Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

I am so retro today... i made RETRO53280

Hi folks.

As i tend to post not so many creations here but i know that some people here actually like tracker-style and SID music (as much as i do) i decided to post it here:

All sounds/synths/effects iOS, except the drums - they are from the Model:Cycles.
Tell me what you think, i am really interested.

Kind regards and take care.

Comments

• I really liked this... wish it had a black and white sci-fi movie to enjoy with it. What is tracker and SID?

• Hehe, should almost be called 53280,0 for the black border color ;)

I can spot SquareSynth and Sunrizer but there's one I can't figure out unless it's Shapesynth?!

Nice Jam and who said chip music has to be boring :D

• edited July 2020

@Samu i thought of you when i mentioned trackers and SID :smile:
    Glad you found it. And yes, the other one is Shapesynth.

@LinearLineman
    Trackers are old-school music programs and SID is the soundchip of the Commodore 64.

Thank you both for taking your time!

• @MrBlaschke said:
    @Samu i thought of you when i mentioned trackers and SID :smile:
    Glad you found it. And yes, the other one is Shapesynth.

In case you missed it in another thread, here's how to do SID-Style chip-arpeggios with Drambo :)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/5pi3kv9x6zk6dww/DramboChipArp.MP4?dl=0

• @Samu Actually i did miss that, so thanks for that!
    Time to bring out the Gimp... :smile:

• edited July 2020

WOW man. Insane stuff! Lovely!
    And now please tell me you've done the graphics animation with Pythonista 😁😎

Congrats to this great authentic release! 🍺🍺

• Thanks all for your feedback - Appreciated!

@rs2000 No, my friend, i did not even think about Pythonista, but i guess it should be possible :smile: So no Python this time.

@Samu Sorry to bother you again, but i could not find the mentioned thread via forum search or google site search. You remember the Topic of that thread or have link? I‘d like to have a look into it.

Thank you all.

• @MrBlaschke : great stuff, very nostalgic (I’m the same vintage as you, had a C64, never did get into Trackers, but I did have the Steinberg Pro 16 cart for it - http://www.oldschooldaw.com/forums/index.php?topic=3433.0 ) and interested to see someone using the ndlr. I watched loopop’s vid on it, and thought ‘one day, if I had the cash, that’s a gadget I’d like to get to know.’ How easy/intuitive do you find it to use?

• @Svetlovska It is an amazing device (at least for me). I never studied music theory at any music school or something else professional. I wasn‘t sure about it when i pre-ordererd it during the Indigogo campaign and did not wanted to spent that money, but i was in a weak mood and just did it. I am now so glad i did.

I used maybe just 10% of the NDLR in that piece. It was just controlling some Filter setting on the iPad with one of its many build in LFOs and changed the octaves for the backing sounds.

To get into it is quite overwhelming at the beginning. It has a steep learning curve that eventually starts to pay of after some hours. It gets deeper every time you use it. When you once got the basic principle its a breeze to fly through. Took me about 2 weeks to feel safe and comfortable navigating it - still i am nervous when using it during a recording. Don’t know why - i think it‘s just my head :smile:

I have another video with that device on my channel - a lot slower and some „breaks“ where i tinkered with the settings (In case you are interested). Expect many more videos with that device...i would not exchange it for any gadget i know atm. It has a fixed place in my setup now. During the waiting period (It took nearly 3 month from ordering to delivery) i started a Mozaic script for some things it offers based on my theoretical knowledge i gained from the product description - but i ended this as on as it got here - the device is way more complex than i first imagined.

• edited July 2020

@MrBlaschke : thanks, I’ll check the vid. I know what you mean about hardware - almost everything I do is with apps, but I do have a slightly guiltily growing collection of hardware, and every time I get something going with it, it feels like a house of cards which might collapse if I hit the wrong button at any time, to never be recovered. I now just leave my Zoom R8 recorder running the whole time in case the lightning escapes the bottle. Doesn’t help! :)

• @MrBlaschke said:

Sorry to bother you again, but i could not find the mentioned thread via forum search or google site search. You remember the Topic of that thread or have link? I‘d like to have a look into it.

It's a post in the long merged Drambo thread.
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/813525/#Comment_813525

I posted it as a response when people asked what could be done with Drambo :)

The Drambo Forums is a good source for Drambo Geekiness...
    https://forum.beepstreet.com

Cheers!

• Gotcha, Thanks @Samu.

@Svetlovska said:
    @MrBlaschke : ... it feels like a house of cards which might collapse if I hit the wrong button at any time, to never be recovered.

Exactly @Svetlovska
    I am working on banning these thoughts...less success so far, but i give a 💩

👾

• Eat your heart out Martin Galway! Enjoyed this a lot, nice work :)

• I wan't inSIDIous for iOS now ;)

Ok, we have SidTracker64 but it's pretty wonky to use with other apps as a sound module...

• edited July 2020

@zeroG
    Whowhowho...Hold on there :smile: Galway, Brimble, Hülsbeck, Hippel, Gray, Hubbard and all the other guys are GODs in my eyes and will never leave certain areas of my brain. Thanks for that great comment :smile: Just made my day a bit brighter! Thanks to you.

@Samu
    That advert came with an email the morning i started that track - i watched the video and hated that i hate using computers for music (because, like you, i wanted that thing on my iPad so bad!!!)
    As much as i want to love SidTracker64 - it is wonky as hell right now. IPad 12“ only in portrait mode, no connectivity. Heck, i also had contact with the developers and they promised to fix it asap and more things...That was >8 month ago. Nada.
    Sadly that is one of my few refunds in the store...It sounded/sounds so awesome but simply was no fun to use.

