Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

I made a thing: Red Alert!

edited July 2020 in Creations

This was created within Zenbeats as I was learning to use it along with my new Launchpad X. I'm a keyboard player and wasn't sure if I could play a grid-based instrument musically so this was a largely successful experiment. I had a Launchpad mini and that was useless for anything other than drums, but the LP X is amazingly musical and working with that layout has (unfortunately) convinced me that I do eventually need a Linnstrument. :wink: The creation process in ZB was fun and easy despite my whining in another thread about having trouble rendering it. I ended up recording it to another iPad and doing the final processing (mastering?) there. Constructive criticism regarding the mix or anything else is welcome. Enjoy!

Per the song notes on Soundcloud:

"Red Alert" was created entirely on an iPad using Roland Zenbeats with a Novation Launchpad X MIDI controller and features the following iOS apps:

• SynthMaster Player
  • BLEASS Alpha
  • Bassalicious 2
  • CrushStation
  • TB Reverb
  • FAC Phazer
  • BarkFilter
  • Stereo Width
  • Stereo Lag
  • Pro-Q 3

Comments

• Nice!! I really enjoyed it.
    The main synth sounds great.
    Well done👍

• @Small_paul1976 said:
    Nice!! I really enjoyed it.
    The main synth sounds great.
    Well done👍

Thank you, kind sir! :blush:

• Very good. I like the bassline, which is a great melody in itself.

• The mix sounds really good to me. The arrangement is fantastic. I could see this being used in video games and movies really easily.

• Thank you, @LeonKowalski and @robertreynolds both! Your comments are really appreciated. Funny coincidence, I used some songs from the original Beat Saber video game soundtracks as my reference tracks when trying to get the balance right. :smiley:

• @oddSTAR I like this! As I had issues with some rendering in Zenbeats as well but I was able to fix that. Did you ever try and render with force 44k turned off? That is what helped me.

Once again nice track!!!!!

• edited July 2020

@oddSTAR : cool use of the LPX. I have a mini which I use solely as a Live clip launcher/arranger, and just got a Pro on a deal, haven’t tried it properly yet, interested to see what you did there. What does it bring musically that keys don’t you think?

• @onerez said:
    @oddSTAR I like this! As I had issues with some rendering in Zenbeats as well but I was able to fix that. Did you ever try and render with force 44k turned off? That is what helped me.

Once again nice track!!!!!

Thanks @onerez ! I did try with that option turned off and it didn't seem to help in my case, but thanks! I may just resign myself to recording output to another device like a barbarian for now... :wink: I am enjoying the creation process in ZB.

• @Svetlovska said:
    @oddSTAR : cool use of the LPX. I have a mini which I use solely as a Live clip launcher/arranger, and just got a Pro on a deal, haven’t tried it properly yet, interested to see what you did there. What does it bring musically that keys don’t you think?

Thank you! I'm not sure but I think the grid layout put more "distant" notes within reach which made my choice of note progressions different than it would've been on a keyboard. Playing notes on keys may impose some soft limitations based on what my fingers can reach next. Never really thought about it before. Having a condensed playing surface laid out in an easy to understand grid somehow expands my palette and really lends itself to interesting patterns and runs. Nice responsive pads are critically important here. That's not to say keyboards don't still have clear advantages for me in terms of expressive playing and realtime sound manipulation in certain situations. I definitely missed having a pitch bend and modulation wheel, for example, and velocity was not quite as sensitive although it is adjustable on the LPX. This is all based on first impressions, of course, as I'm still new to it. Portability of the LPX is also superior to any of my keyboard controllers based on carrying it frequently into the living room. Haha!

• Terrific. Like the alarm around 1:30. What SMP patch did you use?

• Thank you @LinearLineman ! That lead is my favorite patch in all of SynthMaster Player's myriad sounds: LD Symmetry-U2 (i)
    It is a factory preset and I've modeled several additional patches on it. The mod wheel controls the cutoff which is lovely--except that there is no mod wheel on a LPX so it's pretty well static on this track--and slowly touching another key produces a lovely glide which varies in speed depending on the velocity. It's a very malleable and satisfying lead patch to play.

• Thanks @oddSTAR. Is that in an inapp pack?

• I don't think so...although I do have all of the Rob Lee packs and a few others.