Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Ice Works App Recommendations

I’ve been in love with Lagrange since it came out. I just got Kronecker and love it. So what other synths of theirs are as unique and flexible as these two?

Also shoutout to @richardyot for his Lagrange presets. Fantastic stuff.

Comments

• wimwim
    edited July 2020

I feel like if you have Kronecker you don't really need Mersenne so much. Lorentz isn't as much different from classic synths as other IceGear synths are. So, that leaves RedShrike. You can get some really nice squelchy, howley, tortured, yet very musical sounds out of it. It's my favorite and to me the most useful of the IceGear stuff.

• Just get the rest: Mersenne, Laplace, Redshrike, Lorentz. Each one is unique and inspiring, if you search the threads here you’ll find banks for almost all of them, crafted by forum comrades, as you found with LaGrange. Some might argue that all you need is Ice Gear/Ice Works (both names appear on these). They cover quite a lot of ground

• Lagrange (and pick up @richardyot presets)
    Kronecker (and pick up @Spidericemidas presets)

• @craftycurate said:
    Lagrange (and pick up @richardyot presets)

I think someone didn’t read the post.

• edited July 2020

@DukeWonder said:

@craftycurate said:

I think someone could have just overlooked my obvious misreading but has chosen to waste time leaving a sarcastic response instead.

• I echo the ‘get them all’. Each is magical in its own right. Laplace is has these singing highs that I love. The way the resonator and the delay interact in Lorentz can give you organic feedback sounds that are unique. Mersenne is the one I use the least, but I sure as hell wouldn’t give it up.

• @craftycurate said:

@DukeWonder said:

@craftycurate said:

I think someone could have just overlooked my obvious misreading but has chosen to waste time leaving a sarcastic response instead.

Yeah, that’s the internet for you pretty much unfortunately

• edited July 2020

@DukeWonder is correct to call out the post that skipped the OP’s before replying. That he’s the one getting dumped on is rubbish.

The entire internet is wasting time, it is only proper to read the OP before responding. Especially when it’s two freakin lines. Blatantly providing the recommendation of THE two apps OP wished us to exclude is ridiculous; one of two could’ve been forgiven. Two of two? Have some respect.

-Impartial Mediator out

• edited July 2020

Also, I don’t like any of them enough to recommend to anyone to buy. But I will say definitely don’t get Mersenne, it’s the worst. Lorentz is the most conventional, but that just stacks it up against other synths that do what it does better (though I do appreciate the devs’ usual one page synth design). Laplace was my first and I vote that because it gets good Kate Bush sounds; you can get some good tings and plucks out of it. Just ignore the factory presets though.

• I'm with @wim on this one... RedShrike is the shiznak!

If you have a time machine, Cassini, Xenon and Argon too :lol:

• @oat_phipps said:
    @DukeWonder is correct to call out the post that skipped the OP’s before replying. That he’s the one getting dumped on is rubbish.

The entire internet is wasting time, it is only proper to read the OP before responding. Especially when it’s two freakin lines. Blatantly providing the recommendation of THE two apps OP wished us to exclude is ridiculous; one of two could’ve been forgiven. Two of two? Have some respect.

-Impartial Mediator out

Oh relaaaaax. We've all got a lot going on right now. I read too quicky, replied too quickly. That's it really. No more from me on this.

• edited July 2020

@craftycurate Ok, you make a good point.

• Yeah sounds like I probably have all I need from them. But RedShrike is now on my short list of synths to buy when I’m bored.

• Also lol at getting mad at me for calling someone out for contributing to a conversation that they hadn’t read.

• Cassini has always been my favorite .. Among the 5 IAA only synths I still use.

• @Eschatone said:
    Cassini has always been my favorite .. Among the 5 IAA only synths I still use.

It’s a classic. Is it still on the AppStore?

• I remember ppl mentioning a few months ago that it had been removed

• All of the Ice Works Synths are great. They all have their own special sound. Recommended.

• Lorentz is one of my favourite iOS synths. Its good for sounds that are on the verge of breaking into distortion with nice saturation. The resonator section is what make it different to other analogue synth emulations.

I like to start with a fairly analoguey sound then modulate the resonator controls. You can get some dirty detuned overtones. The drive controls on the LPF add nice grit too.

The presets don’t really do it justice.

• @Gavinski said:
    I remember ppl mentioning a few months ago that it had been removed

Someone suggested a while back that Lagrange might be the natural successor to Cassini ...

• In general the Iceworks presets seem a bit lacking. They really should get someone to do guest packs for them prior to release.

• @Gavinski said:
    In general the Iceworks presets seem a bit lacking. They really should get someone to do guest packs for them prior to release.

Yup - I think I had mothballed Kronecker until @Spidericemidas produced his wonderful preset pack which demonstrated what the synth was capable of in a way that I felt the factory presets didn't do so well.

• @Littlewoodg said:

@Eschatone said:

sorry, wasn’t aware that it was pulled from the store when I posted that.
    Shame..I hope they bring it back as AUV3 - it’s one of my favorite iOS synths for lo-fi sounds

• @Eschatone said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@Eschatone said:

sorry, wasn’t aware that it was pulled from the store when I posted that.
    Shame..I hope they bring it back as AUV3 - it’s one of my favorite iOS synths for lo-fi sounds

So very deep, page after page of parameters to play with

• @craftycurate said:

@Gavinski said:
    I remember ppl mentioning a few months ago that it had been removed

Someone suggested a while back that Lagrange might be the natural successor to Cassini ...

I recall reading that, also somewhere else (YouTube maybe?) I recall a comment that Lagrange was an amalgamation of a number of older synths that would probably be discontinued. I’m grateful for the presets from @richardyot, the standard presets are pretty bland.

It took a fair amount of research on my part trying to figure out whether to buy Kronecker or Mersenne, I was pretty sure I didn’t need both.

Really looking forward to future apps though, I’ve gained an appreciation for FM that I was really struggling with before.

• After Lagrange my go-to is Mersenne, then Kronecker. But since Lagrange came out i really only use Lagrange.