Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

LK - for Ableton Live & Midi by Imaginando - AUv3 Clip Launcher Finally Available in AUM!!

Comments

• Are there any plans to add support for the Launchpad Pro MK3?

• @muzka said:

@branis said:

@muzka said:
    Hi, I bought the matrix and when setting my scale I don't seem to have the options for a basic major or minor scale, only locrain, Dorian etc

In the manual and on videos I see others have a major and minor scale option

Anyone know how to add it?

Thanks

I believe the Ionian scale is the same as major and Aeolian as natural minor

At the bottom of the list there is the Custom option so you can set whatever you want

Clicked those two options, Ionian and aeolian, and seems they are the same as major and minor so will use those :)

Yes. Using the white keys as the scale reference the "modes" are:
    C-C is Ionian or C Major
    D-D is Dorian on D
    E-E is Phrygian on E
    F-F is Lydian on F
    G-G is Mixolydian on G
    A-A is Aeolian on A or A minor
    B-B is Locrian on B

The music theory class pneumonic device I used and remember to this day is:
    I'm Dejected, please, leave me a - lone.

Ionian (Major)
    Dorian
    Phrygian
    Lydian
    Mixolydian
    Aeolian (Relative Minor)
    Locrian
    (Remembering the Lydian before the Locrian requires remembering it's reverse alphabetical on the 2nd letter).

Pop quiz on Monday.

• Spent some time playing with all the IAPs in standalone. Decided I really liked having all those controllers in one place. And they all work well on the smaller iPhone screen too. Ended up buying them all in the sale. :)

• edited November 2020

In the chorder, can you somehow change the order of the chords and which chord comes first? I would like to have the chords in each row in chromatic order but they are arranged in intervals of 5ths. It would also be cool to have more than one octave in each row...

• @dobbs said:
    In the chorder, can you somehow change the order of the chords and which chord comes first? I would like to have the chords in each row in chromatic order but they are arranged in intervals of 5ths. It would also be cool to have more than one octave in each row...

Perhaps you can find what you need by clicking on the = at the bottom, then click on add layout.

• Unfortunately, no. A preset allows for the selection of which notes are present, and in the preset window they are ordered chromaticaly, but when you open the preset in chorder they are in a different order.

• edited November 2020

What an exciting app! But, can you set up which channel the notes from a clip are being sent to? Can I set a channel for individual tracks or clips, or even for individual notes?

Edit: found it. Yess this is awesome!

• Updated... Probability? BRB... thanks..

• Thanks a lot for the update, no freezes with the midi controller anymore

• Is it possible for clips to start instantaneously instead of waiting for the next bar? In GStomper for example, you can start a clip at the next bar (or whatever you set the quant to), but also start the clip immediately if you double tap it.

• @dobbs said:
    Is it possible for clips to start instantaneously instead of waiting for the next bar? In GStomper for example, you can start a clip at the next bar (or whatever you set the quant to), but also start the clip immediately if you double tap it.

You set it the top bar of the matrix, the trigger quant. can be set to ‘none’.

• edited December 2020

But then the clip's content would be out of sync. Sorry, I should have elaborated more. In GStomper (and probably also other DAWs) you can start clips but their content will still be in sync. Say your trigger quant is 1 bar. If you instantaneously start a clip, it will play the rest of the clip as if you had triggered it at the previous bar, and then the clip will start again at the next bar. So the clip plays instantaneously but its content is still in sync.

So if you instantaneously start a clip and the timeline is at 0,5 bars it would play the last 0,5 bars so that the next loop will begin at the next full bar.

• edited December 2020

@dobbs said:
    But then the clip's content would be out of sync. Sorry, I should have elaborated more. In GStomper (and probably also other DAWs) you can start clips but their content will still be in sync. Say your trigger quant is 1 bar. If you instantaneously start a clip, it will play the rest of the clip as if you had triggered it at the previous bar, and then the clip will start again at the next bar. So the clip plays instantaneously but its content is still in sync.

So if you instantaneously start a clip and the timeline is at 0,5 bars it would play the last 0,5 bars so that the next loop will begin at the next full bar.

Like the clip timeline always stays in sync with the main timeline, it just jumps in when you trigger it, starting where the timeline currently is positioned and not the clip start.

I don’t know of a Setting in LK to create this behavior, but...

