Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

LK - for Ableton Live & Midi by Imaginando - AUv3 Clip Launcher Finally Available in AUM!!

Comments

• @wim said:

@sinosoidal said:

@wim said:

@sinosoidal said:

I don't like the idea of having a process that communicates with other. This kind of inter-process communication implies protocols and a lot of code just to manage this. If I had to make this I would make it completely integrated with the current matrix.

What if each track sends its audio to a multi out output channel? From your experience, what is the maximum number of audio outputs of an AUv3 unit?

With multi-out it's much, much better if tracks default to the first "master" output and then can be selectively directed to others. If tracks are hard wired to outputs then you have to fill an AUM session with outputs even if you only need one or two split to another channel. Also, you might want more than one track sent to the same channel; if it's hard-wired you can't do that.

I generally avoid using multi-out on apps that don't let you assign the outputs individually.

I think i have never used a multi-out app. Can you point me some good examples of what you mention? As a user I'm basic. You guys are experts! :blush:

Koala is an example of the "good" way - allowing you to pick the output channel for each sample while defaulting to a master output. Ruismaker Multiout is an example of how I don't like it - you have to add a channel for each pad in order to be able to hear it.

Thanks! :blush:

• @Lea said:
    Could somebody with practical experience on using LK tell me if LK can capture MIDI in AUM that is being send to an instrument, including velocity and pitch bend?

If you can route that midi into LK input, than yes.

Can this MIDI recording be at least 1 or 2 minutes, and then be exported as a MIDI file?

Yes! On existing clip, long press on it and you should see an "Export Midi" option.

Arm the track, set song for recording, press on a empty slot with the record icon and ensure midi is ingoing. It should do the job.

I am sequencing melodies and chords in other AUv3 apps such as Thesys or playing the virtual MIDI keyboard, and would like to capture the individual MIDI of one channel with LK right before it reaches the instrument AuV3 and then export it as MIDI file.

Why do you need to do that right before it reaches the instrument? Maybe simply capture it in parallel?

• @Gravitas said:

@sinosoidal said:

@tahiche said:

@gregsmith said:

@tahiche said:

@sinosoidal said:

@slicetwo said:

Lastly, what are people using for audio clip launchers? Man, if I could host them in this guy with multiout into AUM… mmmmmmmmmm.

This is always a big question here in the office. We could add audio to LK but would that make sense? Also, we could not offer it as a free upgrade as it will require some huge amount of work.

Would the community be available to pay for a in-app purchase to unlock audio? Or would it make sense to make a new app that is essentially a stripped out matrix module with midi sequencing and audo clip playback with multi-track output?

This are some of the questions that arise when we think about it...

Big one, definitely!. I think people would definitely pay for audio capabilities.
    I suggested the way I see it a while back… let me try again.
    I would sort of de-couple audio clips from the main LK app. If possible, I’d do a whole new auv3 instance to handle clips, seamlessly integrated with LK.
    When we discussed this, we didn’t have 4pockets Neon or the upcoming Loopy Pro, but it still (even more) applies. You’d have a LK Clip auv3 that you insert in a AUM channel. LK would see those instances and you’d treat them just like midi, you get the loop bar, progress, etc… You can manage these other apps (loopy, Neon, Multitrack) but the integration is not there… you can send midi commands but it’s cumbersome and get no updated display. With LK’s own clip auv3 you’d record and play clips from LK, LK would act sort of like a remote control, which is how it works anyway with synths and midi stuff hosted in AUM.

Dunno if I’m missing something, but I only think this is worth doing if it’s all in matrix. A midi clip has a piano roll when you go into it, an audio clip has a waveform instead. The difficulty I guess is piping audio into it to record? But not an issue if it’s in an fx slot in aum for instance.

I would 100% pay for this, even with loopy pro around.

I’d have a look at how remixlive works (I think it’s free to try..,). Imagine audio clips like this alongside midi clips. Lovely.

