Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Let's discuss Music Visualisation

I like to create something half interesting to look at when I upload to youtube.

There are a few options out there I find so complicated I can't get anywhere with them.

I don't have the time/equipment to put together something with great video footage.

I've made some with apps and FLStudio the just generate a swirly spinny trippy colour thing. They don't excite me much but sometimes I just want to upload something.

Recently I got onto some Glitch Video apps. The cost on an iPad is an issue so I bought a few for my android phone. Will embark on that.

I did do a video the other day that turned out ok but none of the video is mine so I guess I'll be told to remove it or something.

So, the glitch thing looks interesting but even the ones I have bought lack any great depth that would allow extensive individualism.

What are you all using? Film, FLStudio, something more complicated?

Would be great if there was something out there that was not too expensive but I could use to create something interesting from a mix of film, glitch, SFX, spinny trippy colour things.

If it's considered uncool to post these I'll happily remove them. Just trying to get the idea across.

Boring (hopefully royalty free video clips)

Boring (spinny trippy colour thing)

Less boring maybe (I don't know if I should be using these clips)

Comments

• @Ailerom said:

Would be great if there was something out there that was not too expensive but I could use to create something interesting from a mix of film, glitch, SFX, spinny trippy colour things.

Hyperspektiv is great for that.

• True, it looks great. And it's my own hang up but I just refuse to do subscriptions. Is there anything else in it's class. From my searches it's a no.

• I create clips using Frax, Generate:Video, Glitch Clip, K-Machine, Monovista, Staella, Wizibel. Whatever looks cool.

And edit them in Luma Fusion.

One technique for creating clips is to record the screen while I'm free associating in some visually interesting app.

So far, I've put more time into these than I'd like, and produced fewer than I'd like, but it has been educational and satisfying.

I envy the the apparent laissez faire process behind the loop-based clips of this underground collective:

https://www.bugsinthebasement.com/instagram

• edited July 2020

Thanks a lot. I'm checking those out because they are in my price range and seem to have some promise. Not sure on the Fractal thing though as I find that gets a bit monotonous. But for $1.49 why not take a chance.

I've nearly bought Glitch Clip but I just can't find anything to give me a good insight of what it does. Same with Staella.

Is Luma subscription or only for the add ons? Wizibel looks pretty cool. Just trying to figure out if you can load multiple background images and cycle through them. One Sound Test Room seems to show this but none of the others do.

• Wizibel looks pretty cool. Just trying to figure out if you can load multiple background images and cycle through them. One Sound Test Room seems to show this but none of the others do.

I took a chance on Wizibel

It's pretty cool. Seems they like to keep changing things as it was hard to see what it was going to do based on video tutorials over the last few years. Seems they have removed the transition speed for multiple photos which is sucky.

• Thanks for the info. I was looking for an app that could animate or create mirror effects for video clips for visuals. I'll check those suggestions out. Cheers

• edited July 2020

@Ailerom said:
    Thanks a lot. I'm checking those out because they are in my price range and seem to have some promise. Not sure on the Fractal thing though as I find that gets a bit monotonous. But for $1.49 why not take a chance.

I've nearly bought Glitch Clip but I just can't find anything to give me a good insight of what it does. Same with Staella.

Is Luma subscription or only for the add ons? Wizibel looks pretty cool. Just trying to figure out if you can load multiple background images and cycle through them. One Sound Test Room seems to show this but none of the others do.

I used Staella for these 4 noodles:

Wizibel was used for this shorty (Wizibel can do more elaborate stuff then this simple thing tho)..

• edited July 2020

Glad we’re talking about this. What’s I’d really like to see on iOS is a visual app with particle fx where you have all the sliders for speed, amount, color, shading, transparency, a drawing tool, etc and it’s ALL audio reactive and can be set to a bpm. Someone please make this. And it doesn’t have to be complicated to use either. K-machine doesn’t look too pretty from what I’ve seen and it looks complicated as hell. I’d like to not spend just as much time on the visuals as I did on the music. With all the software tech we have, it should be something a person could bang out in just a few minutes with the right feature set and interface.

Also how is stealla? My impression of it was that there wasn’t much customization possible, that you just pick a theme; Wizibel too.

What ive seen is most visual apps aren’t truly audio reactive, or there’s only one very lame and basic looking element that is.

• I've used Staella in the past and tend use Glitch Clip fairly often: https://www.instagram.com/aux.mux/

And edit in LumaFusion.

I recently downloaded VFXapp based on a recommendation in another thread here.

Glitch Clip works for short videos but looking for tools for longer form content.

• edited July 2020

Thanks so much everyone. This is what I need to see. More of what these apps can do. Great stuff.

@auxmux said:
    I recently downloaded VFXapp based on a recommendation in another thread here.

VFX - Music Video Editor? How do you like it?

• I've used vfx a bit but haven't bought the IAP yet, so haven't been able to edit imported videos. Midi control is also IAP.

• edited July 2020

@db909 said:
    Glad we’re talking about this. What’s I’d really like to see on iOS is a visual app with particle fx where you have all the sliders for speed, amount, color, shading, transparency, a drawing tool, etc and it’s ALL audio reactive and can be set to a bpm. Someone please make this. And it doesn’t have to be complicated to use either. K-machine doesn’t look too pretty from what I’ve seen and it looks complicated as hell. I’d like to not spend just as much time on the visuals as I did on the music. With all the software tech we have, it should be something a person could bang out in just a few minutes with the right feature set and interface.

