrite Scarlett products in your poll, I can't tell you that it's superior to the products you're considering, but the Scarlett's are always getting positive feedbacks.

True. I have a Focusrite solo and it works great! But I’m needing more channels and I’d like to be more portable and not have to use a powered hub to do things.

• @ikmultimedia said:

@Montreal_Music said:
    Saw this on Reddit.

One person with a very specific problem. Our failure rate is very very low on iRig HD 2.

Had my iRig HD2 for years and never failed me. Solid little interface thingy.

• @mjcouche said:
    Check out the CEntrance MixerFace R4. Really solidly built, great sound. Rechargeable battery through USB. 48v phantom power. HiZ. No proprietary cable.

This looks like a nice one! But it is a wee bit more than I’m looking to spend. I just bought a Reamp box and can only afford a couple hundred right now. 🙂

• edited July 2020

@Audiojunkie said:

@mjcouche said:
    Check out the CEntrance MixerFace R4. Really solidly built, great sound. Rechargeable battery through USB. 48v phantom power. HiZ. No proprietary cable.

This looks like a nice one! But it is a wee bit more than I’m looking to spend. I just bought a Reamp box and can only afford a couple hundred right now. 🙂

Funny thing! I originally bought the zoom U-24, because it was on sale for $108. I did this yesterday. Today, my order was canceled because the seller accidentally priced it wrong—I knew the price was too good to be true! 🤣

Long story short, I ended up paying more, and getting the Mixerface with rechargable battery. 🙂

Thank you for bringing this device to my attention! 🙂

• edited July 2020

@Audiojunkie said:
    Funny thing! I originally bought the zoom U-24, because it was on sale for $108. I did this yesterday. Today, my order was canceled because the seller accidentally priced it wrong—I knew the price was too good to be true! 🤣

When I bought my U-24 from amazon recently, 2 different departments of amazon (NOT amazon partners) listed it for radically different prices (30% different).

EDIT: and the prices varied wildly day-by-day

Keep your eyes open.

• That used to be the price of the Zoom U24 but their prices went up post pandemic. I got U44 for $129 last year.

• edited July 2020

@Audiojunkie said:

@Audiojunkie said:

@mjcouche said:

Long story short, I ended up paying more, and getting the Mixerface with rechargable battery. 🙂

Ah man sorry to hear that. But glad you got the MixerFace. Which version did you get? I hope it works for you and sounds great!

• I’m also interested on your feedback on your Mixerface :)

• @mjcouche said:

@Audiojunkie said:

@Audiojunkie said:

@mjcouche said:

Ah man sorry to hear that. But glad you got the MixerFace. Which version did you get? I hope it works for you and sounds great!

I got the version that has the rechargeable battery. I didn’t need the SD card or the microphones. So it was around $350. With tax I think it came to $375.

• @Janosax said:
    I’m also interested on your feedback on your Mixerface :)

I’ll try to give a review once I’ve had it and had a chance to play with it. 🙂

• One thing that won me over to the Mixerface is that it is compatible with Linux. 🙂

• There is a deal on the Zoom U-44 in Canada. Do the Zoom U-44 sounds as good as the Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen?

• @Montreal_Music said:
    There is a deal on the Zoom U-44 in Canada. Do the Zoom U-44 sounds as good as the Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen?

Nop. Got my answer. Nothing beat the Scarlett 3rd gen.

• For iPhone only usage the apogee one brings a unique feature set including the ability to be battery powered. It’s Kinda dated at this point but still unique.

For all other things iOS, The Scarlett 3rd gen is very nice also. I like it a lot for what it is. But something about it feels like it’s a budget interface (which it is), and it lacks certain features that for a few dollars more you could get with other interfaces.

My favorite budget interface at the moment is the motu m2/m4. Its really a steal and I think it’s the best sub 400-500 interface I’ve ever used that isnt Apogee. It really leaves little to be desired, especially if the rest of your set up is decent and your plugin library is good.

