Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

GIT - Help ! please :)

I’m just getting into GIT for source control, have come from a long time of SourceSafe, VisualSourceSafe, TFS...I have recently switched to GIT, and I have some dumb questions 🙂

The reason for the switch is a move from in-house servers running a Winforms application, to Azure VM’s, after that converting to containers, they are being managed in dev ops.

In GIT what does what ? 1 repository per project ? How in DevOps do you span Kanban’s across multiple GIT projects ?

Comments

• tjatja
    edited July 2020

Not sure what to answer here.
    In git, a project is just what you are doing within a git repository, which is the directory that contains the .git subdir.

But service providers like github or atlassian coined their own meaning of "projects", mostly a bunch of repositories that belong to a certain topic or a group of people.
    Thats it already.

Examples: A "project" of the website team, containing several repositories, each for a website. And a "project" for the server administrators, with repositories for scripts and configurations.
    In pure git terms, those are just repositories, each for a git project.

Kanban .... i dont see what this has to do with projects or repositories. It is mostly about things to be done and how important or urgent they are. And such things can of course be part of or belong to any repository, in whatever "project".

That will not help you, i fear.

• I’m so excited for you! My god, VSS still haunts me and I haven’t used it in 10+ years.

Ask more specific questions as they come. Or just search stack overflow like the rest of us. :)

One thing that might be hard to grok coming from other VCS is that there is no “main” repository with git. Every person/machine who clones a repo has the full repo. Services like github or bitbucket can act like the “central” repository but it’s important to understand that this is entirely down to convention/team acceptance.

Associating something like a kanban board with one or more repositories is going to come down to your kanban software. Jira can do this, for instance, but it leans toward one repo per board/project as do most others that I’m aware of.

• Thanks for the info, Kanban is provided by DevOps, and it looks like that is on a project only basis, no project spanning :(
    And also within DevOps I can only seem to add a single repository to a DevOps project, I’m using GIT for the repository.

With GIT I now need to get my head around branching/merging and handling conflicts.

• @AndyPlankton said:
    Thanks for the info, Kanban is provided by DevOps, and it looks like that is on a project only basis, no project spanning :(
    And also within DevOps I can only seem to add a single repository to a DevOps project, I’m using GIT for the repository.

With GIT I now need to get my head around branching/merging and handling conflicts.

Are you talking about the product Azure DevOps ?

• @AndyPlankton said:

Branches in git are different from VSS or older SVN versions in that branches in git don’t make a new copy of the entire repo. They’re really just snapshots of whatever the current state of the repo is. In SVN and VSS, we very very rarely made branches because they were a giant pain. In git, you’re making new branches pretty much constantly.

https://www.atlassian.com/git/tutorials are all really well written. Probably best to start from the top but https://www.atlassian.com/git/tutorials/using-branches might help.

• https://www.atlassian.com/git/tutorials/comparing-workflows Is also a really worthwhile read with regard to branching and merging. Git is soooo flexible that team conventions are key. There are lots of ways to collaborate and lots of reasons to make branches. Understanding the different workflows will help you and your team understand those reasons.

• @drez said:

@AndyPlankton said:
    Thanks for the info, Kanban is provided by DevOps, and it looks like that is on a project only basis, no project spanning :(

Are you talking about the product Azure DevOps ?

Yes 🙂

• @syrupcore Awesome, thanks 🙂