Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Apple reportedly evaluating Apple Silicon-powered macOS on iPhone

edited July 2020 in General App Discussion

The article says:
A leaker reports that Apple is working on Apple Silicon prototypes with macOS running on the iPhone, which would allow a user to plug an iPhone into a dock or monitor, and have a full desktop experience.
https://appleinsider.com/articles/20/06/30/apple-reportedly-evaluating-apple-silicon-powered-macos-on-iphone

These looks interesting.
But why not just bring macOS to iPad?

Comments

• Looks like macOS is getting more like ipadOS anyway. The future is a touchscreen product that can also be used with a mouse and a keyboard. Microsoft did it with mixed results. Hopefully Apple will nail it.
    The key thing is, that it has to be a GOOD touchscreen device when using it in tablet mode and has to be powerful enough when used with a mouse and keyboard with pro apps. Apple is getting there.

• @Jimmy said:
    Looks like macOS is getting more like ipadOS anyway. The future is a touchscreen product that can also be used with a mouse and a keyboard. Microsoft did it with mixed results. Hopefully Apple will nail it.
    The key thing is, that it has to be a GOOD touchscreen device when using it in tablet mode and has to be powerful enough when used with a mouse and keyboard with pro apps. Apple is getting there.

Lets hope it goes well..but macoS on an iPhone seems a bit stretching out.
    Would be good to see it on iPad though

• Would seem an obvious thing to do, either that or a Cell based OS if all the hardware is the same architecture.
    iPhone super platinum limited edition XR Pro, iOS when using your phone on the go, MacOS when you dock it, obviously Cell based is way way better, dock your phone next to your Mac and it just adds its resources to the Mac.

• wimwim
    edited July 2020

I'm good with it, as long as I can remove the annoying bits from the phone ... such as receiving and making calls.

• @wim said:
    I'm good with it, as long as I can remove the annoying bits from the phone ... such as receiving and making calls.

Hey my phone just stopped doing this receiving and making calls on it’s own. I can’t even work today because my computer messed up and working remote I can’t call IT. The damn VPNs and password authenticator took my password the first half of the day and then locked me out with no change and I can’t use my phone to call. Who knows how long this issue has been happening as I haven’t made many calls lately.

• I hate to be pessimistic - but how are they going to do all this new stuff - new chips, ARM devices, laptops, iMacs, new dual OS, desktop software on a phone etc., in the middle of a global pandemic? And with the main countries involved in development and production most badly hit by the virus? It’s almost impossible to buy an existing iPad Air from Amazon at the moment due to supply issues - let alone all those new goodies.

Oh, and a global depression on the cards too.

All sounds great, but I can’t see any of this happening anytime soon.

• @MonzoPro said:
    I hate to be pessimistic - but how are they going to do all this new stuff - new chips, ARM devices, laptops, iMacs, new dual OS, desktop software on a phone etc., in the middle of a global pandemic? And with the main countries involved in development and production most badly hit by the virus? It’s almost impossible to buy an existing iPad Air from Amazon at the moment due to supply issues - let alone all those new goodies.

I think with the pandemic going on, they should focus more on software development than hardware.
    As you said main countries involved with the production are being hit, and also if it keeps going on, unfortunately many people could loose jobs and have no funds to buy things

• @Paa89 said:

@MonzoPro said:
    I hate to be pessimistic - but how are they going to do all this new stuff - new chips, ARM devices, laptops, iMacs, new dual OS, desktop software on a phone etc., in the middle of a global pandemic? And with the main countries involved in development and production most badly hit by the virus? It’s almost impossible to buy an existing iPad Air from Amazon at the moment due to supply issues - let alone all those new goodies.

I think with the pandemic going on, they should focus more on software development than hardware.
    As you said main countries involved with the production are being hit, and also if it keeps going on, unfortunately many people could loose jobs and have no funds to buy things

Yep. I think they should be focusing on getting their current product range to their suppliers, and fixing bugs in their OS. I found it impossible to buy a laptop earlier this year, before the shutdown, with any third party supplier - Amazon included. Amazon still has a two month wait on new iPads. I was told by several companies that Apple were prioritising stock for their own stores due to supply issues.

• Maybe they see it as a safe period to do the switch. Just made me think now that perhaps only people with deep pockets and/or total iMacolytes will buy in during the crossover period, then just as the recovery takes hold, the bugs and glitches will be well tested out in the wild and ready for mass consumption?

Just a momentary theory that hit me...

• edited July 2020

@Krupa said:
    Maybe they see it as a safe period to do the switch. Just made me think now that perhaps only people with deep pockets and/or total iMacolytes will buy in during the crossover period, then just as the recovery takes hold, the bugs and glitches will be well tested out in the wild and ready for mass consumption?

I can't think of a worse time to be doing this, personally - a global pandemic and world recession? Most businesses will be battening down the hatches, and reassuring existing and new customers that it's business as usual. To be throwing your arms in the air, announcing massive changes to your whole product line and operating system, when suppliers are struggling to get existing products seems nutty to me.

