Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

LK - for Ableton Live & Midi by Imaginando - AUv3 Clip Launcher Finally Available in AUM!!

Comments

• @jolico said:

@Jmousseau72 said:
    Not sure if this has been covered here (I haven’t been able to find anything looking through posts) but does LK import midi files and if so how? I’ve racking my brain out trying to do this. Was hoping drag and drop would work with no luck.

Thanks!

Press & hold on a clip or press & hold on an empty space to create a new clip

Thank you, thought I had tried that but obviously not.

-J

• @_ki said:
    @Gavinski As work-around until this feature is ready in LK you could use the Mozaic ‚Apply Swing‘ script to apply swing to all output channels of LK.

@sinosoidal CC automation sounds great, thanks for working on it 👍🏼

And while implementing the CC curve editor, don’t forget that part of its features could be re-used for editing pitch-bend and channel-aftertouch :)

Thanks _ki!

• In case some of you didn’t notice... the XY Pad IAP in LK just went on sale for $1.99 normally $3.99. It’s pretty cool actually. And you can use it to control either cc or note :)

https://www.imaginando.pt/products/lk/help/xy-pad

• Hi,
    I’m having mixed feelings with LK and I’d appreciate some insights. I’m running demo and considering the purchase. I need a midi clip launcher/sequencer/looper and LK seems like a capable all-in-one solution.
    Thing is I find it quite buggy and I don’t know if it’s due to the demo mode or not, these happen randomly and sporadically

• notes getting “stuck”
    • loosing sync
    • not being able to record (this usually happens on first launch)

As to what i think about LK so far:

LK looks a lot like Modstep, very similar workflow, layout and UI. I abandoned Modstep because I found it extremely unintuitive, it’s a pity cos the thing is a beast, but I kept getting lost, not finding my way around. I’d manage to get somewhere (googling or after a long try/error) and a few days later I’d get lost again, I couldn’t click with the logic.
    LK is a lot more concise but has the same problem IMO.
    Things like:

• an “m” for monitoring (could be mute)
    • after monitoring you must press rec for actual monitoring
    • you have to click on an unlabeled, unidentifiable area to open the clip sequence / editor back and forth
    • When you open a sequence there’s 2 transports, sequence and global, but they’re identical
    • The operations on the sequence editor are not consistent. Duplicate (2 pluses icon) duplicates selected notes whereas the “X” doesn’t delete notes but the whole clip. They’re on the same UI space and editor yet their operation context is completely different.

This being said, it covers everything you need to make a “song mode” in AUM and I haven’t found anything else. Well actually MidiKeys, which is great but I found live recording into midikeys to be quite horrible. Heard great things about Atom, but I believe you can’t switch or chain sequences.

If LK is indeed buggy at this point, what alternatives?. To:

• record a sequence live via keyboard (bonus for auto-adjusting length of sequence)
    • loop sequence
    • Good editing
    • Multiple sequences / switching sequences / chain (song mode)
  • @tahiche said:
    Thing is I find it quite buggy and I don’t know if it’s due to the demo mode or not, these happen randomly and sporadically

• notes getting “stuck”
    • loosing sync
    • not being able to record (this usually happens on first launch)

We are constantly improving LK. In the last couple of months and for the next couple of months we are and we will be actively developing LK and improving the workflow. There are still some issues but we are keen in fixing them and improving the work flow.

There are indeed to some scenarios where notes could get stuck. Usually, if we know how to reproduce this behaviours systematically, they will be sorted out very quickly.

LK is sometimes drifting and this is something we will definitely work to improve.

When you mention that it is not able to record, you need to be more specific because that's not an know issue and it will probably depend on the work flow. Please provide more details.

LK is a lot more concise but has the same problem IMO.

• an “m” for monitoring (could be mute)

M in the bottom transport bar simply toggles visiblity of a set of buttons in the view (MUTE/SOLO/RECORD) to save space.

• after monitoring you must press rec for actual monitoring

To record on a track, REC button must be enabled and song recording button must be enabled.

• you have to click on an unlabeled, unidentifiable area to open the clip sequence / editor back and forth

I dont know what you mean with this.

• When you open a sequence there’s 2 transports, sequence and global, but they’re identical

If you have the clip composer open you might want to stop/play that clip without having to close the composer and use the grid to trigger it. It is a matter of convience.

• The operations on the sequence editor are not consistent. Duplicate (2 pluses icon) duplicates selected notes whereas the “X” doesn’t delete notes but the whole clip. They’re on the same UI space and editor yet their operation context is completely different.
    • button is meant to create a clip on a slot when there isnt one and when there is a clip, there will be an X button on the same position, which will allow to delete the clip from that slot.

Duplicate button is used to duplicate selected notes. You the selection to select notes (and the respective range on the timeline) and it will duplicate the same range with the containing notes to the right.

