Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How to auto shut down music apps running in the background?

I noticed in the last couple of days that the battery drains somewhat faster. Finally find out that it was one of my music apps. Again.
Not the first time it happened to me and I think it happens to many of us. It’s very annoying. I used to take care to shut the apps down, but sometimes I forget.

So the question is that is there a way to automatically shut down music apps running in the background? For example after 30 mins of inactivity to prevent them running for hours, days, etc.

I know that most of the apps have background audio on/off option, which can help, but I’m not looking for this.

Comments

• wimwim
    edited July 2020

Sorry, no, there is no automatic way to shut down apps.

• Hold the power button until the Slide to Power Off appears, release it, then hold the Home button until the Passcode screen comes up.
    I think the Passcode screen is new on iOS13. It used to accept Finger ID, but now you have to enter your Passcode.

Anyway, this is supposed to kill all running background stuff, via a soft reboot.

• If you ever want to hard reboot, hold Power and Home together until the device reboots, but keep holding. The Apple logo appears, keep holding, the device finally shuts down.
    Hit the Power button the restart the device.

• @wim :disappointed:

@CracklePot, thanks, I didn’t know these. However sounds like “carpet bombing” the apps :smile:

• @CracklePot 's first comment about clearing memory is especially important because even if you force-quit some apps they don't always quit completely. It's a good idea to do this every time you end a music making session. After awhile it just gets to be a habit, and will reduce weird app and midi glitches significantly.

• Is there away to it on the IPad Pro which has no home button ?

Thanks

Deano

• wimwim
    edited July 2020

@3699CD said:
    Is there away to it on the IPad Pro which has no home button ?

Thanks

Deano

That's trickier. Scroll down a bit in this article to see how to do it when there's no home button:

https://www.iphonelife.com/blog/7032/did-you-know-you-can-refresh-your-idevices-memory-without-rebooting

• Thanks Wim

• The best option may just be to identify the worst offending apps (by looking in Settings => Battery for the ones marked with Background Activity), and make a habit of quitting them manually after use. iFretless Guitar is a big one for me.

• yep. Force-quit is something like remembering to put your zipper up - just has to become a habit.

• BenBen
    edited July 2020

@3699CD. Quickly tap and release one of the volume buttons then the other (doesn’t matter what order.)
    Then hold the power button down until the iPad goes dark and the Apple logo appears. Release the power button and you are rebooted.
    I do this then shut it off everytime before connecting to my audio interface.
    iPad Pro 11.

• @CracklePot said:
    Hold the power button until the Slide to Power Off appears, release it, then hold the Home button until the Passcode screen comes up.
    I think the Passcode screen is new on iOS13. It used to accept Finger ID, but now you have to enter your Passcode.

Anyway, this is supposed to kill all running background stuff, via a soft reboot.

This is a good thing to know. There seem to be a lot of quirks to iOS that it takes a while to pick up on, coming from desktop land.

• @wim said:
    yep. Force-quit is something like remembering to put your zipper up - just has to become a habit.

I’m fucked 🥺

• I found that MidEast Drummer used 80% of my battery over the course of a day and a night after a session. I'd thought I'd done the right quit procedure after using it within AUM. What a pain in the neck to have to force quit anything. Is this a fixable bug in certain apps that we can all identify so we know to do the hard reset after using these apps? E.g. MidEast Drummer and iFretless Guitar have been identified so far. This is the first time I've come across this issue, though probably not the last.

• wimwim
    edited July 2020

@fprintf said:
    I found that MidEast Drummer used 80% of my battery over the course of a day and a night after a session. I'd thought I'd done the right quit procedure after using it within AUM. What a pain in the neck to have to force quit anything. Is this a fixable bug in certain apps that we can all identify so we know to do the hard reset after using these apps? E.g. MidEast Drummer and iFretless Guitar have been identified so far. This is the first time I've come across this issue, though probably not the last.

From what I've read, it's an iOS problem and is unlikely to be fixed since IAA is depreciated. It can happen with any (IAA) app.

• What is force quit?

• wimwim
    edited July 2020

Force-quit is simply forcing an app to close. Double-tap the home button (if you have one) find the app, and swipe-up. I'm not sure how it works for devices without a home button.

• wimwim
    edited July 2020
  • @Philandering_Bastard said:

@wim said:
    yep. Force-quit is something like remembering to put your zipper up - just has to become a habit.

I’m fucked 🥺

Username checks out.

• @wim said:
    Force-quit is simply forcing an app to close. Double-tap the home button (if you have one) find the app, and swipe-up. I'm not sure how it works for devices without a home button.

And as we have learned, force quit doesn't always quit the app entirely especially if you used AUM or AB to "launch" the app, so that it doesn't appear in multi-tasking (the screen that shows when you swipe up).

• wimwim
    edited July 2020

Yep. Suck it up 'n deal with it. That's the iOS way. :D

Doesn't bother me to have to go through a few hoops. I play guitar and have always been used to having to do inconvenient little things like tuning the damn thing. But I can understand how it bothers others.