Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Things iOS lacks

Comments

• @wim said:

@Clueless said:
    Proper Spatialization

I'd be interested to understand what you mean by this.

Something like this f.e.
    https://www.2caudio.com/products/pbj#_Overview

• wimwim
    edited July 2020

@Clueless said:

@wim said:

@Clueless said:
    Proper Spatialization

Something like this f.e.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/binaural-location/id1467869713 ... at least partially.

• @Samu said:
    Sooner or later Logic in one form or another will drop for the iPad.
    Developers need a fully featured host to test their plug-ins on and iLogic could provide that.

I've tried most DAWs & Hosts that are available on iOS and every single one of them has one or more 'issue' that gets on my nerves sooner or later.

A simple task as rendering a loop without glitches seems to be an impossible task for most hosts when a plug-ins need a bit of latency compensation which most limiters introduce. Even the Cubasis built-in Waves stuff won't render without glitches, there's always a small gap at the beginning of the audio file so even if the loop or section is fully rendered it's 'shifted' in time so parts of it get cut off. Same deal with ZenBeats. BM3 does pretty good job at doing synced recording which is the easiest way to render good loops...

Either I'm way too picky or the Q&A is lacking big time and it's driving me nuts!

I love the iPad but it's working a lot better as a sound module & remote for Logic than a stand-alone device...

Totally agree with you @Samu there.. 100% mate..

• @studs1966 said:

@Samu said:
    Sooner or later Logic in one form or another will drop for the iPad.
    Developers need a fully featured host to test their plug-ins on and iLogic could provide that.

I've tried most DAWs & Hosts that are available on iOS and every single one of them has one or more 'issue' that gets on my nerves sooner or later.

A simple task as rendering a loop without glitches seems to be an impossible task for most hosts when a plug-ins need a bit of latency compensation which most limiters introduce. Even the Cubasis built-in Waves stuff won't render without glitches, there's always a small gap at the beginning of the audio file so even if the loop or section is fully rendered it's 'shifted' in time so parts of it get cut off. Same deal with ZenBeats. BM3 does pretty good job at doing synced recording which is the easiest way to render good loops...

Either I'm way too picky or the Q&A is lacking big time and it's driving me nuts!

I love the iPad but it's working a lot better as a sound module & remote for Logic than a stand-alone device...

Totally agree with you @Samu there.. 100% mate..

But also Apple need to make iOS with minimum Ram of at least 8gb. Desktop Apple & Windows plugs & DAW need this requirement... They (j I heard they are making iOS for MAC compatible later.. Or it’s a stupid rumour again?) In the near future.. iOS apps are small so it can happen on a Apple desktop.. But not the other way round.. People who want to make real music with Pro software (Ableton, Logic, Cubase, ProTools) on a Tablet.. Better invest in a Windows Surface Pro!... The price of a iPad is not far behind the price of a Windows Surface device.. Now!... & I can imagine Apple only putting the price up even more to make meet that requirement to make it happen?.. Sod that, as I can do just the same on a half price Laptop, the a iPad.. Half the price.. At least this way, I’m making money off the Laptop with music... Only my option tho.. Sitting on the fence weighing out all possibilities.. Now devs are making there apps from iOS to Desktops now.. Better income for them.. Larger crowd.. using on iOS is small compared.. Maybe why Apple are that not too bothered about iOS music creating at the moment?..

• App trading.

• Micro SD Slots

• @Fingolfinzzz said:
    I’d be happy with just a clip launcher that works properly and has midi in and is an audio unit

Technically you have been able to do this with Egoist for ages but in a limited way.

Overall I am happy with iOS and don't find it lacks anything. Most of the sync issues have been solved and stability has improved a lot.

Zenbeats is definitely the best for making "songs" on iOS for me.

• Viruses.

• @jolico said:
    Viruses.

Which is why we need SD Card readers. :D

• Piracy!

(I want my synth to come loaded with a bitminer dammit...)

• @Lil_Stu07 said:

@Samu said:

@PeteSasqwax said:

@Samu said:
    A simple task as rendering a loop without glitches seems to be an impossible task for most hosts when a plug-ins need a bit of latency compensation which most limiters introduce.

Can AUM not achieve this using X2 as sequencer? I've never had any issues

I use BM3 for those duties when needed.
    Got a tip about using real-time render in Cubasis 3 so I'll give that a spin tomorrow and see if it works better.
    Many of the hosts lack proper latency compensation for plug-ins...

Curious to know what this rendering tip is?

Cubasis 3 has an option to do real-time rendering, it’s one of the compatibility settings, will try later today using Pro-L2, Maxima, built-in Waves stuff and see if it really works. (It hasn’t so far so I don’t have any high expectations of success).

In BM3 i do a synced recording of a selcted track to a pad and that works 99% when I need it.

• @mrufino1 said:
    A real file system. That’s the thing that made me go back to my mac for most things.

+1.

And universal drag and drop. You should be able to drag any audio file/clip from anywhere, to any app.

And a desktop, or something else for temporarily parking and collecting files and folders.

• @BroCoast said:

@Fingolfinzzz said:
    I’d be happy with just a clip launcher that works properly and has midi in and is an audio unit

Technically you have been able to do this with Egoist for ages but in a limited way.