If LK is indeed buggy at this point, what alternatives?. To:

• record a sequence live via keyboard (bonus for auto-adjusting length of sequence)

Recording from keyboard is already possible with LK, you just need to set the desired track midi input device and channel, arm track for recording, arm song for recording and play song.

• loop sequence

What do you mean with this?

• Good editing

You might need to familiarize a little better with the composer:

https://www.imaginando.pt/products/lk/help/matrix

• Multiple sequences / switching sequences / chain (song mode)

It is possible to set follow actions to the clips in the matrix. It is not a timeline view though.

We are currently testing LK 1.8.0 where we introduce MIDI CC automations on clips and fix and improve many little details. If you want to participate in the beta testing, please send me a private message with your email.

Thank you for your interest, questions and feedback.

• edited September 2020

@tahiche I agree that the UI may be confusing and you need some time to get use to it. The confusion between top row transport buttons is that the top row controls the clip whilst bottom row is global transport. This may be confusing, as you don't use global transport that much in e.g. AUM where you usually want it to be synced with host, so the first 5 buttons from the left are not of much use.
    Also, switching from Matrix to piano roll is really unintuitive, I thought for a long time you have to always drag it, then I found out if you tap on the empty area in the middle, it toggles up/down by single tap.

@sinosoidal Few suggestions:

• What about hiding those transport buttons if you use host transport mode? Do they make any sense then?

• What about marking the bar that opens the piano roll with e.g. text "piano roll" in the middle, maybe some up (when collapsed) and down (when expanded) arrows around?

• I'd also love to disable Ableton mode switch when using Matrix as AUv3. It's maybe nice to have it (but is really someone using it when hosted as AUv3?), but could be rather buried somewhere in the settings. This is not something you need to change during live playing. I often accidentally tap it instead of e.g. top clip and then I'm confused what happened.

• I'd also love to be able to hide the left row with other LK modules (pads, chorder,...) - If you use primarily matrix (or any other module), it's occupying precious screen real estate and making the UI more cluttered. Maybe if you have an option in the expanded menu to "hide module icons", if you'd like to repopulate them, just press the top left menu icon, when you press it again, you'll open the expanded menu and will be back to current behavior.

• Alternatively, extra option within settings besides "default module" could be something like "hide other modules switcher". With AUv3, you can have each modules as separate instances in the host if you prefer (and in AUM, you can put them e.g. side by side in separate windows, which is possible also now, but then the bars occupy even more precious space...)

• One improvement I have realized now: if I tap undo button, often I don't see what was actually undone. It'd be nice to display some text like "undo create new clip" or "undo note change". Sometimes I also accidentally tap it and don't realize it until I found out I am missing e.g. some note or a clip.

...OK, enough, or I'll be making endless feature requests :) But still, think about these improvements, I think at least the first ones are not so hard to implement and would make LK much more intuitive. Good luck and thank you for the greatest app of 2020!

• Hi @sinosoidal !. In case it isn’t clear I love the functionality of LK.
    I’m a big believer in the modular approach of apps in an AB/AUM environment to build the workflow that suits you best. A “modular DAW” of sorts where you’re not bound to the workflow and limitations of a single product. In this, LK fills a big gap and is definitely a really good approach.
    I did encounter some bugs that worried me, the ones I mention in my post. I understand you’re still working on LK and fixing issues.

Regarding the second block in my comment, I’m just mentioning some points that I find confusing. I did get past them but it took me some time, the minimalist UI looks great but the downside is that some things might not be obvious... These are obviously my personal opinions while interacting with the app.

you have to click on an unlabeled, unidentifiable area to open the clip sequence / editor back and forth

By this I mean the way to get to the sequence editor.

There’s nothing there that makes me think that’s a Ui element (basically a button).

The “m”... well as I said, an “m” could be a number of things. (The speaker icon in the sequence editor is met revealing).
    The “duplicate “ and “cross (erase)”. If I’m in the note editor and “duplicate” duplicates notes when I hit “erase (cross)” I expect to erase notes, not the whole clip.

Anyway, as I said they’re personal opinions. I do have some experience with UI due to my work and I know how complicated it is to satisfy everybody. I will PM you regarding beta testing, would love to help, or at least try. Again, if I didn’t think this was a great app with huge potential I would have just moved on.

Cheers and good work!

• @skrat hadnt seen your comment when writing the previous post. Seems rude! 😜
    I agree with you. Specially with the piano roll... it took me quite a while to find it the first time, maybe even had to google it. And it’s one of those things where, if some time has passed, you’re like “argghghhg, where was it?. I remember I clicked somewhere!”. I quit using Modstep cos every time it was that exact feeling.

• I'd agree with the UI criticisms made by @tahiche

My day job is UX and there are a number of choices made in this app that are confusing, or inconsistent, in a manner that make the UI harder to use than it should be. Some of these things are probably issues that would be hard to test without in-person UX testing. Others are issues that an experienced UX designer would just never do.

