Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Song Of The Month Club - July 2020

2»

Comments

• edited July 2020

Haven’t posted much here. Figured I’ll drop something.
    Made this over the weekend.
    Cubasis 3, Zeeon, OPL, Ruismaker, numerous effects.

• Strange spaghetti western piece.

I posted this in wrong spot earlier, my bad.
    I don’t see a lot of discussion about notion iOS. I arrange most of my music with it and export the midi to auria. Any way hope you guys dig it.

• @Jmd8928 I like very much the first part and beautiful guitars all along. I don’t feel a western spaghetti film at all (I have Ennio Morricone in my head for that) but more a progressive skillfull rock.

• @Jmd8928 said:
    Strange spaghetti western piece.

I don’t see a lot of discussion about notion iOS. I arrange most of my music with it and export the midi to auria. Any way hope you guys dig it.

That was epic!! Excellent composition throughout. Nice use of dynamics, mix was awesome. Melody lines were wonderful. Stunning production. Huge!!

• @Jmd8928 said:

The guitars and melody lines are great! I feel that the choirs are either a bit to far back in the mix, mimic the melody line too exactly. Try inverting the chord for them or moving them up an octave. Great stuff compositionally. You have my admiration.

• @Weareroses said:

Hearing a southern accent vocoded in a “dance song” was something I wasn’t expecting.

The track was great. The vocals felt like they might need some fix timing wise as they felt behind at least the energy of the rest of the track. If you sang more staccato than legato on the first few lyrics that might help. Also consider some reverb to add some more air to the vocals, or go over the top and give them some real space on the ending of the phrase to have it ring out more.

• @audiblevideo said:

@Weareroses said:

Hearing a southern accent vocoded in a “dance song” was something I wasn’t expecting.

The track was great. The vocals felt like they might need some fix timing wise as they felt behind at least the energy of the rest of the track. If you sang more staccato than legato on the first few lyrics that might help. Also consider some reverb to add some more air to the vocals, or go over the top and give them some real space on the ending of the phrase to have it ring out more.

Thanks for listening and thanks for the suggestions. First time putting vocals to this genre, I just make everything and always have haha. I spent only about 45 minutes on this track before I posted it, I’ve since went back and done some fixing. Imma go back again and use some of what you said as well. Thanks again.

• @audiblevideo said:

@Jmd8928 said:

The guitars and melody lines are great! I feel that the choirs are either a bit to far back in the mix, mimic the melody line too exactly. Try inverting the chord for them or moving them up an octave. Great stuff compositionally. You have my admiration.

Thank you for the suggestions. I was lost with how to arrange choirs. I’m such a metal head, this was definitely a different type of song for me to try and write.

How would I invert a chord? I know a bit of music theory, but most of it is just guitar based things.

Thank you

• @DavidEnglish said:
    Here’s another attempt to pull something interesting out of Launchpad.

I assume that if I mess around with it enough times, I’ll eventually produce something good. Similar to an infinite number of monkeys at their typewriters eventually typing out the full text of Hamlet.

This has almost a Talking Heads Vibe... Love it

• Hope am OK putting this here. Made with an Impro in Jammpro.

• edited July 2020

@Jmd8928 said:

@audiblevideo said:

@Jmd8928 said:

Thank you for the suggestions. I was lost with how to arrange choirs. I’m such a metal head, this was definitely a different type of song for me to try and write.

How would I invert a chord? I know a bit of music theory, but most of it is just guitar based things.

Thank you

Inverting a chord is to take the regular voicing of the chord and move the lowest note in the chord up to its next appearance.

Ex: C6 (CEGA) which is a triad (CEG) with an extra note of A becomes

E + G + A + C <— first inversion
    GACE 2nd inversion
    ACEG 3rd inversion

"fourth inversion" (no such thing in this case) brings you to CEGA just an octave higher

• Thanks for the example. I will definitely use this.

• @Jmd8928 said:
    Thanks for the example. I will definitely use this.

No worries. Please, don't get the impression than I know more than this meager amount ;)

This would an application of why you would invert a chord:

https://www.musicradar.com/how-to/how-using-chord-inversions-and-different-voicings-can-make-your-music-sound-better

• @Toastedghost said:
    Hope am OK putting this here. Made with an Impro in Jammpro.

