Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iPad Pro USB-C hub - what is the best at this point in time, July 2020

Curious if there is a hub that stands out now and gets it right! ?

Thanks for any feedback!

Comments

• Following this, need to add some storage to my pro

• edited July 2020

@echoopera uses the Kingston Nucleum
    I have been looking at this one also HYPERDRIVE 6 in 1

• edited July 2020

I just use an apple usb c multiport adapter https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MUF82AM/A/usb-c-digital-av-multiport-adapter and then a 7 port usb hub with a usb a connector into the free slot on the multiport adapter. https://www.tp-link.com/nl/home-networking/usb-hub/uh700/

It works really well. Keeps my ipad powered. Can split to hdmi and have 7 usb ports including external soundcard, synths and midikeyboard.

• @joniqwest said:

I use the Nucleum too (2018 ipad pro) and it has worked flawlessly.

It's always disappointing to me that the ipad is such a sleek device, but it has to have this dongle hanging off the side of it, but I manage. It hasn't fallen out yet in use. There are some hubs that attach to the side of the ipad, which I would prefer all else equal. But last I checked those models had audio/phones outputs built in and I was concerned about that causing conflicts with an audio interface attached as well.

• Funny you mention the audio conflict with interfaces, I have a MOTU 828es connected to the iPad Pro but have been looking at something more portable around the house as I haven’t set up ‘studio room” yet. The HYPER DRIVE looks really appealing to me as well with the audio jack, though I don’t think I would use both at the same time.

@PZoo said:

@joniqwest said:

It's always disappointing to me that the ipad is such a sleek device, but it has to have this dongle hanging off the side of it, but I manage. It hasn't fallen out yet in use. There are some hubs that attach to the side of the ipad, which I would prefer all else equal. But last I checked those models had audio/phones outputs built in and I was concerned about that causing conflicts with an audio interface attached as well.

• I have been looking also.
    This one is on amazon.com
    I am in UK, but thinking of still buying it. As the UK Amazon doesn't stock it.
    Usb c power, and another usb c for data, I need a head phone socket, which this has, along with 2
    usb 3

• @joniqwest said:
    Funny you mention the audio conflict with interfaces, I have a MOTU 828es connected to the iPad Pro but have been looking at something more portable around the house as I haven’t set up ‘studio room” yet. The HYPER DRIVE looks really appealing to me as well with the audio jack, though I don’t think I would use both at the same time.

@PZoo said:

@joniqwest said:

I had the Hyperdrive as well, I liked it somewhat, but it got hot and after a few weeks the jack input stopped working alltogether. Build quality is not great, little bit sharp around the edges and mine turned out to be a lemon. Sending it back for support was a no no because I had to send it to mainland China on my own expense. Right.

• I use the i-tec USB-C dock. It’s bigger than a hub, with its own mains power. I modded mine to disconnect the built-in audio jack, so it works without highjacking the audio when I use it with an audio interface.

I wrote about the i-tec, and others, here:

https://www.cultofmac.com/617166/kingston-nucleum-best-usb-c-hub-for-ipad-pro/

• @PZoo said:

@joniqwest said:

Thanks, looking at this. So, unclear whether you can use an audio headset with this?

• edited July 2020

I use the OWC USB-C Travel dock with my 2018 iPad Pro:
    Works great with my audio interface and keeping the iPad powered; its primary purpose.
    I use the SD slot all the time to copy samples to/from my deluge, and HDMI for movie night on the big screen.

I might have picked one with more USB ports if I ever got another hub, though I suppose I can always use another multiport USB hub with it, if needed.

build quality is excellent; looks like a tiny mac mini with brushed aluminum surrounding all sides. My only complaint would be that the built in usb-c cable is too short - like 6 inches or less.

• edited July 2020

Yep the Nucleum is great. The free USB slot allows me to use the Apple USB-C to Audio interface to play audio to external speakers and headphones and such.

• @Eriko said:

@joniqwest said:
    Funny you mention the audio conflict with interfaces, I have a MOTU 828es connected to the iPad Pro but have been looking at something more portable around the house as I haven’t set up ‘studio room” yet. The HYPER DRIVE looks really appealing to me as well with the audio jack, though I don’t think I would use both at the same time.

@PZoo said:

@joniqwest said:

I had the Hyperdrive as well, I liked it somewhat, but it got hot and after a few weeks the jack input stopped working alltogether. Build quality is not great, little bit sharp around the edges and mine turned out to be a lemon. Sending it back for support was a no no because I had to send it to mainland China on my own expense. Right.

I also wouldn't recommend the Hyperdrive. The headphone jack was a bit dodgy, and within a year was not working at all. Plus, you can't use the inline mic to record when running it through this. Nice idea and looks great, but definitely avoid. Would be very cautious buying any Chinese product for this purpose actually, I have had bad experiences with a few apple connector type things made in China. (eg. Vga/hdmi connectors)

Seriously, I want to kill apple for making me waste money solving a problem that should not be a problem. Greedy bstrds. But I follow this thread with interest as I also want to get something new to do this job, but must be reliable.

