Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iBassist crashing

I bought this a while ago when it was on sale, but am only getting round to using it now. And find that it is crashing on me like crazy. Anyone else having issues with this (iPad Pro 2018, latest ios). Also, is there not a proper detailed manual for this thing? The 'manual' link on the site leads to a few pages of info, not really detailed by the look of it. Cheers

Comments

• edited July 2020

Yup, @Gavinski and @LuisMartinez if he is listening... it initially worked fine for me, with Soft Drummer but now it completely ignores Soft Drummer, and randomly crashes often enough that I’ve stopped using it. It’s a great shame as I was stunned at the smarts this thing had, and was looking forward to adding a few other drummers...

• Oh man, yeah, I'm so disappointed. I assume you contacted him and got no reply then? @Svetlovska

• iPad pro 2018 11inch
    Works fine for me, the odd crash
    I would also like a manual

• We need to be able to disable that ‘constantly quitting the band’ feature.
    Sure, it adds realism, behaving like a real bassist.
    But it is really inconvenient.
    😉

• I haven’t had it crash once but I only use iBassist in standalone with one of the drum apps, usually Funk Drummer or Reggae drummer.

Are you trying to use it in AUM? My poor Air 2 gets really hot lately when I try to use certain multiple apps together in AUM so I don’t.

• @yowza said:
    I haven’t had it crash once but I only use iBassist in standalone with one of the drum apps, usually Funk Drummer or Reggae drummer.

Are you trying to use it in AUM? My poor Air 2 gets really hot lately when I try to use certain multiple apps together in AUM so I don’t.

Yeah, I get the crashes when hosted.
    Probably IAA related.

• Standalone with funk drummer then midi export for both works best for me, hosting as IAA normally becomes unstable.

@CracklePot to add even more realism you could tap on the drummer icon and it would steal your girlfriend.

• @GrimLucky said:
    Standalone with funk drummer then midi export for both works best for me, hosting as IAA normally becomes unstable.

@CracklePot to add even more realism you could tap on the drummer icon and it would steal your girlfriend.

Ah, we think alike.
    I run it standalone and send midi to iFretless Bass hosted in AUM.

So, that is what happened to her?
    Well, mystery solved!
    😏

• @CracklePot said:

@GrimLucky said:
    Standalone with funk drummer then midi export for both works best for me, hosting as IAA normally becomes unstable.

Ah, we think alike.

Well, mystery solved!
    😏

Yup, not that I’m still bitter ☹️

Sounds good with iFretless or dropping the midi to Reason on desktop, plus you get the chord pads as a separate track.

• edited July 2020

iPad Pro 11 2018, latest OS, no crashes, neither stand alone nor IAA via AUM. The link to the online manual: http://lumbeat.com/iBassist/
    And as usual, Doug has produced some useful tutorials on iBassist.

• @GrimLucky said:

@CracklePot said:

@GrimLucky said:

Ah, we think alike.

Well, mystery solved!
    😏

Yup, not that I’m still bitter ☹️

Sounds good with iFretless or dropping the midi to Reason on desktop, plus you get the chord pads as a separate track.

Oh man, I thought you meant my ex, not yours.
    Sorry about that.
    😕

• My problems are the occasional crash...when used with lumbeat drummers. When loaded in Audiobus 3 is when I really start to have crashes and odd behavior...especially using Cubasis 3 as output. Cubasis 2 usually works, not always, and Auria Pro is a 50/50 thing. Using AudioShare for output works best.

Ibassist Loaded as IAA in the above DAWS, with link turned off almost always hangs.

Forced to use work arounds or unfortunately just don’t use it as much as I would like.

• edited July 2020

That's really not acceptable if this has been going on for a while. I've messaged the dev on Facebook, would encourage others to do the same (seems there is no email?)

@Polyphonix thnx, I'll look again at that, I did see this before, but it seemed thin on detail.

• Surprised I didn't see more people commenting on this unreliability when this app was being raved about in the sales thread. It's a real pity because it does sound great.

• Not sure where any issue might lie but IAA has been deprecated by Apple so I don’t think devs should be compelled to keep up with that even though Lumbeat apps are not AUv3 yet. I love the Lumbeat apps but I use them for what they are and don’t expect more out of them. My attitude about iOS music has changed quite a bit since I started coming here in 2012. While I still use iOS for sketches and ideas, any good bits are moved over to the desktop ASAP where I don’t have to deal with endless annoyances and workarounds.