On the topic in general - i really love those sound. I even have the original CD releases from some of these old school guys, part of them even with original signed inlays . And to top it of i participated in the big SID to new synth conversion pack of 9 CDs that originally came out on Kickstarter...really some time ago where SID songs where re-produced for parts in a Jean Michel Jarre style -> https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/c64audio/project-sidologie-jarre-style-commodore-64-music-r

@Samu , you might actually have/know some of them. See here:

These are just a few and, man, they sound amazing up to today.
    That perfectly mastered version of „Shades“ from Hülsbeck is just awesome!

For the ones that don’t know it:

I remember exactly how i sat down for DAYS on my C64 typing the listing of shades which was part of a programming competition in the german C-64 magazine „64‘er“ where Hülsbeck took part of (As he is born in Germany) And when i first heard it i couldn’t believe it... That would be around 1986.

As an active part of the hacker/swapper/coder scene In the 80s/90s i knew some of those guys personally and met them at those „copy parties“ (Venlo was a great name or the CeBit in Germany) throughout the world and our local group even organized a own copy-party with competitions and live coding events.

We were happy childs, weren‘t we :smiley:

Anyway...i am getting nostalgic again...

• @MrBlaschke said:

We were happy childs, weren‘t we :smiley:

Indeed, and I used to rip out music from games...
    There's even a super lame demo for the C64 that can be downloaded where I made a few parts...
    https://csdb.dk/release/?id=127611

SidTracker 64 is made by members from Triad :D
    It does have IAA and Audibus support so launching the app prior to connecting It with a host works pretty well...
    (One the 'gap' in the beginning of the exported audio is caused by the delay from a 'SID Reset').

First music-app for C64 I got was Chris Hueslbecks Sound Monitor, got it on a 'swap floppy' from Future Freak / Dexion...
    Later I got 'Rock Monitor' from him as well with a song he'd made with it :D

Nostalgia, and well I was involved in a few 'grey' activities as well hahaha...

Since I'm on Mac SidPlayer gets used a LOT...
    http://www.sidmusic.org/sidplay/mac/

Cheers!

• @MrBlaschke said:
    Hi folks.

As i tend to post not so many creations here but i know that some people here actually like tracker-style and SID music (as much as i do) i decided to post it here:

All sounds/synths/effects iOS, except the drums - they are from the Model:Cycles.
    Tell me what you think, i am really interested.

Kind regards and take care.

very good..visuals and sound. 10/10 :# B)

• Thank you @noob ! 🤓

• this is sick!

• @Samu said:
    I wan't inSIDIous for iOS now ;)

Ok, we have SidTracker64 but it's pretty wonky to use with other apps as a sound module...

I bet you're already building a Sunvox patch, right? 😎

• @rs2000 said:

I bet you're already building a Sunvox patch, right? 😎

Nah, I've made a few SunVox patches for creating percussion sounds 'chip style'.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/j17i24m0pkmc6yp/ChipDrum.sunvox?dl=0
    (This one uses a meta-module for the 'value tables' and an embedding module that triggers the sound with different table speeds).

In case SunVox is not installed here's a WAV render of the file :)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/i4vadwdhxlm450n/ChipDrum.wav?dl=0

• edited July 2020

sunvox is the app that got me hooked on ios noise
    BTW any fans of pixitrackers?

• @reasOne Thank you man :smile:

@noob PixiTracker was on my radar a long time ago - somehow lost focus... Might be a good idea to grab it. Maybe funny on a dedicated RasPi :smile:

There is so much cool stuff out there, yet the timeframe is always the same...only 24h a day. So sad sometimes :wink:

• @MrBlaschke said:
    @zeroG
    Whowhowho...Hold on there :smile: Galway, Brimble, Hülsbeck, Hippel, Gray, Hubbard and all the other guys are GODs in my eyes and will never leave certain areas of my brain. Thanks for that great comment :smile: Just made my day a bit brighter! Thanks to you.

Don’t forget Daglish and Cooksey too :) RETRO53280 though reminds me most of Galway’s stuff and his was among the very best IMHO.

Hey, have you seen the documentaries ‘From Bedrooms to Billions’ and ‘The Commodore Story’?

• @zeroG
    For sure - i have them on Bluray (Bedromm to billions and the Playstation History - both from the same team via Kickstarter).
    I saw the Commodore Story Somewhere...don’t know exactly where.
    They are so good.

• One tip for creating 'retro samples' is to sample the sounds thru a rate and bit-reducer and then use them as 'regular samples'. It creates a completely different sound than slapping the rate and bit-reducer at the end of the signal chain :)

I'm still 'working on' the 4P dev to to add alternate interpolation modes for pitch shifting as well and on the fly sample-rate reduction prior to pitch-shifting. (Ie. this way you can set the 'sample rate' for the source sample before it is pitch shifted and with no interpolation (ie. S&H/PCM) it could get closer to the Amiga's Paula which he also happens to like hehe).
    I mean the app is called 'Chameleon' so it could become anything :)

For Lo-FI FM sounds the discoDSP OPL is quite hard to beat.
    (Then again SunVox has a nice 2OP FM module as well).

I really do like that SunVox is AUv3 so it's easy to just create simple instruments and use them anywhere even without the tracker sequencer just as a midi sound module...

But as mentioned time is pretty limited, only 24h per day and hardly ever can one stay 100% productive :D