Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Overloud THU by Almateq srl updated with auv3 support

Version 1.1
AUv3 format included to embed the full TH-U processing into your DAW audio projects.
Added 6 new Rig Libraries.
Bug fixings.

https://apps.apple.com/app/id1478394489

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited July 2020

@BCKeys said:
    Woot !
    Considering I can’t download the update because I’m on vacations with a weak 4G Mobile connexion, can’t wait to read your first impressions !! ☺️

1.9Gb download... lets hope it's the update to end all updates.
    EDIT says 992Mb on my phone App Store and then on download says 533Mb... so not so bad.

• Not plugged my guitar in yet (as I'm supposed to be working), but I've just been testing the midi foot switch control, very impressed so far.

You can set midi control in either the standalone or the AU3 and settings are preserved across the two. You can select your midi device and channel in the app (I used midimttr first to connect my homemade bluetooth footswitch) and make settings either globally or by preset (though I've only tried globally at the moment).

In AUM I routed my controller in AUM's midi settings to the AU3 and then I could make assignments in the AU3, either manually by CC number or by midi Learn. Crucially it allows you to select toggle / momentary or expression as your input, so very versatile for different controllers.

Basically this is brilliant news, exactly the kind of control I've been dreaming of in an Amp sim AU3. I'll give it a quick sound test later and then very probably get the Funk and R&B collection IAP for £17.99 for some tasty amps and fx including a wah.

If it sounds bad now I'll be gutted, but feeling optimistic.

• edited July 2020

Surprised there’s not more noise about this, finally a midi controllable AUv3 guitar amp sim package.

Been playing in AUM for a couple of hours, sounds great and works great. I’ve not spent anything yet either, just the free ‘darkface 65’ fender amp with the free overdrive and delay pedals.

• @steve99 said:
    Surprised there’s not more noise about this, finally a midi controllable AUv3 guitar amp sim package.

Yep, finally! Someone did it. Should get more attention and I imagine it will. Might even get some of the others to get in the ring.

• Tried the TH-U Full trial on my iMac. I thought it was great. I figured I’d wait to buy until it came out as an AU3 on IOS. Now that that’s happened, I’m trying to justify the purchase in my mind. It’s a struggle. I already have a few Nembrini amps as well as the GELabs app. I may wait for a sale.

• Should someone get the full if it uses only for effects for instruments different from guitar?

• @steve99 said:

Been playing in AUM for a couple of hours, sounds great and works great. I’ve not spent anything yet either, just the free ‘darkface 65’ fender amp with the free overdrive and delay pedals.

This is indeed a huge deal! I guess GE Labs has midi mapping but their AUv3/IAA is unstable or non-existent? I never got into Bias or Amplitude but seems like they don’t have AUv3 though Amplitude is midi controllable? Garageband amps and pedals aren’t midi foot controllable, am I right?

I have some total newbie questions that I hope you’re willing to answer, as I’m a guitar guy accustomed to hardware amps/pedals now using iOS sims.

Can you run several instances of Overloud AUv3 but also midi control different parameters of each instance? Because if that’s the case that’s like having a big pedal board that can control several guitar and bass amps and all their pedals at the same time, rather than just one IAA rig.

Is there a difference between Bluetooth midi controllers and Bluetooth audio? What I mean is Auria Pro doesn’t seem to work with Bluetooth audio and GarageBand has obvious latency with Bluetooth audio, but is that a non-issue with Bluetooth midi?

Would you be willing to recommend some affordable midi foot controllers that work well for guitarists who want to record tracks or perform live and switch between amp channels or turn pedals on/off in real time? I’m seeing so many foot controllers that claim to turn pages or start and stop recordings, so which foot controllers are also good for guitar purposes? Doesn’t need to be fancy, expression pedal or maybe a hook up for one would be awesome. I could live with just buttons. I have a solid Midi-USB adapter cable so either connect is fine, again don’t know about Bluetooth connect efficiency.

Finally, let’s say I have a singular amp sim and pedal and they’re AUv3, like a Nembrini amp and pedal, are these midi foot controllable at all when inside a DAW or AUM? Is it the DAW or the plugin that determines midi control parameters? Can I turn them on and off or toggle their settings inside a DAW if they don’t appear to have any midi compatibility standalone? If not then actual midi controllable packages have a big advantage for performing and even recording, because otherwise you’re stuck having to record a guitar part in pieces across several tracks as you add and subtract pedals, or record clean and add sims and fx after which seems inorganic. Or do you just set up an amp sim in AUM several times and use foot midi to switch between columns? Thank you in advance.

• @JoyceRoadStudios said:

@steve99 said:

This is indeed a huge deal! I guess GE Labs has midi mapping but their AUv3/IAA is unstable or non-existent? I never got into Bias or Amplitude but seems like they don’t have AUv3 though Amplitude is midi controllable? Garageband amps and pedals aren’t midi foot controllable, am I right?

I have some total newbie questions that I hope you’re willing to answer, as I’m a guitar guy accustomed to hardware amps/pedals now using iOS sims.

