Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Korg Gadget Controlling My Roland Drum Machine

Hi All thanks for your input.

I did get this working and it is a bit quirky, here is what I did:

I have a Roland TR-8 Drum machine I love it but is has no song mode so you cannot program complete songs with repeating patterns for verses, chorus etc.

Korg gadget is basically just a sequencer and with Taipei as a gadget you can send midi out.
This in theory allows you to use gadget to program a drum track for an entire song.

You may ask, Why?

Because the Roland Drum machine sounds much better than the equivalent Korg Gadget Drum machine. Otherwise I would just use that and save myself the hassle. In fact I did attempt to use Gadget for the drums, but when I am fleshing out Ideas I often just use the The Roland TR-8 and and jam along. Then I would create the same pattern in Gadget and it just did not sound right to me I was not getting the same feeling. So I A/B’d them and.... wow what difference.

So I decided the have gadget control the tr-8.

The tr-8 has usb midi but that does not work without a driver/computer. It is not class compliant (Damn you Roland!)

It also has din midi, the old school Midi plugs but the the iPad and my usb hub do not!

So I had to use this:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/keyboards-midi/m-audio-usb-uno-1x1-midi-interface/701379000000000?cntry=us&source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIs4C7n42-6gIVAhLnCh18-gH5EAQYASABEgIkNvD_BwE

The IPad and gadget recognize the the uno midi devise, Yay!

So I figure I will program all the drum patterns using the Korg gadget london (electronic drums) and then just Copy and Paste to Taipei and now that will control the tr-8, NOPE!

When I spent all that time programming London and then Copied and pasted to Taipei, it condensed and transposed the note information so that the kick was correct but every other beat, drum cymbal etc is now a snare!!!! ARRRRGGGHHHH!

I realize that I have reprogram all the drum patterns in Taipei which is not a drum gadget. I need to hear the tr-8 while I do this:

IMPORTANT!!!

You must disable the Midi Button on Taipei before playing or programIng the pattern. There is a MIDI button on the Mix window at the bottom of Taipei and on the bottom of the Taipei Gadget when using the piano roll to play/ program Taipei. If you turn it off in the mix window and then go to the Gadget/piano roll it is automatically turned on again!!! Damn you Korg!

So make sure to turn it off all the time before everything you do. It seems counter intuitive to turn off a midi button but if you do not the tr-8 freaks out playing random drums at break neck speed.

I had to find out which notes in the Taipei piano roll correspond to the Roland TR-8 drum machine. So here is a starter.

Go to the Taipei gadget, turn off the midi button at the bottom

C2 is the Kick
D2 is the Snare
F#2 is the Closed Hi Hat
A#2 is the Open HI Hat

Program your pattern, hit play Yay success!

When you return to the main/mix screen remember to turn off the Midi button at the Bottom of Taipei. You have to repeatedly turn it off when ever you switch screens.

I have successfully programmed the drums and bass for a song and them I can play the rhythms and melodies on top of that live. I should be able to record this the same way.

Hopefully this helps anyone else with a hardware/IOS set up

If anyone knows a better way to do this let me know.

Thanks and have a great day

Comments

• edited July 2020

Nice!
    Have you considered sampling a bunch of TR-8 hits and use Bilbao?
    It's my "MPC style sampler" in Gadget.

Note: You can tune the drum samples to semitones if you stick to multiples of 100 for the pitch knob value. 1200 is one octave.

• @ralis said:
    IMPORTANT!!!

You must disable the Midi Button on Taipei before playing or programIng the pattern. There is a MIDI button on the Mix window at the bottom of Taipei and on the bottom of the Taipei Gadget when using the piano roll to play/ program Taipei. If you turn it off in the mix window and then go to the Gadget/piano roll it is automatically turned on again!!! Damn you Korg!

So make sure to turn it off all the time before everything you do. It seems counter intuitive to turn off a midi button but if you do not the tr-8 freaks out playing random drums at break neck speed.

This is probably due to a midi loop. Gadget sends to TR-8 and TR-8 sends back to Gadget, which sends to TR-8 ...

Try making sure that advanced MIDI is turned on and that you select No-Input on the MIDI setting for that channel (it probably says ALL now). Or, if you can figure out how to make the TR-8 not send midi out, that should do it too.

Or, it could be due to midi clock. You can try setting MIDI Sync to Int to see if this is the case.

• @wim said:

@ralis said:
    IMPORTANT!!!

This is probably due to a midi loop. Gadget sends to TR-8 and TR-8 sends back to Gadget, which sends to TR-8 ...

Try making sure that advanced MIDI is turned on and that you select No-Input on the MIDI setting for that channel (it probably says ALL now). Or, if you can figure out how to make the TR-8 not send midi out, that should do it too.

Or, it could be due to midi clock. You can try setting MIDI Sync to Int to see if this is the case.

This is some great info I will try these. I did consider a “Midi Loop” issue and unplugged the midi out of the TR-8 but no change.

• wimwim
    edited July 2020

@ralis said:

@wim said:

@ralis said:
    IMPORTANT!!!

This is some great info I will try these. I did consider a “Midi Loop” issue and unplugged the midi out of the TR-8 but no change.

Humm. If you already unplugged the TR-8 midi out then it may not be a midi loop. It may be midi clock then. Changing sync to Int. might help.

Another idea would be to try having a completely empty pattern in the TR-8. It could be that a TR-8 pattern is playing while you're also sending notes to it from Taipei.

• Ok will try those