You could put all your Patterns you want to switch around and experiment with in the same Scene, rather than on the same Track like you would normally do.
    Then in the Midi Settings, set each Track to the same Midi channel as your sound making app.
    Then open the Mixer settings, set a Track to Solo mode, and trigger the whole Scene.
    All the Patterns are continuously running in sync, and you jump-cut between them using the Solo buttons.

Here is a pic of what I mean

• @dobbs said:

BlocsWave works like that. Koala may also. It is handy. One can create some interesting patterns by switching between patterns before they finish playing.

• edited December 2020

First of all, I can't believe this app exists! As a long time Ableton User, I find the vertically stacked rows of clips a very friendly way to compose music. I'm glad i stumbled upon this thread and realized this was a full auv3 midi sequencer.

I ran into a curious behavior last night when running it through its paces. In AUM and in apeMatrix using their built-in keyboards, the built in LK keyboard module or my akai mpk mini mk 2 , sending MIDI into the "LK input" or "Keyboard" channel, for seemingly most or all of my auv3 synths, when the track is armed and playing AND the global transport record is on, I will hear the note I am playing two times as if it's also being sounded on the release of the note. It doesn't happen every single note, but most of them.

If the track is just armed and global recording is off, I can play normally from the keyboards through LK and then into the auv3 synth. Also, what is recorded into the clip is just the single hit per note, not the doubling that I hear.

I believe this behavior was the same yesterday before I'd made the most recent update.

This behavior occurs using Ripplemaker, Korg Module, Zeeon, etc..

Is there some monitoring setting I might have wrong? I tried to go through this whole thread, but I may have missed something.

• When recording into a new clip without a pre-set clip length (let’s say the first clip in a project) in the AU, is there still no way to get a count off or link the recording start to the host transport so that you can start playing on beat one? I feel like I must be overlooking something obvious.

• You could put all your Patterns you want to switch around and experiment with in the same Scene, rather than on the same Track like you would normally do.
    Then in the Midi Settings, set each Track to the same Midi channel as your sound making app.
    Then open the Mixer settings, set a Track to Solo mode, and trigger the whole Scene.
    All the Patterns are continuously running in sync, and you jump-cut between them using the Solo buttons.

Very good idea!

BlocsWave works like that. Koala may also. It is handy. One can create some interesting patterns by switching between patterns before they finish playing.

On no, more apps to buy... :D

• @dobbs said:

This seems super useful. I find it’s most natural to launch clips at the right time, not thinking about it in advance, but I am sometimes a little bit late so the clip launches at the next bar and everything gets messed up.

• @Thacapos said:
    Thanks a lot for the update, no freezes with the midi controller anymore

Yes, it seems to be fixed this time. I had a couple of long sessions including midi controllers and no freezes occurred.

• @branis said:

@Thacapos said:
    Thanks a lot for the update, no freezes with the midi controller anymore

Yes, it seems to be fixed this time. I had a couple of long sessions including midi controllers and no freezes occurred.

Awesome! :blush:

• I've only really been playing with LK a lot... in the last couple of weeks. I've got all of the IAPs now. Glad I did! Even though I have a variety of iOS controllers, it's really nice to have everything in one place and interconnected. I've been using the midi-controller module to control Fieldscaper and loving it!

One of the greatest benefits is that before... I didn't really do much on the iPhone with sound (apart from loopers like Gauss, RE-1, Koala, etc.) But, the LK interface works and fits nicely on an iPhone screen... so that experimenting and dinkin' around with sound stuff is a lot more pleasurable. I just set up my synths, effects, etc. in apeMatrix or AUM... then control everything from LK in standalone mode for maximum screen real estate.

LK may be one of the most overall useful apps I've purchased in a good while. :)

• @skiphunt said:
    LK may be one of the most overall useful apps I've purchased in a good while. :)

+1 Pretty much a fanboy at this point. Got all the other stuffs, so maybe a shirt is what’s required now?

• Really enjoying this so far, but am I being a numpty or is there currently no way to do the following in the composer piano roll:
    (i) Change the grid to triplets?
    (ii) Split / slice a note e.g scissor tool?

Any help would be gratefully received :)

• @sinosoidal : any chance that you will make it possible to import multichannel MIDI files and allow the output to be sent out without being rechannelized?