• @Gavinski said:
    Surprised I didn't see more people commenting on this unreliability when this app was being raved about in the sales thread. It's a real pity because it does sound great.

It’s IAA, so I never expect smooth sailing.
    When IAA apps have no weird problems, I am pleasantly surprised and thankful.

I just found a way to get the most out of it (which is quite a lot) without relying on flaky IAA support after it bombed out on me a couple of times. I feel like I am getting my full use out of it, despite the lameness of IAA.

The extensive Midi output, and the connecting to the Drummer apps, is what makes this app so great, for me. The Bass sounds themselves are ok, but I don’t really miss them.
    If I really have to have those internal Bass sounds, I have a second device to run it standalone, connected with Link, and can record the output on my iPad. But I rarely go through that much hassle.

But yes, a heads-up from the forum would have been nice.

• Really do hope he starts making them auv3

• The application crashes on the latest Apple firmware. When you try to enter the midi settings, it always fails.

• I emailed Luis earlier. He says they are planning to make them AU, no idea how long we’ll have to wait though. But I do encourage anyone having issues to contact him.

• @waterdrop said:
    The application crashes on the latest Apple firmware. When you try to enter the midi settings, it always fails.

What do you mean firmware?
    The latest iOS?

If no, where do I update the firmware, or see what version I am running?

• edited July 2020

IOS 13.5.1, iPad mini 5 always crash, when tap on midi setting button

IOS 13.4.1 iPad Pro 1st gen works well.

• iPad Air 2, 13.5.1: no crashes when tapping the midi setting button.

• @yowza said:
    Not sure where any issue might lie but IAA has been deprecated by Apple so I don’t think devs should be compelled to keep up with that even though Lumbeat apps are not AUv3 yet. I love the Lumbeat apps but I use them for what they are and don’t expect more out of them. My attitude about iOS music has changed quite a bit since I started coming here in 2012. While I still use iOS for sketches and ideas, any good bits are moved over to the desktop ASAP where I don’t have to deal with endless annoyances and workarounds.

Deprecated may not mean what you think. It is still a supported technology and isn’t going away anytime soon, Many IAA apps are highly reliable. As long as the apps are IAA and devs are charging money for them, it makes sense for them to fix bugs in their apps.

• @espiegel123 said:
    As long as the apps are IAA and devs are charging money for them, it makes sense for them to fix bugs in their apps.

Yep. As long as the app is in the app store I feel that it makes sense to fix the bugs. The difficulty becomes in monetizing for the work necessary to move to AUV3. New version? IAP?

I'd prefer an IAP if it must. I spent good money on iBassist recently, so am not really in the mood to spend more money on it but certainly can understand the need to collect from all the folks that bought it when it first came out and haven't donated on the collection plate anytime lately.

• So far, I believe Luis has hasn't charged a cent for the AUv3 upgrades, and in fact has offered huge 24-hour half-off the regular price deals when the updated apps are released.

The Lumbeat apps are pretty pricey compared to most other apps here, but are greatly loved by masses of folk here on the forum.

• I feel that the price of these apps is high enough that they can be updated to auv3 without an additional charge. With apps of this quality, there will be a constant stream of new buyers, as they are surely seen as being among the 'must-have' apps for iOS.

• @SNystrom said:
    So far, I believe Luis has hasn't charged a cent for the AUv3 upgrades, and in fact has offered huge 24-hour half-off the regular price deals when the updated apps are released.

The Lumbeat apps are pretty pricey compared to most other apps here, but are greatly loved by masses of folk here on the forum.

There haven’t been any AUv3 upgrades of LUMBeat apps. They are all standalone (IAA).

• Oh crap, you’re right!

What have been the big updates been for, @espiegel123?

As much as I wanted to, I never purchased any Lumbeat products until the 24-hour sales...

• @SNystrom said:
    Oh crap, you’re right!

What have been the big updates been for, @espiegel123?

As much as I wanted to, I never purchased any Lumbeat products until the 24-hour sales...

They added some nice new features. You'll be able to find discussions of them by searching the forum archives.