Yah I would love to build something like this. Played around with the idea in Unity and it certainly would be possible there. If anyone is feeling ambitious...

https://github.com/keijiro/Lasp

https://unity.com/

• I got VFX last night. It’s subscribe at $8 for a year or purchase for $17. I did the subscription because who knows where I’ll be in a year anyway. They also give you the option to turn off the sub when you pay for it which I thought was pretty cool or you can just go to your App Store account and turn it off. Either way you have it for a year at a reasonable price. I’ve gotten some interesting results in the short time I’ve used it. There are a number of video filters with parameters that can be controlled by audio, MIDI, tilt etc.

• Staella has lots of control. I wish it had MIDI control.

If I could draw, I'd be all over Tagtool

• Has anyone here got luma fx?
    I just want to be able to have a picture on screen and be able to manipulate it in different ways. Also to put audio to the picture from audioshare.
    Can luma fx do this?

• I have Luma Fusion. Luma fx is a cut down version of Luma Fusion. This can manipulate videos but is unable to my knowledge to sych to Midi.

• @Toastedghost said:
    I have Luma Fusion. Luma fx is a cut down version of Luma Fusion. This can manipulate videos but is unable to my knowledge to sych to Midi.

Thanks for the reply.
    So you dont think its able to import audio from audioshare?

• @mojozart said:

Woah, nice find. See that's half my problem. I don't know all the cool apps. Tagtool looks great. Anything like it or am I in for $27?

• edited July 2020

@mojozart said:
    Staella has lots of control. I wish it had MIDI control.

Actually, you don't have to be able to draw to benefit from Tagtool. You can import images. You can import cut out images to animate. Just export cut out parts of photos with a transparent background, and import into Tagtool. Then you can animate the parts. You can import images then trace over them. I haven't used it in awhile, but the last update brought it video export. Need to dig back in soon. :)

• If the clips aren’t royalty free, you can usually bury them into the ambience by manipulating the clip and layering other videos and over it and stuff like that. I see it the same as sampling audio how I approach it. Here’s a good amount of stuff that gets me there just on the iPhone alone without any special equipment. It’s pretty lofi but I want it to be but I definitely couldn’t do something professional looking.
    Here’s an example of something I made all on my iPhone alone just from sampling clips and manipulating stuff. I also shoot a lot of my own short clips, you’d be surprised at what works when you layer things up

• @Ailerom said:
    True, it looks great. And it's my own hang up but I just refuse to do subscriptions. Is there anything else in it's class. From my searches it's a no.

I don’t remember it being subscription. Wondering if I should avoid updating...?

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@Ailerom said:
    True, it looks great. And it's my own hang up but I just refuse to do subscriptions. Is there anything else in it's class. From my searches it's a no.

I don’t remember it being subscription. Wondering if I should avoid updating...?

I would.

• @skiphunt said:

@mojozart said:

Do you think it is any better than the myriad of other animation apps out there?

• @Fingolfinzzz said:
    If the clips aren’t royalty free, you can usually bury them into the ambience by manipulating the clip and layering other videos and over it and stuff like that. I see it the same as sampling audio how I approach it. Here’s a good amount of stuff that gets me there just on the iPhone alone without any special equipment. It’s pretty lofi but I want it to be but I definitely couldn’t do something professional looking.
    Here’s an example of something I made all on my iPhone alone just from sampling clips and manipulating stuff. I also shoot a lot of my own short clips, you’d be surprised at what works when you layer things up

Thanks, cool video. And thanks for the app list. Some new ones there to check out.

• @Ailerom said:

@skiphunt said:

@mojozart said:

Do you think it is any better than the myriad of other animation apps out there?

It’s VERY easy to record your animated motions. Like stupid easy. Basically hit record and then drag stuff around screen. That’s it. You just created an animation.

If you’re looking for lots of controlled keyframing and precision, it’s not that.

I got it back in the beginning. It’s used to be mostly free but if you wanted more options there was an IAP.

I recognized the potential right off and bought the IAP immediately. If it’s still the same, you can get most of the app for free and see for yourself.

• edited July 2020

Thanks, I have a few animation apps. This one has something going for it. Like you said it is simple to get something going. Will explore it more. If it has photo import that might win me over. Biggest drawback is the price.

• Just been having a go with Generate. Getting some great results. I think this app should do everything I need. Thanks for the advice.

• edited July 2020

I thought Generate was a keeper too. I'm starting realise that all of these apps are going to be limited and a bit repetitive to a degree and the true originality is going to to only if I have the skill to use it well. Just like music I guess. I think I need to get creative or better at recording video.

Luma Fusion seems to be the best (non subscription) iPad video editor. A step up from iMovie. Anyone disagree with that?

• I mostly use Staella, VFX, some music visualizers and custom effects created in LumaFusion.
    I need to investigate K Machine a little bit more as I believe it’s really powerful for generating visuals.

• @Small_paul1976 said:

@Toastedghost said:
    I have Luma Fusion. Luma fx is a cut down version of Luma Fusion. This can manipulate videos but is unable to my knowledge to sych to Midi.

Thanks for the reply.
    So you dont think its able to import audio from audioshare?

I’m also using Luma Fusion not Luma fx. You can import a photo from Photos and audio from AudioShare via the Files app. Then you can use key frames to manipulate visual fx along the timeline. Not completely sure but I think you need Fusion to import audio and make use of key frames. It’s totally worth it.