The matrix would still display the available audio clips. But the advantage of having them “outside” is that you are free to do any routing, effects, etc.
    How would you add auv3 effects to LK audio if it was contained in an auv3 LK instance?. You can’t.
    In standalone you’d have to figure out multi outs, host effects, etc, etc.. that’s a massive, massive endeavor. So I’d stick to an iap that allowed for auv3 clips.
    Again, it’s what you can already do with some clip launchers, loopers, Drambo… but in a way that just works. I’ve done some pretty big LK projects with audio. Drambo, Enso, L7, Multitrack… tried it all. You can get it to work but it’s just not worth the hassle.
    As for “it’s all in the matrix”, the operation would be…
    Is this approach technically possible?. I don’t know… the LK clip would have to “inform” the LK matrix of the audio length and so on to get a nice realistic display of the loops and audio. I know that Atom2 or Neon seem to be aware of other instances, so this kind of communication might be possible.
    Here’s what it’d look like:

I don't like the idea of having a process that communicates with other. This kind of inter-process communication implies protocols and a lot of code just to manage this. If I had to make this I would make it completely integrated with the current matrix.

What if each track sends its audio to a multi out output channel? From your experience, what is the maximum number of audio outputs of an AUv3 unit?

MiRack has 16 audio outs as an Auv3 unit.

DigiStix and Drambo have 8 outs. I believe in most cases it should be enough.
    In LK use case you’re using drum machines, you wouldn’t/shouldn’t have a kick drum, snare… you’d keep all that as midi just the way it is. It’s not about changing LK’s spirit, but adding vocals, bass, guitars and so on in an integrated manner.
    And yes, multi output should work just fine. LK is so embedded in the midi slot in my mind that I didn’t even consider that!.

• @sinosoidal said:

@wim said:

@sinosoidal said:

@wim said:

@sinosoidal said:

With multi-out it's much, much better if tracks default to the first "master" output and then can be selectively directed to others. If tracks are hard wired to outputs then you have to fill an AUM session with outputs even if you only need one or two split to another channel. Also, you might want more than one track sent to the same channel; if it's hard-wired you can't do that.

I generally avoid using multi-out on apps that don't let you assign the outputs individually.

I think i have never used a multi-out app. Can you point me some good examples of what you mention? As a user I'm basic. You guys are experts! :blush:

Koala is an example of the "good" way - allowing you to pick the output channel for each sample while defaulting to a master output. Ruismaker Multiout is an example of how I don't like it - you have to add a channel for each pad in order to be able to hear it.

Agree with @wim here. It’s so annoying when you load a multi out app then can’t hear anything without setting up the ‘outs’. Much better to just do it when you want to.

Sometimes you might just want 2-3 outs and use them like busses. One for all the drum tracks etc.

• @gregsmith said:

@sinosoidal said:

@wim said:

@sinosoidal said:

@wim said:

@sinosoidal said:

Agree with @wim here. It’s so annoying when you load a multi out app then can’t hear anything without setting up the ‘outs’. Much better to just do it when you want to.

Sometimes you might just want 2-3 outs and use them like busses. One for all the drum tracks etc.

DigiStix and Drambo also do it the same way as koala, where you can set the output buses from within the app.

• LeaLea
    edited December 2021

@sinosoidal said:

Why do you need to do that right before it reaches the instrument? Maybe simply capture it in parallel?

What I meant was to record the output of the last MIDI program (Rozeta Scaler, etc.) that is also given to the instrument. I gave this output additionally as input to LK and was able to record it in the Matrix there, thanks!

This works nicely so far, however to record, it seems I have to arm the track, and also press the play button so that the bar on the piano roll keeps advancing. Then, when I press the play button in AUM, it records whatever notes are send.

Is there a way so that LK automatically starts recording on the piano roll when I press play in AUM?

I want to record several instruments, one per take, each in a separate MIDI file, and currently they MIDIs are slightly offset in time, as I need to press the play button in LK at first, and then the play button in AUM.

