Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AUM MIDI routing for IAA apps

Hi there,

I experience a strange behavior with iFretless Guitar (IAA only) which makes me wonder if I really got a right understanding of MIDI routing in AUM, when IAA apps are in the game … it’s clear with AUv3 – never had a problem in their usage.

That I take the following MIDI routes is just for bug hunting – it started with a Mozaic script that did not work and this way its more obvious.

There are 2 routing scenarios:

• (1st route) Xequence 2 routes directly into “ifretlessguitar”, the virtual MIDI port created by iFretless Guitar
  • (2nd route) Xequence 2 routes to “AUM destination”, the virtual MIDI Port created by AUM, which then routes the MIDI into iFretless Guitar, which runs in an Audio-Lane as an IAA app

Xequence 1st route

Xequence 2nd route

If I send MIDI Data, a simple C3 note-on and a CC64 (sustain pedal) with 127 (for sustain “on”) and sometime after the note-off a CC64 with 0 (for sustain “off”), I hear the note playing in both routing scenarios, but the sustain pedal CC64 values takes only effect, using the “1st route”, which means its routed directly into the virtual MIDI port that iFretless Guitar created itself.

Beside thinking that this is a bug in iFretless Guitar, it would be great to know how AUM MIDI routing works in case of IAA apps – to be specific : to which “kind of MIDI IN” does AUM route the MIDI Data if you pick whatever source as an input (in my screenshot its AUM destinations, which is feed by Xequence 2 – but it could be also Atom Piano-Roll e.g.).

I thought that an IAA app has some “general purpose MIDI IN”, like the front door of a house, to which any other app running in the IAA ecosystem / context can feed its data into.

Especially because not all IAA apps create a virtual MIDI IN port – which iFretless Guitar does, but it behaves different than the “general purpose one” that AUM seems to use.

Any kind of disentanglement would be great 😉 ... from the developers ? @Blue_Mangoo itself perhaps - very much appreciated 😉.

Comments

• @sounda said:
    Hi there,

I experience a strange behavior with iFretless Guitar (IAA only) which makes me wonder if I really got a right understanding of MIDI routing in AUM, when IAA apps are in the game … it’s clear with AUv3 – never had a problem in their usage.

That I take the following MIDI routes is just for bug hunting – it started with a Mozaic script that did not work and this way its more obvious.

• (1st route) Xequence 2 routes directly into “ifretlessguitar”, the virtual MIDI port created by iFretless Guitar
    • (2nd route) Xequence 2 routes to “AUM destination”, the virtual MIDI Port created by AUM, which then routes the MIDI into iFretless Guitar, which runs in an Audio-Lane as an IAA app

Xequence 1st route

Xequence 2nd route

If I send MIDI Data, a simple C3 note-on and a CC64 (sustain pedal) with 127 (for sustain “on”) and sometime after the note-off a CC64 with 0 (for sustain “off”), I hear the note playing in both routing scenarios, but the sustain pedal CC64 values takes only effect, using the “1st route”, which means its routed directly into the virtual MIDI port that iFretless Guitar created itself.

Beside thinking that this is a bug in iFretless Guitar, it would be great to know how AUM MIDI routing works in case of IAA apps – to be specific : to which “kind of MIDI IN” does AUM route the MIDI Data if you pick whatever source as an input (in my screenshot its AUM destinations, which is feed by Xequence 2 – but it could be also Atom Piano-Roll e.g.).

I thought that an IAA app has some “general purpose MIDI IN”, like the front door of a house, to which any other app running in the IAA ecosystem / context can feed its data into.

Especially because not all IAA apps create a virtual MIDI IN port – which iFretless Guitar does, but it behaves different than the “general purpose one” that AUM seems to use.

Any kind of disentanglement would be great 😉 ... from the developers ? @Blue_Mangoo itself perhaps - very much appreciated 😉.

I think it’s time to update this app for AU3 support. We were waiting until we developed a better overdrive effect, because the one it currently has isn’t good. But that is taking much longer than expected. We will probably go ahead and update without an overdrive effect

• @Blue_Mangoo
    That are great news! … having a nice overdrive effect inside iFretless Guitar AUv3 is great, yes – but it’s more important to have fully playable & MIDI controllable iFretless Guitar in all audio hosting scenarios, especially AUv3.

There are a lot overdrives effects out there, but only 1 iFretless Guitar … that needs a transformation 😉 ... so as long as iFretless Guitar is “overdrive less” we can pick up & use other overdrive plugins in the FX chain of the AUv3 host.

Another feature that you have already implemented in iFretless Bass AUv3 (got it & like it) and that would enhance the playability & musical “range of use” of iFretless Guitar significantly, is MIDI CC controllable volume … so we got a volume pedal at our disposal, which is essential e.g. for ambient kind of music.

As you have implemented 2 AUv3 effect plugins (Attack Softener and Velocity Filter) that address partially what a “volume pedal” can do (solving a lack of hardware / features in real instrument scenarios or other apps) … you may agree with me, how great a full fledge MIDI CC controllable “volume pedal” inside iFretless Guitar would be 😉.

+++

@Blue_Mangoo Just to get an understanding that might help me & others who read this, in similar situations (because there are a lot IAA apps out there that might never be ported to AUv3):

is there a “feature wise” difference between a virtual MIDI port that an app creates by itself (as iFrettless Guitar does, named ifretlessguitar) and that “MIDI front door” that an IAA app got, when its hosted in an AUv3 host like AUM – is this “MIDI front door” a somehow specialized coreMIDI pipe that only connects the AUv3 host to the client (in 1 particular host lane), but has some limitations?

It would be very helpful to know a little bit of the technical background (that only app developers got), to get a better understanding of MIDI issues and to come up with workarounds (e.g. by an alternative MIDI routing that in the end feeds into the virtual MIDI port an app has created for itself to integrate into the coreMIDI system, or by using other helper apps like midiflow or midimux e.g.) – thanks in advance.

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

@sounda said:
    Hi there,

Xequence 1st route

Xequence 2nd route

I think it’s time to update this app for AU3 support. We were waiting until we developed a better overdrive effect, because the one it currently has isn’t good. But that is taking much longer than expected. We will probably go ahead and update without an overdrive effect

Wow that is a very good news.