Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

IAA & ios14 - working it appears

just saw a post by someone on the ipad musician facebook group, apparently IAA still working in ios14! (Cubasis 3 & Synth One tested)

Comments

• IAA has been deprecated, so I would imagine the timing on being completely removed would be based on on how many apps still use it. Hopefully another version or two of iOS.

• @michael_m said:
    IAA has been deprecated, so I would imagine the timing on being completely removed would be based on on how many apps still use it. Hopefully another version or two of iOS.

yeah, that's kinda what I think too. But have seen many people post comments fearing it would be gone next ios - so just putting anybody's mind to rest - for now.

• That is good to know though, as it does let everyone know they have a year or more breathing space still.

• Is there any advantage in updating to iOS 14 now or are there any probs with music apps running in it? I haven’t followed this closely, hoping for a quick update.

• @Gavinski said:
    Is there any advantage in updating to iOS 14 now or are there any probs with music apps running in it? I haven’t followed this closely, hoping for a quick update.

still in beta release... probably September for release?

• edited July 2020

IAA will go away anytime soon, thank God. Hopefully we will not see IAA in final ios 14.2. All the shit, outdated , buggy apps will get flushed out. Its only positive.
    for the handful of ppl using some obscure vintage app better stay at ios 13

• @Gavinski said:
    Is there any advantage in updating to iOS 14 now or are there any probs with music apps running in it? I haven’t followed this closely, hoping for a quick update.

You need to spend about 100 USD to get a developer account to install the beta as of now as public betas aren’t out yet. So you’ll pay that, and then you can expect to have a lot of bugs as this is where they are working them out.

So, if you like to pay money to have things not consistently working just to get a glimpse of what can possibly be the future in some manifestation then it’s worth it.

In other words just wait. Put the public beta on a spare iPad if you really want. It will probably be out soon enough.

• @noob said:
    IAA will go away anytime soon, thank God. Hopefully we will not see IAA in final ios 14.2. All the shit, outdated , buggy apps will get flushed out. Its only positive.

Really useful insight into the state of things there, thanks for that. Guess I’m one of the handful. Maybe the rush to update contributes to creating all the shit, buggy apps?

• yep this is good.. some fire under devs feet to update

• @noob said:
    @DMan wut?
    its all in here; https://betaprofiles.com/

It’s probably best not to download things from unknown sources. Who knows what they put in there.

https://beta.apple.com This is the official and it says public betas will be out soon.

You need to install Profiles to get the betas to work and profiles from unknown sources is a really bad idea. Maybe it’s fine, but I wouldn’t risk it.

• As an owner of quite a few IAA apps I am happy that this deprecation doesn't mean "no longer will work". I just hope that my favorites do get updated at some point to auv3. (Tonestack, Touchscaper, Samplr among others)

• I have two iPads.

I keep one about 6 months behind in iOS updates. The other I update as soon as the online consensus says Apps are functioning normally.

When the day arrives that IAA is gone, and if my Korg synths (and others) are still not AUv3. That's when I'll freeze the one iPad on the last iOS version that lets me continue to use my IAA only Apps.

• @noob said:

Hi there!
    I have mostly IAA apps, and with one exception (SampleTank, after one of mid-upgrades od iOS), never had a problem with bugs. If I can complain, there's an interesting bug in iLectric piano by IKM; during switching patches, AUM's DSP meter shows over 1500% of (ab)use (yes, over fifteen hundred)

• The programmer in me understands how iOS devs hate the idea of being continuously forced to update software just to maintain the status quo. I mean who likes the proposition: 'You're going to spend months of work in order to arrive basically exactly where you are now' ?

On the other hand the iOS musician in me hopes this lights a fire under Korg to make their apps AUv3. Every day I hope for an AUv3 Mono/Poly update!

• edited July 2020

yeah why the forced change must be, to Korg get a grip must do (Yoda)

• I have the guts to even install the iPadOS 14 beta 2 on my newest iPad Pro 12.9" 2020 edition (256GB/celluar)!

Stable as hell! Hav’nt yet discovered any specific problem... IAA works well (Propellerheads Thor will always go along with me)...

I can really recommend download the beta profile from the above mentioned website (betaprofiles.com)...