• @Lea said:

@sinosoidal said:

What I meant was to record the output of the last MIDI program (Rozeta Scaler, etc.) that is also given to the instrument. I gave this output additionally as input to LK and was able to record it in the Matrix there, thanks!

This works nicely so far, however to record, it seems I have to arm the track, and also press the play button so that the bar on the piano roll keeps advancing. Then, when I press the play button in AUM, it records whatever notes are send.

Is there a way so that LK automatically starts recording on the piano roll when I press play in AUM?

I want to record several instruments, one per take, each in a separate MIDI file, and currently they MIDIs are slightly offset in time, as I need to press the play button in LK at first, and then the play button in AUM.

Turn on host sync in LK

• Picked up the Controller IAP in this sale. Good stuff, recommended.

I wish the top knobs could be adjusted horizontally instead of vertically, is that not possible? I make the LK window tall and narrow in order to have good faders, but then these knobs are at the very top and not adjustable atm.

I started on a matrix preset called "AUM-ctrl" where each clip is automation-only; fade in 1 bar, fade in 2 bars, fade out 1 bar, cycle 4 bars, etc. Mostly for AUM volume faders, but will combine with Controller iap later for some additional cutoff etc. Anyway, I set all clips to have a gray color, and used AUM to save as preset in AUM (locally). When I reload this preset in a new LK instance, all clips get assigned some random colors. Is that a bug?

Btw, I also had some issues with the preset not saving both Matrix and Controller adjustments, but after some trial and error to reproduce (it happened many times, in different ways ...), it finally settled on a correct reload (except for those clip colors). So I guess I have no bug to report there atm.

• @espiegel123 said:

Turn on host sync in LK

Thanks, this works now.

I clicked on CLOCK SOURCE Host in LK Matrix, so that the chain symbol became yellow. Then, I also had to click on the play button of the track, it did not change any color, but with this, as soon as I pressed the AUM play button, LK Matrix kept receiving the MIDI notes and started the MIDI recording. Nice program, I bought the Matrix IAP.

• edited December 2021

@sinosoidal I've been experiencing a TON of crashes and bugs with LK under various circumstances, though they're all in AUM.

1. I have 4 clips (3 in one column, 1 in another). Routed to Drambo in AUM with one synth. That channel is bussed to another channel with a delay on it. LK is either hanging notes, or completely freezing. When I try and open it, the AU window is blank.

2. I'll write out a four note chord 1 bar long. I select all 4 notes to resize. They all resize to different sizes at the same time (so one will go to 3/4 bar, one 1/4 bar, etc.). Same happens if I try to make notes longer.

3. I'll load up LK. Make some clips. Go into their properties to rename them, the keyboard doesn't show up. Go back into AUM to test the keyboard, and it shows up fine.

4. Sometimes, LK just goes red-slashes-of-death on my when I am trying to copy, rename, or otherwise just use it. Even reloading the AU doesn't help, it just crashes again.

5. Placing notes in the composer doesn't always work. Sometimes they don't show up at all, or they don't let me drag them to size.

Not sure if this is a bug or not, but my controller CC assignments and labels on the control panel do not save in my presets. I have templates that I've made for my AUM session, and it seems that I need to reassign them every time.

Still can't figure out what you were talking about with mapping the vol/pan in the composer to AUM, either.

Thanks!

• edited December 2021

@slicetwo said:
    @sinosoidal I've been experiencing a TON of crashes and bugs with LK under various circumstances, though they're all in AUM.

1. I have 4 clips (3 in one column, 1 in another). Routed to Drambo in AUM with one synth. That channel is bussed to another channel with a delay on it. LK is either hanging notes, or completely freezing. When I try and open it, the AU window is blank.

2. I'll write out a four note chord 1 bar long. I select all 4 notes to resize. They all resize to different sizes at the same time (so one will go to 3/4 bar, one 1/4 bar, etc.). Same happens if I try to make notes longer.

3. I'll load up LK. Make some clips. Go into their properties to rename them, the keyboard doesn't show up. Go back into AUM to test the keyboard, and it shows up fine.

