Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Cosmology soundfont demo video in AEM studio.

A few years ago, I designed the Cosmology soundfont specially for the Algomusic M42 Nebula soft synthesizer (Win) and to showcase its sound manipulation power. Without going into too much details, it means that the programs were created for experimental sound manipulation, for instance some sample loop points are creative!

As shown in this video, it can be used in other soundfont players and the results are still interesting. Here I am using Audio Evolution Mobile Studio built-in soundfont player with Eventide Blackhole reverb and Bismark bs-16i.

Comments

• What is the file format? SF2?

Has anyone tried it?

• edited July 2020

Hi McD,

It's a sf2 file (73.9 MB).

I have asked Sampleism to lower the price of Cosmology and my 2 other soundfonts for the M42 to £1.99 (from £2.99). It may take a few hours fro the request to be completed.

In the meantime, I have added a button on my website to purchase it for $2.49 USD.

EDIT: prices lowered on Sampleism!

• So good. Will buy it soon for sure.

• @Charlesalbert said:
    So good. Will buy it soon for sure.

Great, thanks!

Those who have a PC, should check out the M42 Nebula VST. My soundfonts for M42 all include a presets bank for it too.
    It is now freeware and is hosted with the permission of its developer on Westgate Sounds. There are also a few others of the AlgoMusic great and quirky VSTs.

These VSTs are also available from the Internet Archive.

• @zvon Any reason for using both AEM's internal SF2 player and bs-16i?

• edited July 2020

@rs2000 said:
    @zvon Any reason for using both AEM's internal SF2 player and bs-16i?

Hi rs2000, in fact the video is in 2 parts. First the MIDI file played by AEM sf2 player and in the second I am playing the keys of bs-16i in standalone mode as I wanted to show Cosmology in more than 1 app. So I am not using both at once.

To answer your question, I am assuming that AEM player is using less system ressources than an instance of bs-16i. So for playng a soundfont "as is" it may be the best choice. It also loads sfz files now.

On the other hand, bs-16i has some synth controls, like envelope, so some sound design can be applied to the original sf2. And being multi-timbral, it can layer multiple sounds on a single track.

• edited July 2020

@zvon Got it, thanks!
    What I know is that the SF2 player in AEM only loads the currently selected preset into main memory so you can often use rather large sound fonts. Also, although you can't change it, any synth-related settings (Envelopes and filter settings for example) are supported if present in the SF2.

I'm not sure if bs-16i loads the whole sound font into memory, yet on the bismarck home page they write:

To load the specified SoundFont / DLS file, the device has to ready free memory larger that file size of it.

• @rs2000 said:
    @zvon Got it, thanks!
    What I know is that the SF2 player in AEM only loads the currently selected preset into main memory so you can often use rather large sound fonts. Also, although you can't change it, any synth-related settings (Envelopes and filter settings for example) are supported if present in the SF2.

I'm not sure if bs-16i loads the whole sound font into memory, yet on the bismarck home page they write:

To load the specified SoundFont / DLS file, the device has to ready free memory larger that file size of it.

You're welcome!

I assume that it means bs-16i loads the whole soundfont in memory, this can be a drawback with the larger ones but the advantage is that smooth preset changes are possible during playback without causing glitches or interruption in the audio.