In particular there are issues with functionality being hidden, with modal functionality (where the only way to access it is through switching on a particular mode), and also the misuse of defaults (e.g. 'M' will suggest to an English speaker mute).

The app is still usable, but it's far from intuitive unfortunately.

• “The Day Jobs” . That’s a band right there!. You up for it @cian ?. 😎🤘

• @sinosoidal
    Latest beta looking good. Midi timing has improved a lot!
    Thanks 👍

• @0tolerance4silence said:
    @sinosoidal
    Latest beta looking good. Midi timing has improved a lot!
    Thanks 👍

Thanks for your feedback! We have just submitted version 1.8.0 to review. Should be available to everyone soon. :blush:

• @tahiche said:
    “The Day Jobs” . That’s a band right there!. You up for it @cian ?. 😎🤘

Ha! I don't think the world needs my indifferent keyboard skills right now...

• LK 1.8.0 was released with the following changelog:

• MIDI CC automations
    • Visual review of all modules
    • Fixed AUv3 MIDI playback drift
    • Performance improvements
    • General bug fixes and optimizations
  • @sinosoidal said:
    LK 1.8.0 was released with the following changelog:

• MIDI CC automations
    • Visual review of all modules
    • Fixed AUv3 MIDI playback drift
    • Performance improvements
    • General bug fixes and optimizations

Neat just updated thanks for adding to this @sinosoidal

• edited September 2020

Wow! Wow! Wow!
    Well done, you guys were the first past the post with Auv3 cc automation.

Noone remembers who was the second man to land on the moon jaja :disappointed:

Now to see if it works ......

• @Richtowns said:
    Wow! Wow! Wow!
    Well done, you guys were the first past the post with Auv3 cc automation.

Noone remembers who was the second man to land on the moon jaja :disappointed:

Now to see if it works ......

Does this cc automation include realtime recording of incoming midi cc?

• @espiegel123 said:

Yes! You need to have the desired midi input selected on the track, the track must be armed for recording and the song must be set to recording.

You should have a new video soon to cover all the news.

• @sinosoidal said:

@espiegel123 said:

Yes! You need to have the desired midi input selected on the track, the track must be armed for recording and the song must be set to recording.

You should have a new video soon to cover all the news.

Great!

• edited September 2020

@sinosoidal
    Really enjoying this way of working in Aum. Here is a little play with cc automation recording in LK using aum, zeeon and kb-1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/48ta5kh8xqr1poj/RPReplay_Final1601142831.MP4?dl=0

• @Richtowns said:
    @sinosoidal
    Really enjoying this way of working in Aum. Here is a little play with cc automation recording in LK using aum, zeeon and kb-1

Sonds great! Thanks for sharing this bit.

Really glad you are enjoying this build. I'm enjoying it too. Today I haven't programmed. Instead I've been playing and making music, only! :blush:

• @sinosoidal said:

@sambo said:
    @sinosoidal - great to see this app evolving so well. I have a request: Any chance that midi import would import multi channel midi files into separate per channel tracks - that would be tremendous.

That is possible. Maybe in a near future. But right now, we are working on MIDI CC automation.

There's a much better option:
    Import the multitrack MIDI into Nanostudio 2 where it will be split into individual tracks automatically.
    You can edit the tracks, cut them, extract what you want and then import it in LK.
    MIDI files are linear tracks while LK is clip based.
    Sure you can import a full track into one clip but LK is clearly built as a pattern based sequencer so you'll be much more flexible if you import separate sections with, say, 4/8/16 bars or the like.

• @sinosoidal said:

@Richtowns said:
    @sinosoidal

Sonds great! Thanks for sharing this bit.

Really glad you are enjoying this build. I'm enjoying it too. Today I haven't programmed. Instead I've been playing and making music, only! :blush:

Music is the best 😊

And LK is now what ATOM should have been in the first place.

• @Richtowns said:
    @sinosoidal

Midi automation in AUM!. 🤘👍
    @Richtowns you’re going through kb-1 to automate Zeeon?. What’s the benefit vs doing it directly?.

• @tahiche Im not sure there is a benifit just the first thing I thought of. In Aum there is lots of ways of doing the same thing.

Ill try directly with Zeeon next but maybe it doesnt send midi cc messages

• I posted a Q in the Mozaic forum, but it occurs to me that LK could maybe do this too now that it has CC automation

1: Could I make a clip with volume cc automation, and trigger that clip by mapping to a hardware controller? so I could hit one button, and slowly raise the volume of an AUM channel.

1. Is launching of clips quantised? can I trigger a clip, as above, sometime during a bar, and the clip would play at the start of the next bar? I assume so. Specifically, I want to trigger the recording of a loop in GTL looper (hosted in AUM). This normally would happen on the trigger, but I want to hit the trigger during the previous bar. I guess it could quantise the launch of clips to beat or bar?
  • I've not tested recording CC in yet but I've been having a lot of fun automating tracks with the clips. :)