I'm also a bit concerned about this hybrid OS thing. It's got dumbing down for the consumer market written all over it.

• @MonzoPro said:

@Krupa said:
    Maybe they see it as a safe period to do the switch. Just made me think now that perhaps only people with deep pockets and/or total iMacolytes will buy in during the crossover period, then just as the recovery takes hold, the bugs and glitches will be well tested out in the wild and ready for mass consumption?

I can't think of a worse time to be doing this, personally - a global pandemic and world recession? Most businesses will be battening down the hatches, and reassuring existing and new customers that it's business as usual. To be throwing your arms in the air, announcing massive changes to your whole product line and operating system, when suppliers are struggling to get existing products seems nutty to me.

I'm also a bit concerned about this hybrid OS thing. It's got dumbing down for the consumer market written all over it.

You’re probably right, it was just a passing thought, like they had it planned anyway, and they’re not likely to have huge sales during such a period anyway, so why not batten down the hatches and prepare for sunnier times...

Agree with doubts over hybrid system, I don’t know enough about CPU architecture to determine how scalable this stuff is going to be...

• @MonzoPro said:

@Krupa said:

Hopefully finder is never replaced by a “files” app. 😉

• edited July 2020

@mrufino1 said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Krupa said:

Hopefully finder is never replaced by a “files” app. 😉

Oh don't! lol

Not sure what the OP is actually demonstrating there anyway, and has generated a bit of suspicion on the MacRumors forum. Since three gb of iPad RAM isn't going to be able to even cope with the Mac OS, let alone Photoshop or Logic on top, I'm guessing it's some sort of desktop mirroring - if it's even genuine.

• It would indeed be nice to hook up an iPhone to an AppleTV or HDMI monitor and use it as a proper desktop with mouse and keyboard...

I mean the Android peeps can run Cubasis for Android Phone and a 4K monitor so why should we iOS users be discriminated without having access to a bigger screen :D

• I can’t wait for ableton on my phone.

• @Samu said:
    It would indeed be nice to hook up an iPhone to an AppleTV or HDMI monitor and use it as a proper desktop with mouse and keyboard...

I mean the Android peeps can run Cubasis for Android Phone and a 4K monitor so why should we iOS users be discriminated without having access to a bigger screen :D

Yeah, would definitely love that option.

• 3gb is fine for MacOS, you wont be running Photoshop etc, but that is not MacOS, Apple store have shipped within a day the last couple times I have or know of orders in the last two months.
    If you don't see Apple unifying their range for simplicity, your glasses are super tinted, finder had already started to get dumbed down from el capitan, and is so many extra clicks for repetitive media edit and logging, I personally chose to switch over to one of my Windows machines for sample editing (No issue for me, I use what works for a task)

• edited July 2020

@Turntablist said:
    3gb is fine for MacOS, you wont be running Photoshop etc, but that is not MacOS,

It is in those screenshots, unless, as I said, it's simply acting as a monitor.

@Turntablist said:
    Apple store have shipped within a day the last couple times I have or know of orders in the last two months.

I've just checked the UK Apple store, and for a standard iPad Pro, no engraving, bog standard, it says:

"Delivers: 25 Jul - 1 Aug"

That'll be a minimum of three weeks wait then sir.

@Turntablist said:
    If you don't see Apple unifying their range for simplicity, your glasses are super tinted

Did I say that? I actually said the opposite and that I hope they don't dumb down or simplify things further.

Check your own glasses.

• You really do like to overeact to everything like somebody is kicking your dog and setting fire to your head at the same time.

Try imagining, just for one moment, that not every post made on every forum all across the internet is pointed directly at you, sir.

Sometimes, somebody, somewhere, is just making a general comment, and your over reaction to said comments being directed just at poor little you shows a serious inferiority complex, now please have at it and as per usual, point out all the flaws and issues as pertains to you, in my post, sir.

• edited July 2020

@Turntablist said:

Sometimes, somebody, somewhere, is just making a general comment, and your over reaction to said comments being directed just at poor little you shows a serious inferiority complex

At least I don't resort to personal abuse though, eh? Not quite the moral high ground you think you're occupying there?

@Turntablist said:

now please have at it and as per usual, point out all the flaws and issues as pertains to you, in my post, sir.

This is a forum. People post stuff, comments as they're generally known, and other people post replies. Your post was at odds with my previous comments, and since you did not specifically state you had a special dispentation from above that no-one was allowed to respond, or tag anyone in particular, I replied to your comments.

So, you say you get orders back within a day, I checked and it's three weeks for an iPad Pro here, etc.

It's a forum. That's what we do here. If you want to limit your conversation to a single member, tag them, otherwise anyone will join in.

• I just learned that I can add thunderbolt 3 to the cheese grater Mac Pro that I was given a few weeks ago, so that may be my next Mac...whatever Apple does with processors, as long as it works I don’t care. I’ve never bought a Mac brand new and I’m not going to start now (for price reasons more than anything).

• This will never happen. Not until the iphone has a 12" screen or holographic projection.