Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Enso Looper, Mode Quantization questions

I need some help understanding how mode quantization works in Enso. I've read the manual (one paragraph) and watched the official video and did lots of trial and error. It doesn't seem to do much.

The manual says it affects the timing of mode changes. All I can see it does is quantizes the start and start times of the initial recording. It has no effect on switching, say, from play to overdub. I tried with extreme settings -- 10 measures.

Also, what's the field labeled "mode quantize" do? I get that "Length mult" time "Length unit" sets the quantize amount (4 x 1/4 = one 4 beat measure, for example; 2 x measure = two measures). Mode Quantize seems redundant. There's something I'm not getting here.

Both Length Unit and Mode Quantize can be set to Free, which adds to the mystery. Why both?

I really want to get Enso to work. It has unique features, but some strange quirks that require work-arounds. I see the humongous Enso thread here, but can't wade through 29 pages. It's good to know that so many of you are excited by it.

Steve

The mode control area:

full Mode Quantization text in the manual:

Mode Quantization
By default, Enso responds to its mode buttons as soon as you click them. For more precise timing you can synchronize the mode changes to metrical intervals. The MODE QUANTIZE popup menu sets the intervals at which Enso will change modes. If you set MODE QUANTIZE to 1/4, for example, then click the RECORD button, Enso will wait until your host DAW reaches the next quarter-note position, and then begin recording. If you then click the STOP button, Enso will cease recording when the host reaches the following quarter-note position. A grey ring appears around a mode button after you click it while Enso waits to switch modes.

Comments

• The length and multiplier only applies to the first recording when the buffer is empty. This is in the manual. The mode quantize also only applies to the first recording (when using the trigger button). That might not be in the manual, but it is mentioned in the 40 minute full walkthrough video they have on their site.

With mode quantize and length set to Measure, you are guaranteed to get a perfect initial loop.

• edited July 2020

@bleep said:
    The mode quantize also only applies to the first recording (when using the trigger button).

Exactly my question -- how is it different? Only if I use the trigger button instead of the record button? I'm not seeing the logic of this.

I studied the manual and watched this section of the video just today (for the second time).

Thanks,

Steve

• edited July 2020

Well, it quantizes the start. So if you have a sequence going in your host and you want to capture it as a perfect loop, you set mode quantize to measure and hit Trigger whenever, instead of having to time it to the next beginning, which will never be perfect.

And perhaps you just want to have the start perfectly aligned, but be more open about how much to record, so you may have length set to free.

• With all this in mind I'll go back to experimenting until I get it. I'm usually not syncing to a sequencer, so all this attention to timing detail is not real familiar. Most of my music is free, no bar lines. Enso is great for that. Many other loopers force the bar lines and measure multiples.

Thanks,
    Steve