• @ErrkaPetti yep, its official profiles. Using ios 14 beta 2 now on 3 devices.—- ipad pro 2020 11” cellular 128gb —-ipad gen 6 32gb, —-iphone7, 32gb, no problems at all, only ONE little bug, some gfx glitching when switching IAA

• Anf, just now, iPadOS/iOS 14 beta 2 has been released as public beta from Apple!

• @noob said:

Highly unlikely that IAA (a MAJOR functionality) will be dropped in a dot release. Apple almost never rolls that way.

While IAA may be outdated, there are some amazing apps (that are as stable as any AUv3 out there) that are super stable and popular. If it is in iOS 14.0, it is not going to get pulled in iOS 14.2

Much of the decision will probably be based on how many important IAA apps are out there. Or if some change in architecture makes it hard to leave it in. Some deprecated technologies have lived for many OS releases post-deprecation.

• @Gavinski said:

RRS apps all crash on launch, which is a shame as I LURVE PolyIvoks. Haven’t experienced any other serious issues with music apps so far, but YMMV. I installed iOS 14 on my iPad, debating whether to bring my phone into the mix. Consensus seems to be stability more on the level of iOS 12 than iOS 13 as far as betas are concerned. From experience 12 was gravy, the 13 beta was a f**kshow.

• many apps already starting to be unavailable in appstore (ios 14 b2) ive got a few that wouldn’t reinstall after this update. “the developer of this app needs to update to make it work on your version of ios” .. They Apple wants unity in their (new) echo system , (ARM) so expect more of this goodness anytime soon.

• wimwim
    edited July 2020

@noob said:
    many apps already starting to be unavailable in appstore (ios 14 b2) ive got a few that wouldn’t reinstall after this update. “the developer of this app needs to update to make it work on your version of ios” .. They Apple wants unity in their (new) echo system , (ARM) so expect more of this goodness anytime soon.

That may be good news in disguise for my purposes. I'm just waiting for that signal that the next update will be "one update too many" to signal me to freeze my much loved Air 2. It will be a relief actually to no longer going through that decision process. I never got over going too far with updates on my original iPad 2, turning it into a paperweight, and learning that "restoring from backup" on iOS doesn't mean what I thought it did.

• @wim. What version is your Air 2 running?

• @wim said:

@noob said:
    many apps already starting to be unavailable in appstore (ios 14 b2) ive got a few that wouldn’t reinstall after this update. “the developer of this app needs to update to make it work on your version of ios” .. They Apple wants unity in their (new) echo system , (ARM) so expect more of this goodness anytime soon.

That may be good news in disguise for my purposes. I'm just waiting for that signal that the next update will be "one update too many" to signal me to freeze my much loved Air 2. It will be a relief actually to no longer going through that decision process. I never got over going too far with updates on my original iPad 2, turning it into a paperweight, and learning that "restoring from backup" on iOS doesn't mean what I thought it did.

I have these concerns too I am running an iPad Pro second gen 12.9 with 11.3.1 installed
    To upgrade or not to upgrade? I am missing out on a few new apps Cubasis 3, looperator, SKIID...
    Aaaargh.

• @Ben said:
    @wim. What version is your Air 2 running?

13.5.1 - Workin' fine. But I have that feeling like when you're walking in the dark and are about to stub your toe on the dresser leg that you know is out there somewhere. It'll be relief when there's a clear "nope" on a release. I almost wish Apple would just drop upgrade support for the Air 2 already. My guess is they'll take it just that little bit too far.

• @noob said:

This is why I gotten an iPad Air2 hidden in the shelf with still on iOS 10.31 - there I can run the most abandon software and still supports 32-bits apps...
    Lucky me have five different iPads to play with ;-)

• edited July 2020

yeah even better to cut off wifi completely on one ipad to be sure, and slowly try migrate the old work to the new setup..if you know what i mean.. see, i don’t count on Thor beeing updated , better be safe..
    (can’t believe im saying this) but Drambo and many new apps can replace most of my ancient synths and utils already. and i will miss them but ah well nothing terminal, and I stay away from non AU apps from here.. apart from utils

• @noob said:
    yeah why the forced change must be, to Korg get a grip must do (Yoda)

hehe, but working it appears!