Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

drambo audio to midi tricks

i can’t remember, but isn’t there a way to setup drambo to convert audio coming in to midi out. similar to impaktor ?

Comments

• i’d like to be able to tap
    my table and have it trigger a kick
    and tap a spoon and ha e it trigger a snare.
    that kind of thing

• there’s an impaktor demo patch you can find in the preset menu!

• edited July 2020

Try using the Transient Detector to convert your audio hits to Gate Triggers. Use the Gate Tiggers to trigger the drums.

To react to different Audio hits (table vs. spoon), I would try using a separate Bandpass filter to isolate the frequency range of each different hit sound. Put a BP filter between the Audio Input and each Transient Detector, and create a signal path branch for each different Audio hit sound you want to isolate.

• @CracklePot said:
    Try using the Transient Detector to convert your audio hits to Gate Triggers. Use the Gate Tiggers to trigger the drums.

To react to different Audio hits (table vs. spoon), I would try using a separate Bandpass filter to isolate the frequency range of each different hit sound. Put a BP filter between the Audio Input and each Transient Detector, and create a signal path branch for each different Audio hit sound you want to isolate.

Reading this has given me an idea for isolating
    frequencies when using mics for live performance.

Thanks.

• @Gravitas said:

@CracklePot said:

Thanks.

👍🏻

• Is there a way to create a pitch delay in Drambo? I cant figure it out. Thanks

• @Montreal_Music said:
    Is there a way to create a pitch delay in Drambo? I cant figure it out. Thanks

What exactly do you have in mind? There are 1000 combinations possible...

• @CracklePot said:

oh yeah, i
    forgot about the transient detector. thanks

• edited July 2020

@eross said:
    i’d like to be able to tap
    that kind of thing

This will translate microphone input to MIDI notes including velocity.
    You can add more of these and try the "Peak EQ" with extremely high gain settings to isolate different hit sounds. If you have more than one trig detector, use the MIDI Mixer module to mix the MIDI signals before sending them to MIDI Out.

The offset value entered is actually 0.005, you just don't see it because the display is cut off after 2 decimals.

• oh very cool
    thanks. i’m gonna test it out right away

• @rs2000 said:

@Montreal_Music said:

I play a note (let’s say a C) and 200 ms later, the delay play a G.

• @Montreal_Music said:

@rs2000 said:

@Montreal_Music said:

Voilà:

• @rs2000 said:

@Montreal_Music said:

@rs2000 said:

@Montreal_Music said:

Voilà:

Une raison de plus d’aimer Drambo. Merci mon ami.

• @rs2000 said:

@eross said:
    i’d like to be able to tap
    that kind of thing

This will translate microphone input to MIDI notes including velocity.
    You can add more of these and try the "Peak EQ" with extremely high gain settings to isolate different hit sounds. If you have more than one trig detector, use the MIDI Mixer module to mix the MIDI signals before sending them to MIDI Out.

The offset value entered is actually 0.005, you just don't see it because the display is cut off after 2 decimals.

do you have a preset of this you can share? i’m missing something. i have it setup the same way but now midi out

• edited July 2020

This is what I bought drambo for in the first place, impaktor on steroids. It can replace impaktor with ease, just have a transient detector generating pulses and feed those to the resonators. I'd like to go beyond that, and do something like @rs2000 neat trick, something like table drumming-->MIDI-->kick/snare/hat, but the most difficult part is separating the sounds into bands, takes a lot of fine tuning to separate the bands given the input sound. Here's a first attempt I uploaded to patchstorage, and I'm kind of ashamed to even share, given the quality of some of you guys works... I'm clearly only at finger-painting level, but anyway: https://patchstorage.com/trying-out-sound-separation/

• Btw @rs2000, just went to patchstorage again since that one time, and I totally missed your comment on improving it. Thanks a lot and I'll be sure to try it. You're such a talented and nice helpful fellow! All the best

• @pedro said:
    Btw @rs2000, just went to patchstorage again since that one time, and I totally missed your comment on improving it. Thanks a lot and I'll be sure to try it. You're such a talented and nice helpful fellow! All the best

Thank you, same to you 😊
    BTW, my previous project on patchstorage tries to detect incoming pitch and send an according MIDI note while this one always sends the same note with different velocities.
    Should be more robust too.
    Here's my patch shown above, also for @eross:
    https://patchstorage.com/simple-trigger-to-midi/

• @rs2000 said:

@pedro said:
    Btw @rs2000, just went to patchstorage again since that one time, and I totally missed your comment on improving it. Thanks a lot and I'll be sure to try it. You're such a talented and nice helpful fellow! All the best

Thank you, same to you 😊
    BTW, my previous project on patchstorage tries to detect incoming pitch and send an according MIDI note while this one always sends the same note with different velocities.
    Should be more robust too.
    Here's my patch shown above, also for @eross:
    https://patchstorage.com/simple-trigger-to-midi/

Thanks, you surely gave me food for thought, I'm currently really pressed for work, but in two weeks I'll be on vacations (aleluia), and those are very welcome projects to work out at the beach!