I’m curious about the new evo interface personally. Seems really nice and portable for the price.

• @ikmultimedia said:

I have the exact problem others have had: iRig HD2 , you lose one channel of the headphones. Its been two service years, but it got very light use , at home only, but now have lost one side of the headphones. Out of warranty of course. It still functions as an input, but that connector is getting loose as well.

• @ipadbeatmaking said:
    For iPhone only usage the apogee one brings a unique feature set including the ability to be battery powered. It’s Kinda dated at this point but still unique.

For all other things iOS, The Scarlett 3rd gen is very nice also. I like it a lot for what it is. But something about it feels like it’s a budget interface (which it is), and it lacks certain features that for a few dollars more you could get with other interfaces.

My favorite budget interface at the moment is the motu m2/m4. Its really a steal and I think it’s the best sub 400-500 interface I’ve ever used that isnt Apogee. It really leaves little to be desired, especially if the rest of your set up is decent and your plugin library is good.

I’m curious about the new evo interface personally. Seems really nice and portable for the price.

Wow Motu looks like a killer choice. Is there a USB-C to Lightning cable included in the box?

• @Montreal_Music said:
    There is a deal on the Zoom U-44 in Canada. Do the Zoom U-44 sounds as good as the Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen?

Tell me more about this deal...

• edited July 2020

@ahallam said:

@Montreal_Music said:

Tell me more about this deal...

I don't know what is the regular price, but at L&M it's 240$. https://www.long-mcquade.com/88152/Pro-Audio---Recording/Audio-Interfaces/Zoom/U-44-Compact-4-In-4-Out-Audio-Interface.htm

I found it on BestBuy at 190$.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/fr-ca/produit/zoom-interface-audio-portative-a-4-entrees-et-4-sorties-u-44-de-zoom-u-44/10480955

• @Montreal_Music said:

@ipadbeatmaking said:
    For iPhone only usage the apogee one brings a unique feature set including the ability to be battery powered. It’s Kinda dated at this point but still unique.

Wow Motu looks like a killer choice. Is there a USB-C to Lightning cable included in the box?

No USB-C to lightning interface in the box. For it to work with the lightning you’ll need the Camera connection kit. If you have a USB-C iPad the the USB-C to USB-C cable is all you’ll need. I have the M2 and like it.

• edited July 2020

@lsd87 said:

@Montreal_Music said:

@ipadbeatmaking said:

No USB-C to lightning interface in the box. For it to work with the lightning you’ll need the Camera connection kit. If you have a USB-C iPad the the USB-C to USB-C cable is all you’ll need. I have the M2 and like it.

What @lsd87 said 👆

I use mine on a 2018 iPad Pro with usb-c

• I like my U-24 a lot but if I drop on an Audiohub I'll sell it.

• I recently discovered that I’m losing R/L separation on my Zoom U44 jack inputs. I can pan hard left or right at all stages up to that point, then it’s just a vague bias to one side or the other afterwards. It’s currently relegated to MIDI/USB interface duties.

• @ipadbeatmaking said:

@lsd87 said:

@Montreal_Music said:

@ipadbeatmaking said:

What @lsd87 said 👆

I use mine on a 2018 iPad Pro with usb-c

2020 iPad Pro + M4 here. Also MacBook Pro. It’s an excellent interface, outperforming a Clarett 2pre which went to a new home. I’ve tracked acoustic and electric guitars (amp & direct), piano, trumpet, trombone, tuba, and vocals through the MOTU preamps and never felt like I needed anything “better”.

USB-C to USB-C is effortless. Like @lsd87 said, if you have a Lightning device, you’ll need the Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter. IME, the Apple branded one is more reliable than the knockoffs.

• The new MOTU M2 and M4 are one of the few budget priced interfaces that are DC coupled. This lets you translated computer based midi to CV allowing you’re computer or tablet etc to control your modular rig.