Overall I am happy with iOS and don't find it lacks anything. Most of the sync issues have been solved and stability has improved a lot.

Zenbeats is definitely the best for making "songs" on iOS for me.

I’ll have to revisit Egoist and try that out, I didn’t realize I could do it with that

• @gusgranite said:
    Piracy!

(I want my synth to come loaded with a bitminer dammit...)

It would be great for the winter. Synths that keep your hands warm.

• @gusgranite said:
    App trading.

Damn, if this was a thing I'd trade away soooo many apps.

• @wim said:

@Clueless said:

@wim said:

@Clueless said:
    Proper Spatialization

Something like this f.e.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/binaural-location/id1467869713 ... at least partially.

No, not even close. :)

• I think what it really needs is to be solar powered with a much bigger screen that you can also easily fit in your pocket.

• @robosardine said:
    I think what it really needs is to be solar powered with a much bigger screen that you can also easily fit in your pocket.

The problem with solar is that your device screen goes brighter in sunlight and uses more power.

This will save the planet:
    https://www.engadget.com/2015-03-05-wankband-solo-sex-gadget-charger.html?guccounter=1

• Noisy fans.

• The common denominator that describes most of iOS users is lack of focus. This is partly due to the lack of comprehensive one stable app solution a la Ableton or Logic for most user scenarios.

It is a much bigger problem and not only limited to iOS.

The main issue remains though as most of us seem not to finish projects which is fine if jamming is the purpose of the exercise.
    Fragmentation and short attention span is a disease of the digital age and I feel it affects all areas of life these days. At least mine.

If one could manage to have a solid work ethic, the availability and hence power of music making tools today is immense.

• @AndyPlankton said:
    Noisy fans.

This!
    I disconnected the fans of my VS-2480 and A-3000 since 2002. I didn’t fry them yet.
    The PC had to move to another room though.

• @supadom said:
    The common denominator that describes most of iOS users is lack of focus. This is partly due to the lack of comprehensive one stable app solution a la Ableton or Logic for most user scenarios.

The main issue remains though as most of us seem not to finish projects which is fine if jamming is the purpose of the exercise.
    Fragmentation and short attention span is a disease of the digital age and I feel it affects all areas of life these days. At least mine.

If one could manage to have a solid work ethic, the availability and hence power of music making tools today is immense.

+100000000000000000000000000000000000000

• @supadom said:
    The common denominator that describes most of iOS users is lack of focus. This is partly due to the lack of comprehensive one stable app solution a la Ableton or Logic for most user scenarios.

Exactly

• @Clueless said:

@wim said:

@Clueless said:

@wim said:

@Clueless said:
    Proper Spatialization

Something like this f.e.

No, not even close. :)

What about this one? Works pretty well.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/virtualroom-au/id1285558162

• @supadom said:

Agreed, but add to that the choice paralysis phenomenon and things become exponentially worse. It seems intentional to me....
    In the best of possible worlds, rather than having a platform filled with product developers all in competition with one another trying to reinvent the wheel or make slight improvements to what the other developers are already providing, I would like to see these talented developers come together as a team, all working on one specific project like a giant think tank - with the objective of producing the very best and most inspiring tool for each specific job.

With that sort of philosophy, rather than having a handful of offerings from different developers - none of which are able to come up with a polished, bug-free end product - we would have one really excellent DAW, one really excellent instrument rig with all the best of what digital modeling technologies are able to provide - and it would be the same for each of the music production tools musicians need.

That won't happen, but just imagine what the state of the art could be like if by some miracle it did?

• @DSCB57 said:

@supadom said:

Agreed, but add to that the choice paralysis phenomenon and things become exponentially worse. It seems intentional to me....
    In the best of possible worlds, rather than having a platform filled with product developers all in competition with one another trying to reinvent the wheel or make slight improvements to what the other developers are already providing, I would like to see these talented developers come together as a team, all working on one specific project like a giant think tank - with the objective of producing the very best and most inspiring tool for each specific job.

With that sort of philosophy, rather than having a handful of offerings from different developers - none of which are able to come up with a polished, bug-free end product - we would have one really excellent DAW, one really excellent instrument rig with all the best of what digital modeling technologies are able to provide - and it would be the same for each of the music production tools musicians need.

That won't happen, but just imagine what the state of the art could be like if by some miracle it did?

Ha, now you’re talking!

If all governments in the world got together and ended all conflicts and put funds to eradicate poverty and disease without the need to benefit from it....

You may say I’m a dreamer,
    But I’m not the only one

• edited July 2020

Things iOS lacks ?

For me - nothing. Current status is perfect for me, i never believe i would have perfect tool for music making in my hands. This is it. Not saying that minor improvements here and there wouldn't be nice, but they're not mandatory for me. I'm happy with what i have now.

• @dendy said:

Things iOS lacks ?

For me - nothing. Current status is perfect for me, i never believe i would have perfect tool for music making in my hands. This is it. Not saying that minor improvements here and there wouldn't be nice, but they're not mandatory for me. I'm happy with what i have now.

I wonder if arrival of Drambo had anything to do with you state of nirvana :)