Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Akai MPC beats is what iMPC Pro should have been

13»

Comments

• Yeah seems that loop lock is on/off for the sample regardless of the program. But you can still set the loop points differently per program. I've had my mpc since 2019 and a still occasional have to scratch my head

• @mrcanister said:
    Yeah seems that loop lock is on/off for the sample regardless of the program. But you can still set the loop points differently per program. I've had my mpc since 2019 and a still occasional have to scratch my head

At least for 'Drum' programs 'Note On' for the pad partially solves the loop issue.

To work around this 'glitch' for Key Group programs I just set a loop in the sample-editor prior to using it in a Key Group program. If I by accident assigned the sample to a Key Group program prior to adding a loop to it I create a new program and assign the sample to it...

After Googling the recommendation seems to be to add a loop in the sample editor (even if it's not used) to work around this issue...

Over all I'm starting to get hang of MPC Beats but I don't yet feel 100% comfortable with it :D

• @mrcanister I've come to the conclusion that the loop mode (Forward, Reverse, Alternate) button in the 'Wave View' when in Program Edit in MPC Beats is 'broken'. There is no effect what so ever changing its setting, can't even turn off the looping :D

When I manage to get a looping working in 'Pad' mode (for program independent loop start & end points) I enable and set a temporary loop and mode in sample edit and re-load/reference the sample in the keygroup program.

Changing the loop mode has no effect?! I have to take the roundtrip to sample edit change it and reselect the sample...

Now that this 'glitch' is sorted out I can start to dig deeper :)

• @Samu
    I don't use the software, i've got a Live. But I've checked and it seems to work as expected with 2.8.1.
    Setting loop points and direction in program edit for keygroups works, no need to switch back n fo to sample edit.
    Nobody else comment on this? Maybe you could try another forum or reinstalling?

• @mrcanister said:

Thanks, it could be a glitch in the free Beats app as it is a separate build even though it has the same 2.8.1 version.
    I did try to remove the settings and temp-files and also another account on the same computer, same thing.

I'll try various alt,control,shift clicks here and there that are used in other places of the app (like setting folder path presets).

Cheers and thanks!

• @Samu said:

@mrcanister said:

Thanks, it could be a glitch in the free Beats app as it is a separate build even though it has the same 2.8.1 version.
    I did try to remove the settings and temp-files and also another account on the same computer, same thing.

I'll try various alt,control,shift clicks here and there that are used in other places of the app (like setting folder path presets).

Cheers and thanks!

I tried in the full software and it works. I did not install beats yet but should be exactly the same.

• @Samu said:
    @mrcanister I've come to the conclusion that the loop mode (Forward, Reverse, Alternate) button in the 'Wave View' when in Program Edit in MPC Beats is 'broken'. There is no effect what so ever changing its setting, can't even turn off the looping :D

When I manage to get a looping working in 'Pad' mode (for program independent loop start & end points) I enable and set a temporary loop and mode in sample edit and re-load/reference the sample in the keygroup program.

Changing the loop mode has no effect?! I have to take the roundtrip to sample edit change it and reselect the sample...

I remember this video had it in it. Try watching this from Tubedigga

• edited July 2020

@hansjbs said:

@Samu said:
    @mrcanister I've come to the conclusion that the loop mode (Forward, Reverse, Alternate) button in the 'Wave View' when in Program Edit in MPC Beats is 'broken'. There is no effect what so ever changing its setting, can't even turn off the looping :D

Should be done the same way in software

• It's definitely a bug in the MPC Beats app.
    The changes to the loop mode setting does not stick when switching between grid and wave view...

Got a confirmation on that when I reported it so let the wait for 2.8.2 begin :D

• I know we like to dig in software/hardware and not read the manual or look at some tutorials but here’s a breakdown from Akai and if you go on YouTube there are plenty of tutorials.

• @Samu said:
    It's definitely a bug in the MPC Beats app.
    The changes to the loop mode setting does not stick when switching between grid and wave view...

Got a confirmation on that when I reported it so let the wait for 2.8.2 begin :D

Ahhh ok.

• Ok... Maschine vs MPC?

• @WillieNegus said:

@RajahP said:
    How do you get the Native Instruments Control Editor’s Templates to make a Maschine controller work with this?

Edit.. maybe someone can zip it and post it here... They say it’s downloadable in your Akai account... but...

If you haven’t found it yet, you’ll find it packaged in the mpc2 demo here:

https://www.akaipro.com/mpc-software-2

They did an excellent job with the template. Mk3 auto maps most of the relevant controls and the rest easy to do manually.

That said, it’s just MPC 2 Lite. Nice free gift but I prefer Maschine to Akai these days.

Only wish is NI would buy Bm3 and make it iMaschine like Roland did with Stagelight. A man can dream.

Thanks ... Did not see your post until... What make Maschine better for you? BM3... That would be nice... Export to Maschine...

• @WillieNegus said:

@RajahP said:

@WillieNegus said:

@RajahP said:
    How do you get the Native Instruments Control Editor’s Templates to make a Maschine controller work with this?

Edit.. maybe someone can zip it and post it here... They say it’s downloadable in your Akai account... but...

If you haven’t found it yet, you’ll find it packaged in the mpc2 demo here:

https://www.akaipro.com/mpc-software-2

They did an excellent job with the template. Mk3 auto maps most of the relevant controls and the rest easy to do manually.

That said, it’s just MPC 2 Lite. Nice free gift but I prefer Maschine to Akai these days.

Only wish is NI would buy Bm3 and make it iMaschine like Roland did with Stagelight. A man can dream.

Thanks ... Did not see your post until... What make Maschine better for you? BM3... That would be nice... Export to Maschine...

