Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Ipad as live effect pedal

Hi all,
I was thinking of using the ipad as an effect pedal for my live vocals and instruments. I was thinking of using delay and reverb. Is this a good idea, I mean will there be noticable latency? What audio interface would be good for this?

Comments

• Zoom U-24 ideal, good in/out options and can be battery powered.

Latency shouldn’t be an issue, but that depends how old your device is and how much you throw at it. 2 audio inputs with delay and reverb should be sweet on anything 5 years old or less.

• Thanks @steve99 I have an ipad pro 2018 so it should have enough cpu power.

• You don't have to worry about latency too much if using just delay and reverb. Just set them 100% wet and blend with your dry signal to taste.

For other FX you will want to only hear processed sound so you will need to set a low buffer (64 samples.)

• @BroCoast thanks for the low buffer tips

• Depends how dynamic the stage situation is. If you’re jumping around Angus Young style then probably iPad solution is too delicate. Especially usb connections are made for office desk use.

Using apps stand-alone would defo be the way to go for stability or if you can find a stable hosted AU chain that could work too but the more apps from different devs you use the more moving parts there are.
    TS has a very decent midi implementation to pair it up with a foot controller but of course there’s others: Amplitube, Jamup, GA Labs. Try search this forum I’m sure you’ll find a lot of info on their stability.

• Thanks @supadom, TS is tonestack right?

• @steve99 said:
    Zoom U-24 ideal, good in/out options and can be battery powered.

Latency shouldn’t be an issue, but that depends how old your device is and how much you throw at it. 2 audio inputs with delay and reverb should be sweet on anything 5 years old or less.

+1 The Zoom U-24 is really perfect for this job.

• edited July 2020

@fattigman said:
    Thanks @supadom, TS is tonestack right?

Yep, I personally find it great sounding but I don’t use heavy distortions etc but cleans and effects such as analog tape delay, octaver (great tracking even with chords!), guitar synth (blue furr) and more exotic stuff like bit crush are IMO superb.

• Just an idea but you might be able to use their built in splitter effect to build a parallel effect chain, one for vocals and one for guitar but you’ll be loosing stereo effects if only used on one channel. I haven’t tried it though.

• @supadom thanks for the ideas. I have TS I just haven’t spent so much time woth it. Never even thought of using it for other than guitar.