• edited July 2020

@Gravitas said:

@CracklePot said:

I have this project burning in the back of my mind, to build some sort of table with three different isolated sections, each with a separate piezo mic, so my right thumb plays kick, right fingers play snare, and left hand playing hats and trills

• @pedro said:

@Gravitas said:

@CracklePot said:

I have this project burning in the back of my mind, to build some sort of table with three different isolated sections, each with a separate piezo mic, so my right thumb plays kick, right fingers play snare, a left hand playing hats and trills

I hear you.

Good idea.

I have two Tandy PZM's permanently setup in
    my music room alongside two LDC mics for
    off the cuff vocals, acoustic guitar and percussion.
    Sometimes I would like to record without headphones on.

Also good practice for live situations and live looping.

Have a look at this project for diy mics.

http://recordinghacks.com/articles/how-to-build-a-microphone/

• @pedro said:

@Gravitas said:

@CracklePot said:

I have this project burning in the back of my mind, to build some sort of table with three different isolated sections, each with a separate piezo mic, so my right thumb plays kick, right fingers play snare, and left hand playing hats and trills

that is exactly what i want to do.

• @Gravitas that diy mic would surely be a fun project, and what an interesting read, but I'm sure I'll be buying cheap piezo mics that you can get for a dime a piece (well, maybe a few dimes)

• @eross said:

@pedro said:

that is exactly what i want to do.

Doesn't seem so hard, I just haven't had the time. That or you can buy a wavedrum :) if your're filthy rich

• edited July 2020

@pedro, @Gravitas, @eross
    You can mix all piezo pickups into one signal if you add a tiny resonator circuit to each piezo disc. I haven't tried it yet but since the piezos act as capacitors, connecting a different value inductor to each would form a (sinewave) resonator that is much easier to detect in Drambo using the Peak EQ module if each resonator is tuned to a different frequency.
    Advantages: Better isolation of the individual sounds and only one audio input channel required, you could even use just the microphone input of your iDevice.

Another idea is to build mechanical resonators and use the microphone directly.
    Take a wooden box or a leftover plastic box, cut out four tongues with different frequency and do the processing in Drambo 😃

• edited July 2020

Those are great ideas, now I'll really have to build it and patent the design :) I'm gonna be rich.
    But exactly, @rs2000, the part about mixing the three signals is what's still iluding me, at least I'd have three separate signals that I could place into three very clear separate bands, so it would be easy to then separate in drambo (I could maybe generate a bleep of three clear distinct tones so it would be clear to identify each when I feed it into drambo). I'm guessing there's some soldering involved, though, something I'm not really good at...

• edited July 2020

@rs2000

Take a wooden box or a leftover plastic box, cut out four tongues with different frequency and do the processing in Drambo 😃

But then you lose the separation. Sure, it is musical, case in point: impaktor, but not workable for converting to midi

Edit: what I mean when losing the separation, is that there will be frequency overlaping, so you wouldn't be able to play the "hats" and "kicks" without it also triggering some of the "snares". My patch bothers me because of that, it sounds nice, but there are hits that trigger both instruments, when I'd like to be just one. Maybe I'm OCD

• @pedro said:
    @Gravitas that diy mic would surely be a fun project, and what an interesting read, but I'm sure I'll be buying cheap piezo mics that you can get for a dime a piece (well, maybe a few dimes)

The price range is actually very similar.
    The microphone capsules are around £5,
    the whole project could be built for around £20
    or thereabouts as there's no preamp.

They are awesome for live recording.
    The capsules are the same or very similar quality
    to much more expensive brand name mics.

Perfect for recording drum kits.

The frequency response is pretty okay that's why I still have my PZM's.> @rs2000 said:

@pedro, @Gravitas, @eross
    You can mix all piezo pickups into one signal if you add a tiny resonator circuit to each piezo disc. I haven't tried it yet but since the piezos act as capacitors, connecting a different value inductor to each would form a (sinewave) resonator that is much easier to detect in Drambo using the Peak EQ module if each resonator is tuned to a different frequency.
    Advantages: Better isolation of the individual sounds and only one audio input channel required, you could even use just the microphone input of your iDevice.

Thats a really good idea.
    I like this. 😀

• This is my fave thread of the week! I'm getting all hyped up

• edited July 2020

@Gravitas said:

Wouldn't this do the trick? 5 min away from where I stand and 3€: https://www.ledistronica.pt/besouro-15-15v-dc-12v-redondo-piezo-sv3

• @pedro said:

@Gravitas said:

Wouldn't this do the trick? 5 min away from where I stand and 3€: https://www.ledistronica.pt/besouro-15-15v-dc-12v-redondo-piezo-sv3

It should do.
    It fits the description.

Go for it.

Do you have jack plugs?

I have to wait for a delivery service before
    I can get mine and I'm in the heart of London.
    It's so annoying.