After decades with akai products, most recently Push 2, Maschine/NI just clicks in a new deeper way for me. Resisted trying it out for years as I was an almost tribally loyal Akai head. I got an amazing deal on MK3 + M32 + Jam + Komplete 12 when quarantine started and haven’t used anything since. Well, I still use my iPad but as an instrument/Sampling source in Maschine. It’s all really immediate and intuitive besides an instrument, sound, effect library second to none.

Edit: I’m also really into Logic Pro and MK3 is an amazing controller for it.

Yep.. The MPC seem to be a challenge to learn.. time that can be spent in Maschine.. have not even mastered LOCK as of yet.. Hopefully iMachine will get Love from NI soon..

• edited July 2020

Hmm, i tried to figure out how to manage Q-control with my Launchkey Mini Mk1 (connected with iConnect Audio4+). No info whatsoever to be found. Pads, keys and octave up/down does work. I can't configure other controls with Midi-learn. It won't do anything, although it shows midi-messages in the midi monitor.

• Ahh, i figured it out. You have to turn on the control option in the Midi/Sync menu in Preferences. I still had to manual learn the rotary knobs.
    I also saw, you can use Rex-files...Still have to figure it out how they implement it.

• @mrcanister sorry to bug but this is the 'bug' in more detail...

Changing loop mode in the 'wave' view has no effect.

But if I in the sample editor select the 'program' tab the loop mode selection work ie.

This 'bug' is also confirmed by Akai so I do hope they fix it...
    There's another issue with when using multiple samples per layer in a key group but that is already 'known'.

So me, I'm looking forward to 2.8.2 :D

• @Samu
    i've just downloaded it out of curiosity (i'm not a computer music man)
    yep, seems the looping's gooshed. it's a really intrinsic features, so i'd imagine akai will sort it pretty quick.
    i quite like the ui, but i like my mpc better for navigating round a lot more.
    so, have you submitted a bug report to akai, how did you go about that? since 2.8 the ability to mute a track and still be able to audition/play a program has gone, so i thought i'd hopefully request it's return. it's like bm3 all over. lol. please, don't fk up the mutes!

• i guess it's same codebase as MPC hardware firmware.. comsidering fact that HW firmware is coded using JUCE, i bet it will be released for iOS in not that far future ;-)

• @mrcanister said:

Yepp I've reported it...

The app has a built-in report a bug function that sends you to a web-form so I used that.
    Only reply I got was that the bug is confirmed, nothing more, nothing less...

I've watched a bunch of MPC videos on the hardware long, long time before I even downloaded the software.

Let's just say the release of MPC Beats made me dig out my MPK Mini Mk2 from storage and the integration is pretty neat but endless encoders would make the experience a bit better...

...but who knows, maybe Akai will release MPK Mini Mk3 with 2 banks of endless encoders :D

I'm starting to get comfortable with key group programs, layering using 'layers' rather than layering samples on one layer LOL is the way to go and with 128 layers in a program each with 4 effects slots, filters etc it's plenty enough for me.

It will be nice to see if iMPC Pro will ever catch up...
    ...it should since it's branded and endorsed by Akai and I don't think they want the brand to be damaged too much.

Still I would rather use MPC Beats even as it is with 8 midi and 2 audio on my iPad than on my computer...
    ...iMPC Pro 2 is still a deluxe bug and crash fiesta...

Cheers!

• edited August 2020

AKAI just dropped MPK Mini Mk3 damned...
    https://www.akaipro.com/mpk-mini-mk3

I want one :D

Too bad they missed the transport controls...

• @Samu said:
    AKAI just dropped MPK Mini Mk3 damned...
    https://www.akaipro.com/mpk-mini-mk3

I want one :D

Too bad they missed the transport controls...

I was about to tag you😂😂

• Not only transport control but also BT connectivity. I would like to see a 37 or 32 keys version with more controls, pads and audio interface.

• @hansjbs said:
    Not only transport control but also BT connectivity. I would like to see a 37 or 32 keys version with more controls, pads and audio interface.

And 2 banks of 8 knobs...
    ...I mean it's software so A/B could add an additional 8 knobs just like they add 8 additional pads.
    And a 'shift' button to access pads/knobs 9-16 without having to switch banks.

I have a feeling a MPK 'non mini' controller is also in the works...
    Maybe Akai will go all in on that one with Audio & Midi In/Out?
    (Think MPC Live with a full size 61 key keyboard like the old Akai S1000KB hehe).

Wonder if the rumored BM3 update will and an option to assign knobs in the sample editor?
    MPC Beats is making me itch, I want it on the iPad too LOL...
    (In some areas BM3 is still better but as a whole MPC Beats is way, way ahead in terms of polish and usability).

Cheers!

• edited August 2020

@Samu said:

@hansjbs said:
    Not only transport control but also BT connectivity. I would like to see a 37 or 32 keys version with more controls, pads and audio interface.

And 2 banks of 8 knobs...
    ...I mean it's software so A/B could add an additional 8 knobs just like they add 8 additional pads.
    And a 'shift' button to access pads/knobs 9-16 without having to switch banks.

I have a feeling a MPK 'non mini' controller is also in the works...
    Maybe Akai will go all in on that one with Audio & Midi In/Out?
    (Think MPC Live with a full size 61 key keyboard like the old Akai S1000KB hehe).

Wonder if the rumored BM3 update will and an option to assign knobs in the sample editor?
    MPC Beats is making me itch, I want it on the iPad too LOL...
    (In some areas BM3 is still better but as a whole MPC Beats is way, way ahead in terms of polish and usability).

Cheers!

I know the feeling. I want Beats on iPad too. Also BM3 update rumor is 👀👀. Let me stop 😂😂😂
    I don’t know anything about the update but it is coming.