Very original and funny!

• @Weareroses said:

I particularly like the bass, and the arrangement is great. Fun track.

• @Jmd8928 said:

Great use of dynamics, and the arrangement really creates a lot of excitement. The mood of the piece fits the title and the genre perfectly.

• @Toastedghost said:

Nice satirical track, with a suitably choppy and angular treatment of the sampled material.

• @richardyot said:

@Toastedghost said:

Nice satirical track, with a suitably choppy and angular treatment of the sampled material.

Agreed. I really like this minimalist style. Very well done. Catchy as well!

• @richardyot
    Nice opening with a lively instrumentation. Good to hear the voice come out more strongly on this one, right out of the gate. The lyrics are really good, too.

@Kitusai
    The music and animation are an excellent match. Each enhances the other. I like the contrast between the flat graphics and wide-stereo separation of the musical mix. The wide separation refocuses your attention on the center, which in this case enhances the visuals. The song is an unexpected pleasure that's both meditative and exploratory.

@DukeWonder
    Very nice moody opening. I especially like that the atmosphere and instrumentation are subtle rather than being over the top. Slow-motion ambient hip-hop?

@Polar
    Great use of archival spoken word clips. The spoken words mix well with the music, as opposed to pulling in different directions.

@jwmmakerofmusic
    A very cool toe-tapping tune. The instrumentation and overall sound keep everything moving and interesting. I also like the change-up near the end that significantly raises the energy level.

@spyrogaia
    Good mix of chill-out music and electronic sounds. It builds nicely from an atmospheric beginning to mutate into a more melodic tune. I especially like the concept of the machines watching a sunset for the first time. The music does a good job of fulfilling the expectations of its evocative title. The ending works well, too.

@Jmd8928
    A strong opening with a low-key jam. It builds up the energy and keeps the song moving by shifting the music genres. An epic song that succeeds in its grand ambitions.

@Toastedghost
    Excellent evolution of spoken words. That evolution parallels the disjointed advice that lies behind those words. It also has a satisfying rhythmic integration of the words with the music beats.

• @DavidEnglish thanks for the feedback!

• @richardyot said:
    My entry for the month, lyrics in the spoiler:

So here we are, at a dead end
    Too much to lose so we pretend
    And all those times we used to share
    Just hanging out without a care
    They’re gone, They’re gone away
    You and I have lost our way

And where it’s from, I just don’t know
    But here we are, so let it go
    It’s you it’s me, there's nothing left to feel
    It’s you it’s me, but we can’t face it honestly

And with our lives so tangled up
    It's just so hard to make the cut
    So here we stay, until the end
    Neither lover nor a friend
    It’s gone, we're gone away

As far as energy goes, this song is definitely one of your punchiest in recent memory.
    The upbeat style of the song (regardless of the lyrics), were really carried well by the guitars and the vocals.

Very subjectively I found the drums too understated, or soft.

I still loved it.

• @audiblevideo said:

@richardyot said:

As far as energy goes, this song is definitely one of your punchiest in recent memory.
    The upbeat style of the song (regardless of the lyrics), were really carried well by the guitars and the vocals.

I still loved it.

Thanks for the feedback. On point about the drums being soft, they're from Soft Drummer 😉 (maybe not the best choice for an upbeat song).

• @richardyot said:

@audiblevideo said:

@richardyot said:

I still loved it.

Thanks for the feedback. On point about the drums being soft, they're from Soft Drummer 😉 (maybe not the best choice for an upbeat song).

Hmmm. Maybe you could punch them up a little using Nembrini’s PSA1000 or similar. That’s way you can keep the groove but dial in more oomph.

• @audiblevideo said:

@richardyot said:

@audiblevideo said:

@richardyot said:

I still loved it.

Hmmm. Maybe you could punch them up a little using Nembrini’s PSA1000 or similar. That’s way you can keep the groove but dial in more oomph.

I might try that, or try Saturn as well, it's pretty nice on drums. Thanks for the advice 👍