Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OT: Jóhann Jóhannsson's Last and First Men

Those in the UK who would want to know this will want to know that the late Jóhann Jóhannsson's film of his orchestral adaptation of Olaf Stapledon's Last and First Men is streaming for a tenner via Curzon as part of the Edinburgh Film Festival. It's only available till midnight tonight (Sunday), though with luck you'll get the regular 48-hour Curzon rental period. You need to rent it via a Curzon account on the website and then you can stream to the Curzon iOS app, which in turn can stream to your TV over a Google dongly thing if desired. (It won't work with a dock connector.)

This film will either be the greatest thing you've ever seen or a pile of utter horse's cobblers, but I'm two viewings in and firmly in the former camp. It's seventy minutes of Tilda Swinton narrating a kind of Blinkist reduction of the novel over the Deutsche Gramophon recording to mostly-monochrome footage of concrete follies from Tito's Yugoslavia with occasional shots of an oscilloscope in Berlin as Neptune. My daughter described it as a cross between Arrival and The Lighthouse, which was pretty spot-on given she had no idea Jóhannsson scored Arrival. Hildur Gu∂nadóttir's cello is strongly featured. It's best on headphones. "Great are the stars and humankind is of no account to them." Listen patiently.

Comments

• Love the book

• @SheffieldBleep said:
    Love the book

Me too! Sent me straight back to it. This is the only way you could ever film it, and it actually does do it a weird kind of justice. It really brings the music to life to have Stapledon's text back in.