Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Mastering your own music

Lots of interest in mastering here the last few days with Final Touch and other mastering apps getting released, thought some people might find this guide I wrote on mastering your own music helpful:

http://tarekith.com/assets/pdfs/Mastering.pdf

I'm a full-time mastering engineer as well, happy to answer any questions people might have. I have a broken hand at the moment and can only type with one hand, so please excuse any typos! :)

Comments

• Thanks! I will definitely take a look at that with the "Audio Mastering" app being updated and the new Positive Grid app on its way. Probably a bit pricey and over-my-head for a bedroom hack like me, but I'm already doing stuff on iPad I never thought I'd attempt!

• Thanks for sharing your knowledge, Tarekith. I've only scanned through the PDF and some of your website. This stood out:

"Let me say this again, in case you skipped over it. If you are writing and releasing your own songs, there is no reason to “master” them per se.

Everything you need to do to make a song sound polished and balanced can be done in the mixdown, and this is where you should focus 100% of all your attention."

I also noticed you use Ableton Live in your guides. Is that the software you favor for mixing? Any others?

• Generally I prefer Studio One when people are paying me for mixdowns, there's just a lot of functions it has that speed up the workflow compared to Live. But I'm comfortable mixing in Live, PT, and Logic if need be.

• Thanks for sharing.

• Yes, many thanks.

• @telecharge said:

Thanks for sharing your knowledge, Tarekith. I've only scanned through the PDF and some of your website. This stood out:

"Let me say this again, in case you skipped over it. If you are writing and releasing your own songs, there is no reason to “master” them per se.

Everything you need to do to make a song sound polished and balanced can be done in the mixdown, and this is where you should focus 100% of all your attention."

I also noticed you use Ableton Live in your guides. Is that the software you favor for mixing? Any others?

I must admit I find it hard to believe that anyone who is serious about releasing their own music would miss the opportunity to sprinkle fairy dust over their finished track. Yes, you could effectively add mastering to the output stage for the mix, but even then a new listen will reveal small things that you wanna fix.

I always output a little cool so I can get the final punch at mastering stage, where I also like to bring in the stereo image and filter out any subs that might have crept in.

My mixes always sound great to my ear, but they always sound better when they've been mastered. I suppose this might be a workflow thing more than a taste thing. What does everyone else do?

• Sure, there's definitely a chance to improve things in mastering, fairy dust if you will. IME a lot of people spend too much time trying to fix their mix issues in the mastering phase though, or try too hard to fairy dust it and make things worse.

The guide is primarily for beginners, certainly as people get more experience and a better ear the chance to improve things at each step of the process increases.

• Thank you @Tarekith very much for sharing such valuable information.

• No problem guys, glad you find it useful. There's more guides here if people are interested:

http://tarekith.com/helpandsounds/

• Mastering is a lot of fun, I've been using Mastering (the app) but can't wait to try Final Touch when I get the chance to buy it.

• I agree mastering is the favorite part of the process for me too. :)

• Thank you so much for posting this! I'm just a hobbyist so there's still a lot I need to learn. This will be most valuable to me!