4. Sometimes, LK just goes red-slashes-of-death on my when I am trying to copy, rename, or otherwise just use it. Even reloading the AU doesn't help, it just crashes again.

5. Placing notes in the composer doesn't always work. Sometimes they don't show up at all, or they don't let me drag them to size.

Not sure if this is a bug or not, but my controller CC assignments and labels on the control panel do not save in my presets. I have templates that I've made for my AUM session, and it seems that I need to reassign them every time.

Still can't figure out what you were talking about with mapping the vol/pan in the composer to AUM, either.

Thanks!

There has been some reports of freezing/hanging but we can't reproduce them. I believe it has something to do with the way LK is setup.

If you are able to reproduce this bugs sistematically, please send us the AUM project and tell us how to replicate. The more sistematically we are able to reproduce a crash/freeze, the quicker we can resolve it.

Regarding the AUM mapping on the LK node, it is a known problem and we are trying to find a way of working around it. The problem is that LK parameters are dynamic, which is kind uncommon. Since LK can have one or more tracks/scenes and the number of parameters change from project to project. Right now, when AUM loads the parameters, the song is not loaded yet and AUM can't see those parameters, that's why the parameters are gone. We are investigating.

• @slicetwo . You might check for crash logs at the times of these incidents. They'll be in Settings–>Privacy–>Analytics & Improvements–>Analytics Data, and the filename will begin with "LK". If you share these with the dev, they might give a clue.

• @sinosoidal and @uncledave Thanks for the info! I'll look into crash logs to see what I can find, and I'll try and reproduce the issue reliably. Maybe I'll do a screen recording of a session, and if it freezes or crashes, I can send a clip.

• @slicetwo said:
    @sinosoidal and @uncledave Thanks for the info! I'll look into crash logs to see what I can find, and I'll try and reproduce the issue reliably. Maybe I'll do a screen recording of a session, and if it freezes or crashes, I can send a clip.

I should have mentioned this: ignore the logs named LK.wakeups_resource. They seem to be normal for many apps, possibly listening for MIDI. The crash ones will be named simply LK-the date goes here.

• @uncledave said:

@slicetwo said:
    @sinosoidal and @uncledave Thanks for the info! I'll look into crash logs to see what I can find, and I'll try and reproduce the issue reliably. Maybe I'll do a screen recording of a session, and if it freezes or crashes, I can send a clip.

I should have mentioned this: ignore the logs named LK.wakeups_resource. They seem to be normal for many apps, possibly listening for MIDI. The crash ones will be named simply LK-the date goes here.

You can also join the beta testing and the crashes can be seen automatically by us.

But please pay attention that sometimes we see crashes reports but they are inconclusive about their trigger thus the need to know how to reproduce them in a sistematic way. If you want to join the beta testing, please me pvt message with your email.

• @sinosoidal said:

@uncledave said:

@slicetwo said:

You can also join the beta testing and the crashes can be seen automatically by us.

But please pay attention that sometimes we see crashes reports but they are inconclusive about their trigger thus the need to know how to reproduce them in a sistematic way. If you want to join the beta testing, please me pvt message with your email.

Killer. I've messaged you. Thanks!

• @Janosax

Are you on the beta list of LK? We've released a new beta which fixes the midi assignments bug when loading/restoring the AUM session, that you've reported. If you're not please pm me your email address so I can add you =)

• @xglax said:
    @Janosax

Are you on the beta list of LK? We've released a new beta which fixes the midi assignments bug when loading/restoring the AUM session, that you've reported. If you're not please pm me your email address so I can add you =)

Seems it’s fixed now, great job thanks :)

• @Janosax said:

@xglax said:
    @Janosax

Good news!!! :blush:

• Hello, Is there any way to set the grid to triplet ?
    Thanks

• @Janosax said:

@xglax said:
    @Janosax

Gotta say I really dig your color palette!. 🎨 Very mellow and earthy.
    I’ve never thought about the colors until now!. Do you keep a template?. Cos there’s no way to change the default color options, is there?.