• @gkillmaster said:
    Thanks, looking at this. So, unclear whether you can use an audio headset with this?

Hi there. Sorry I’m not sure. There is no direct audio connection, only USB ports. So if the headset is USB C or 3.1, it should be ok. If it’s an audio jack, I do sometimes use an Apple USB-C to headphone adaptor which works great, but I’m not aware if that can handle bidirectional/mic input too.

This was the article that I read that pushed me to the Nucleum if helpful:

• @mistercharlie said:
    I use the i-tec USB-C dock. It’s bigger than a hub, with its own mains power. I modded mine to disconnect the built-in audio jack, so it works without highjacking the audio when I use it with an audio interface.

Nice article! Isn't this nucleum cable going to die soon, hanging off the edge of the iPad like that? God, why is it so hard to get a decent product that does this thing with no cons, lol.

I didn't read your part about modding it. Is it possible to switch easily between modded and not?can u disable it quickly and easily when u want to use headphones. For me I largely use headphones, rarely audio interface, but want the ability to do both.

• I was very worried about the quality and had not pulled the trigger I have been “duped” before with an amazingly designed product that fell apart literally. I think decision has been made towards Nucleum but will look at @Eschatone suggestion as OWC does have a great reputation
    @mistercharlie thanks for the link to your article good read !

@Gavinski said:

@Eriko said:

@joniqwest said:

@PZoo said:

@joniqwest said:

I also wouldn't recommend the Hyperdrive. The headphone jack was a bit dodgy, and within a year was not working at all. Plus, you can't use the inline mic to record when running it through this. Nice idea and looks great, but definitely avoid. Would be very cautious buying any Chinese product for this purpose actually, I have had bad experiences with a few apple connector type things made in China. (eg. Vga/hdmi connectors)

Seriously, I want to kill apple for making me waste money solving a problem that should not be a problem. Greedy bstrds. But I follow this thread with interest as I also want to get something new to do this job, but must be reliable.

• @mistercharlie said:
    I use the i-tec USB-C dock. It’s bigger than a hub, with its own mains power. I modded mine to disconnect the built-in audio jack, so it works without highjacking the audio when I use it with an audio interface.

Ha! That’s funny. Good article! I linked to it above too

• edited July 2020

@Shazamm said:

The Hyperdrive. Looks good, but as I and another person here already mentioned, is actually an unreliable piece of shit 😉. How long have you used it for? Again I repeat, strongly recommended against this product.

• edited July 2020

@Shazamm said:

Looks convenient, but my main concern would be all the extra weight and drag on the port, and the potential to short it out over time. Not sure how USB-C stacks up to lightning durability, but I’ve seen too many lightning ports short out just from regular use, including on my 6s Plus.

• Not sure what to make of this. Does anyone have one of these?

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/hyperdrive-usb-c-hub-for-macbook-pro-2016-2017#/

Right now, I'm leaning toward the Nucleum or OWC but I really need to know that the headphone jack will work while I'm working on audio projects...

• edited July 2020

@gkillmaster said:
    Not sure what to make of this. Does anyone have one of these?

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/hyperdrive-usb-c-hub-for-macbook-pro-2016-2017#/

Right now, I'm leaning toward the Nucleum or OWC but I really need to know that the headphone jack will work while I'm working on audio projects...

I think I’d have gone with Nucleum over OWC if I knew about the former beforehand. I think both are great quality, but looks like Nucleum has more USB ports and it’s around $5 cheaper.

• @Eschatone said:
    I think I’d have gone with Nucleum over OWC if I knew about the former beforehand. I think both are great quality, but looks like Nucleum has more USB ports and it’s around $5 cheaper.

Thank you!

• @Gavinski said:

@Shazamm said:

The Hyperdrive. Looks good, but as I and another person here already mentioned, is actually an u reliable piece of shit 😉. How long have you used it for? Again I repeat, strongly recommended against this product.

O, thanks. Didn’t see this before I posted my question about it.

• @gkillmaster said:

Further up the thread:
    Yep the Nucleum is great. The free USB slot allows me to use the Apple USB-C to Audio interface to play audio to external speakers and headphones and such.

• @echoopera said:

@gkillmaster said:

Further up the thread:

Thank you. I see now...

• edited July 2020

Does it take mic input through both the USB c and headphone jack inputs? @echoopera

• @echoopera thanks for sounding off

@echoopera said:

• @Gavinski said:
    Does it take mic input through both the USB c and headphone jack inputs? @echoopera

I’ll check that out for you.

• edited July 2020

@echoopera you’re a gent