Can you run several instances of Overloud AUv3 but also midi control different parameters of each instance? Because if that’s the case that’s like having a big pedal board that can control several guitar and bass amps and all their pedals at the same time, rather than just one IAA rig.

Is there a difference between Bluetooth midi controllers and Bluetooth audio? What I mean is Auria Pro doesn’t seem to work with Bluetooth audio and GarageBand has obvious latency with Bluetooth audio, but is that a non-issue with Bluetooth midi?

Would you be willing to recommend some affordable midi foot controllers that work well for guitarists who want to record tracks or perform live and switch between amp channels or turn pedals on/off in real time? I’m seeing so many foot controllers that claim to turn pages or start and stop recordings, so which foot controllers are also good for guitar purposes? Doesn’t need to be fancy, expression pedal or maybe a hook up for one would be awesome. I could live with just buttons. I have a solid Midi-USB adapter cable so either connect is fine, again don’t know about Bluetooth connect efficiency.

Finally, let’s say I have a singular amp sim and pedal and they’re AUv3, like a Nembrini amp and pedal, are these midi foot controllable at all when inside a DAW or AUM? Is it the DAW or the plugin that determines midi control parameters? Can I turn them on and off or toggle their settings inside a DAW if they don’t appear to have any midi compatibility standalone? If not then actual midi controllable packages have a big advantage for performing and even recording, because otherwise you’re stuck having to record a guitar part in pieces across several tracks as you add and subtract pedals, or record clean and add sims and fx after which seems inorganic. Or do you just set up an amp sim in AUM several times and use foot midi to switch between columns? Thank you in advance.

Bluetooth Audio and MIDI are totally different. Audio has inherent latency because the audio stream generally needs to be re-encoded with a lossy codec (which requires significant buffering and also computation time). MIDI requires no encoding /decoding.

• They sound so good. I’m tempted to buy the full to make drone ambient music

• edited July 2020

@Philh0954 said:
    Tried the TH-U Full trial on my iMac. I thought it was great. I figured I’d wait to buy until it came out as an AU3 on IOS. Now that that’s happened, I’m trying to justify the purchase in my mind. It’s a struggle. I already have a few Nembrini amps as well as the GELabs app. I may wait for a sale.

@Charlesalbert said:
    Should someone get the full if it uses only for effects for instruments different from guitar?

The app is free to download, so I wouldn’t think about buying anything until you’ve tried it out. You can buy individual amps and FX for £4.99 each or a well stocked bundle for £17.98 (12 amps + cabs and FX).

Nembrini excellent, but it’s a real fiddle to set up Midi foot switch control on a long chain. GeLabs sounds great and the midi control is good, but I can only play it in AUM as an IAA effect for 10 minutes or so before it melts down in a sonic horror show.

Overall though, this is definitely for guitarists. If you just want effects you’re already well served elsewhere.

• edited July 2020

@JoyceRoadStudios said:

Bias FX 1 has midi (not FX 2 yet I believe) as do Amplitube, GeLabs and ToneStack, but they’re all IAA. GeLabs doesn’t have an IAA tab to flick back to your host (annoying) and is, in my experience, unstable in that it crashes and makes a horrific noise after a short period of playing. Can’t remember about GarageBand midi.

Not tried this, but I placed it in a hefty multi-app AUM session last night and it didn’t induce any crackles when app switching, so encouraging in terms of resource use.

As already answered, Bluetooth midi very unproblematic and extremely useful to not be tripping over cables.

I’ve been making my own cigar box bluetooth footswitches using Adafruit Blufruit micro controllers. I was considering making a few for anyone here who was interested, but seems COVID grounded the boat from China with all the buttons on... to be continued.

My 2 recommendations are not Bluetooth, but work well with a Yamaha UD-BT01 adapter and a USB battery. I have a Line 6 FBV shortboard Mk II, a brilliant and versatile footswitch controller with a wah. I use half for fx and half for looping control. It does work with iOS over USB, but wireless it really comes into its own. More simple is an Actition 4 button controller (search eBay to buy or on this forum for more info). Again, not native bluetooth, but you can add a dongle (though the Yamaha ud-bt01’s are getting scarce).

I haven’t tried the other options, irig Blueboard, the positive grid BT-4, airturns etc, but they always seemed to me technology that wasn’t quite ready yet... others may disagree.

Nembrinis you can toggle on and off through midi in AUM, but it’s a pain to set up and not very flexible if you want to swap pedals/fx around. Midi control setting is done in AUM‘s (other hosts are available) channel midi parameter settings. For me it’s a huge advantage being able to do it in the AUv3 with Overloud. That you can do it once and then forget about it is what I’ve been hoping for in an App for a considerable time.

• @Charlesalbert said:
    Should someone get the full if it uses only for effects for instruments different from guitar?

If you need all the amps + cabs you might consider going full but if you only need the effects than you are better off buying the 'All FXs' bundle for 24,99€ (maybe 19,99$ in the US?).
    If you need some distortion you can still use the amps that you get for free when installing the app.

