Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Help - I have no idea what I am doing! Equipment needed for a LIVE setting

I am a singer, who plays a little keys, in a live setting. I've got an iPad 2, and loopy and garage band. I have a shure wireless mic. I have two keyboards that I will replace with an iRig pro keys (Unless someone can recommend something different)

Here's what I want to do: My goal is to be able to do loops with both the keyboard AND vocals. Also be able to have vocal effects (harmony, re verb, maybe even some loops) I want to run a keyboard and vocals into the ipad then out to the Behringer mixer/bose sound system.

I have NO IDEA how to get where I want to go. I don't want to spend a huge amount of money. I've been reading some of the posts: originally I was going to get iRig, but it hasn't gotten great reviews here. Then I read about the Alesis iO Dock Pro. And then the Behringer iS202, but some of the reviews say that the Behringer has crackling noises.

Diagrams would be useful, and responses "for dummy's" would be great too - just imagine you are trying to explain to your 90 year old grandmother who has never even used a computer before what to purchase and how to hook it all up - I'm not THAT bad, but hopefully you'll see where I'm going.

My nearest BIG BOX music store is over an hour away - and I get very overwhelmed when I walk in there. And they are SALES people after all. I just want to make sure I am getting EXACTLY what I need for LIVE performances, and not studio recording.

Thank you!

Comments

• If you want an all in one solution that will lighten your load then Novation x station is what you need. It has a built in audio interface but is also a midi controller. It has built in effects (reverb and delay among others) for your vocals and can be set up to play any of the keyboard apps you want and record them into loopy via audiobus. I have one and love it as it is just such a compact package. It has xlr inputs for your mic. The sound will come from x stations audio out so your ipad will only be connected via cck.

This is what worked for me. Of course we don't know what your other two keyboards are!

• take a look at this list and see what meets your needs:

http://auriaapp.com/Support/auria-audio-interfaces

You may be able to keep your current keyboard controllers and just get by with an audio interface with MIDI i/o.

One issue, on an iPad 2 you can definitely do all you mention simultaneously (vocal effects, synths controlled by external keyboard, and loops). The problem is that you'll be pushing the limits of your iPad and will have to manage your resources pretty closely.

have fun, let us know what you decide on.

• Thank you Supadom! My other two keyboards are both yamaha's - one is a little portable keyboard, and the other is a P105 (which has become too large to carry to gigs.)

You wrote "your ipad will only be connected via cck" - don't mean to sound stupid, but what does cck stand for?

• It stands for camera connection kit. It is a USB adapter that's all

• edited March 2014

So basically you would connect the keyboard to the ipad with a printer cable, one end going into the keyboard and other into the USB adapter (cck) and you plug your microphone into one of the xlr inputs on the keyboard. When hooked up the sound will start coming out of the headphone out of the keyboard as well as L and R jacks. You can choose whichever is more suitable for your PA system.

As far as software goes you'll need to buy audiobus which will allow you to record loops from garage band into loopy as well as the mic signal. Once you've launched garage band in the input of audiobus and loopy in the output you should be good to record. I think you'll need to select the garage band instrument you want to use for it to be audible. You will need to do some reading of loopy's manual too but that's a small fish.

Otherwise as @Hmtx suggested you may shop around for a usb audio interface with midi which will allow you to plug in your microphone and also a midi keyboard. If one of your existing keyboards has midi out then you may use that and save yourself some money. Novation x station is a great machine with a lovely synth keyboard action but admittedly may be a bit of an overkill in your case as it is also a virtual analog synthesizer which you probably won't need.