• @tahiche said:

@Janosax said:

@xglax said:
    @Janosax

Gotta say I really dig your color palette!. 🎨 Very mellow and earthy.
    I’ve never thought about the colors until now!. Do you keep a template?. Cos there’s no way to change the default color options, is there?.

Yeah colors does a lot to get inspired IMO, first app contact is with eyes. Yes I always keep templates in both AUM and LK. You can changes colors in clip properties:

• edited December 2021

@Janosax said:
    Yeah colors does a lot to get inspired IMO, first app contact is with eyes.

100% agree. I like LK’s flat and minimal design, doesn’t get in the way. I love the way ApeSoft apps are laid out, very inspiring. FAC is always nice and to the point, BLEASS is clean and unobtrusive. Fabfilter very useful friendly… On the other side of the spectrum Auria and 4pockets I find very off putting. Do we need designs to resemble analog mixers, all the 3d glory and shiny metal?.

• @Janosax

The new beta (build 270) tries to fix the issue you've reported regarding the pitch bend. If there is still any problem please let me know.

• This is becoming very frustrating for me, I can’t figure this out no matter where I look in the manual so I hope someone here can help me

I’m trying to use this as a drum machine sequencer but it chokes notes if I have more than one note triggered on the piano roll. I tried this with other apps and it did the same thing. How I get it to be able to play more than one note? Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question…but it’s making me mad and once someone gets mad, well…let’s just say I’m not thinking clearly anymore. Hopefully it’s just a simple solution…

Thanks in advance for whoever might be able to point me in the right direction

• @ambrosiajam said:
    This is becoming very frustrating for me, I can’t figure this out no matter where I look in the manual so I hope someone here can help me

I’m trying to use this as a drum machine sequencer but it chokes notes if I have more than one note triggered on the piano roll. I tried this with other apps and it did the same thing. How I get it to be able to play more than one note? Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question…but it’s making me mad and once someone gets mad, well…let’s just say I’m not thinking clearly anymore. Hopefully it’s just a simple solution…

Thanks in advance for whoever might be able to point me in the right direction

It sounds like you need to figure out how your drum machine is set up. This doesn't sound like it has to do with the sequencer.

• I don’t have any choke groups set up and never had this issue before with other programs. But I also can’t find any choke settings in LK. Maybe there’s an issue with the midi settings that I overlooked or accidentally turned on/off or something. I don’t think AUM has any settings like this either. I’m admittedly new to using LK, but not new to triggering my machine with midi or routing/etc. I’ll keep messing around with it.

• @ambrosiajam said:
    I don’t have any choke groups set up and never had this issue before with other programs. But I also can’t find any choke settings in LK. Maybe there’s an issue with the midi settings that I overlooked or accidentally turned on/off or something. I don’t think AUM has any settings like this either. I’m admittedly new to using LK, but not new to triggering my machine with midi or routing/etc. I’ll keep messing around with it.

You could use a MIDI monitor app to confirm that LK is sending all the notes. Are they maybe on different channels?

• LK was able to send multi-notes to other apps, like Model 15 for example.

It’s a problem with the Roland tr-8s. For some reason it is acting ‘monophonic’ instead of ‘polyphonic’, but only in regards to midi messages sent via my midi/usb adapter cable. I can still play it and run the on-board sequencer like normal. But not the other way around, regardless of choke settings or after adjusting the equipment’s midi settings. It used to work, but now it’s not. and I cannot for the life of of me find any info about this. It seems like it’s normally a non-issue (but everything I’ve found is just people who control the tr-8s with their daw are using a desktop)

Seems like an issue for another thread or even just something I should just forget about.

And here I thought the awkward little boundaries between iOS and hardware were finally over…there’s always some little bugs! Yaghr!

I’m liking LK though…it’s like the closest thing to getting Gadget in AUM as an AU imo 🙃

• @ambrosiajam : why do you attribute this to LK. What happens when you send notes to your drum machine from another sequencer or keyboard app?