• @dobbs said:

This can be achieved if you have a clip already playing, but the channel is muted and you unmute it. I think this is more standard way if you want to play around live with stuff like eg “starting snare and percussion already 1/4 before next bar” or such. Also, solo is great for this kind of more live, DJ-like transitions.
    Remember, LK only sends MIDI, so muting / soloing just stops/starts playing MIDI, so it’s different as if you do it on audio channels, more natural from sequencing point of view.

• edited December 2020

@espiegel123 said:
    @sinosoidal : any chance that you will make it possible to import multichannel MIDI files and allow the output to be sent out without being rechannelized?

Importing midi is initiated by long-tapping on a clip. Would you like a multichannel midi file to replace the neighboring clips in the scene? Probably not. Maybe import all into a new scene, but then the current long-tap on an existing clip is not good for starting the import. What would you like to happen if the midi file has more channels than you have track channels? If non-matching channels are just ignored, some users and reviews will probably complain that import is broken ...

I wonder if a more laborious and manual approach is needed for multichannel midi files: the current long tap on a clip is used to start the import. After having selected a file, LK could detect which channels are present and display a window with tick boxes of which channels to import into this clip. At least this would work well with 2-channel files that the Piano Motifs app is generating; you could choose to import all into one clip (as is done today), or you could do a two step process where you manage to split these into two separate clips of your choice. Of course, this would be more work for a 16-channel file, but maybe you want one clip to collapse 1-3, etc.

• edited December 2020

Is anyone able to record MIDI from a keyboard without hearing notes doubled or a slight hiccup on note release?

Only when I record with the track muted (above solo) do I hear just the part I’m actually playing, but that makes it impossible to use overdub mode and immediately hear what I played when the loop comes back around.

I find the app very friendly and stable if I’m just entering notes into the piano roll, but I can’t solve this glitch of my midi input being sent what seems like twice to the auv3 instrument. On playback each note saved to the piano roll is correct, it’s just while monitoring during recording.

• edited December 2020

@skrat said:
    This can be achieved if you have a clip already playing, but the channel is muted and you unmute it. I think this is more standard way if you want to play around live with stuff like eg “starting snare and percussion already 1/4 before next bar” or such.

Yes that is a god idea but only works if every clip has its own track...

Remember, LK only sends MIDI, so muting / soloing just stops/starts playing MIDI, so it’s different as if you do it on audio channels, more natural from sequencing point of view.

How is it different?

@rolandgarros said:
    I find the app very friendly and stable if I’m just entering notes into the piano roll, but I can’t solve this glitch of my midi input being sent what seems like twice to the auv3 instrument. On playback each note saved to the piano roll is correct, it’s just while monitoring during recording.

I remember somebody else also mentioned this this week, you're not alone...

• @RolandGarros said:
    Is anyone able to record MIDI from a keyboard without hearing notes doubled or a slight hiccup on note release?

Only when I record with the track muted (above solo) do I hear just the part I’m actually playing, but that makes it impossible to use overdub mode and immediately hear what I played when the loop comes back around.

Yes, I just checked. It looks like note off also triggers a note on. It’s not recorded and it doesn’t happen at every key press, but it happens more often than not.

• @bleep said:

@espiegel123 said:
    @sinosoidal : any chance that you will make it possible to import multichannel MIDI files and allow the output to be sent out without being rechannelized?

Importing midi is initiated by long-tapping on a clip. Would you like a multichannel midi file to replace the neighboring clips in the scene? Probably not. Maybe import all into a new scene, but then the current long-tap on an existing clip is not good for starting the import. What would you like to happen if the midi file has more channels than you have track channels? If non-matching channels are just ignored, some users and reviews will probably complain that import is broken ...

I wonder if a more laborious and manual approach is needed for multichannel midi files: the current long tap on a clip is used to start the import. After having selected a file, LK could detect which channels are present and display a window with tick boxes of which channels to import into this clip. At least this would work well with 2-channel files that the Piano Motifs app is generating; you could choose to import all into one clip (as is done today), or you could do a two step process where you manage to split these into two separate clips of your choice. Of course, this would be more work for a 16-channel file, but maybe you want one clip to collapse 1-3, etc.

In Midi Sketch when you want to import a midi file, after selecting the midi file, it will open this window where you can select which track/tracks in the midi file you want to import:

Maybe something like this could solve the problem with importing multichannel midi files in LK?