• edited July 2020
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited July 2020

@TheMojoMan said:

@Charlesalbert said:

If you need all the amps + cabs you might consider going full but if you only need the effects than you are better off buying the 'All FXs' bundle for 24,99€ (maybe 19,99$ in the US?).
    If you need some distortion you can still use the amps that you get for free when installing the app.

I’m going fx bundle. Better I think. Thx

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @steve99 thank you for all this info. Definitely a point for Overloud.

• @Charlesalbert said:
    They sound so good. I’m tempted to buy the full to make drone ambient music

Really sounds nice...

• Just noticed that they are Italian too. Another reason for me to support this guys work💪

• I have THU full on my Mac so I got the iOS version with discouted price. But usually I play with one of two amps, tubescreamer pedal and spring reverb. So I think everyone could take just one or two favorite amps and finally start to play guitar! :smile:

Click here to see the full list of models included into TH-U:
    https://s3.amazonaws.com/Overloud/TH-U/TH-U+Model+List.pdf

• @Kranick said:
    I have THU full on my Mac so I got the iOS version with discouted price. But usually I play with one of two amps, tubescreamer pedal and spring reverb. So I think everyone could take just one or two favorite amps and finally start to play guitar! :smile:

Click here to see the full list of models included into TH-U:
    https://s3.amazonaws.com/Overloud/TH-U/TH-U+Model+List.pdf

Would You suggest them if You will only use to shaping synth/drone sounds?

• edited July 2020

@Charlesalbert said:
    Just noticed that they are Italian too. Another reason for me to support this guys work💪

Seems it one of those apps that is not just about ‘supporting the developer’.. but rather an essential TOOL.. for this iOS platform...

The tuner etc.. whole lot of stuff as you dig deeper...

Sweet..

• @RajahP said:
    The tuner etc.. whole lot of stuff as you dig deeper...

A tuner - brilliant - I'd missed that and there it is right in front of me, thank you for pointing it out. I'd been bashing away vaguely out of tune because I didn't want to stop playing and leave the app*. I'm ignoring the Looper for now, just in case it spoils what's so far been an unadulteratedly good experience

I was very critical of this app on its initial sloppy release, they've delivered big time now though.

*I know I can and should tune manually, but all the other apps seem to have dodgy pitch...

• So assuming your running the same exact audio interface on both your iPad and Laptop .. does the IOS version of TH-U sound the same as the computer version?

• @steve99 are you familiar at all with the Line 6 FBV Express MkII as a smaller cheaper alternative to the Shortboard? I’m reading perhaps it has more limitations specifically with changing to banks 2-16 on the fly, but perhaps it could work just as well? I’m also looking at Tech 21 midi mongoose but reading it may have a few functionality issues with certain types of midi, and I’m really liking what I’m reading about Actition 4/8 with an added pedal, seems like Actition is specifically geared towards iOS. Thanks again!

• @cloudswimmer said:
    So assuming your running the same exact audio interface on both your iPad and Laptop .. does the IOS version of TH-U sound the same as the computer version?

It should sound the same. On their webpage they write "Same 4th generation DSP engine as in the TH-U Desktop version". But you can test it yourself by downloading the desktop version and trying it out free for 14 days and you can also download the iOS version for free.

• @JoyceRoadStudios said:
    @steve99 are you familiar at all with the Line 6 FBV Express MkII as a smaller cheaper alternative to the Shortboard? I’m reading perhaps it has more limitations specifically with changing to banks 2-16 on the fly, but perhaps it could work just as well? I’m also looking at Tech 21 midi mongoose but reading it may have a few functionality issues with certain types of midi, and I’m really liking what I’m reading about Actition 4/8 with an added pedal, seems like Actition is specifically geared towards iOS. Thanks again!

I tried the FBV express a few years ago, but it was a big disappointment in terms of iOS guitar control. If I remember rightly it only transmits program change (not cc) on the foot switches. I don’t think you can configure it in any way at all like you can the FBV shortboard mkII.

It’s always seemed strange to me that Line 6 have never grasped marketing their products to computer based musicians. They seem stuck on trying to sell it to guitarists who use computers rather than coming at it from the other direction. The FbV II shortboard is superb as a foot controller for iOS, Yamaha make the ud-bt01 Bluetooth adapter and they’re actually the same company. In my opinion it’s such a missed opportunity that they can’t think to put the products together and broaden the range.

Can’t comment on the Tech 21 midi mongoose (other than having considered all options at one point or another). The 4 button Actition I have is ultra reliable - I’d forgotten the bonus of the expression pedal input (which I do use). You can’t change the cc numbers (96-99), but you can set them to be toggle or momentary. As useful for a desktop/laptop setup as for iOS.

• @flo26 Which specific components did you buy? Did you get a bundle? What about the lunch stuff? Can that be bought in a bundle? I couldn’t tell from the store.

Thanks — Sounds great as always