Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Best Equipment I Can Buy To Play with classical guitar + headphone

edited June 27 in Off-topic

I have a Godin Multiac with nylon strings but I dont have an acoustic amp. I only have a Blackstar TVP15 and I’m not sure this amp give me the best of my guitar. I’m looking for something (soundcard or small amp or small mFX) to play with headphone and my guitar. I think the best would be a Yamaha THRa5. The most important thing is the sound quality with headphone. The headphone sound quality with these THR series is outstanding and they have a couple of effects.

But its soldout and discontinued.

Is the Yamaha AG3 + iPad + guitar sounds as good as the THR5a?

Is there a thing I can buy (200$ budget) that sound as good with headphone for classical guitar?

I dont know why, but sometimes, VERY good guitar amp that sounds extra good sounds very shitty with headphone (ie. some VOX amp).

My ideal setup would be as simple as possible. I just need something to play with my headphone on my couch.

Any suggestion will be welcome.

Thanks

Comments

  • wimwim
    edited June 27

    What you're really missing is probably simply the naturalness of sound vibrating in air and "living" in a room. There's no substitute for that. But there are plenty of ways to get closer.

    If you're going to be listening through headphones, you don't need to have an amp in the equation. It is more likely just to get in the way. The focus on amp design is to sound good in a room, not through headphones. Even the best amps can sound like crap through their headphone out. Spend your money on a good audio interface instead.

    Once you're playing through your device rather than an amp your options expand a lot. To replace the dynamics of an amp cabinet I suggest getting Thafknar and hunting around for some impulse responses until you find some that satisfy. You also need just a touch of reverb with settings for a relatively small room.

    Part of the sound you're probably missing is also the little bit of saturation and EQ that an acoustic amp can provide. I highly suggest Reamp for this. It gives you lots of flexibility to shape the sound. Also, because it has basic EQ as well, it can help to compensate for any yuckiness coming from your guitar pickups.

    Lastly: TB Morphit. It's magic for headphones. Seriously.

  • @wim said:
    Spend your money on a good audio interface instead.

    Thank you! What do you think of the Yamaha AG3? Others suggestions?

  • @Montreal_Music said:

    @wim said:
    Spend your money on a good audio interface instead.

    Thank you! What do you think of the Yamaha AG3? Others suggestions?

    I'm useless in that department. I'm still rockin' the same old iRig Pro I bought like 10 years ago. :D

  • wimwim
    edited June 27

    @wim said:

    @Montreal_Music said:

    @wim said:
    Spend your money on a good audio interface instead.

    Thank you! What do you think of the Yamaha AG3? Others suggestions?

    I'm useless in that department. I'm still rockin' the same old iRig Pro I bought like 10 years ago. :D

    I take that back. I think you're looking at the AG3 because of its effects? I wouldn't.

    I'd focus on getting the sound into your iPad/Phone cleanly and simply with a straight-up interface, then using the huge array of FX available there.

    If you specifically want a mixer, then that's a different story.

  • edited June 27

    +1 To get it you sound closer to an acoustic guitar the key is to bring some of the resonance and glue that a real room provides to the headphones mix, so a reverb set to sound like room ambiance. The same is true for making it sound like an acoustic guitar amp in a room—reverb is still key, with a touch of dynamics (saturation and compression) and eq to taste. No need for a dedicated hardware device.

  • @wim said:

    @wim said:

    @Montreal_Music said:

    @wim said:
    Spend your money on a good audio interface instead.

    Thank you! What do you think of the Yamaha AG3? Others suggestions?

    I'm useless in that department. I'm still rockin' the same old iRig Pro I bought like 10 years ago. :D

    I take that back. I think you're looking at the AG3 because of its effects? I wouldn't.

    More option than the Scarlett Solo and cheaper. I think the sound quality is the same, correct me if I’m wrong

  • edited June 28

    Hello french cousin 😊

    I would advise you without any hesitation to go for an Apogee Jam.

    I just bought this week an « old » second hand Apogee Jam 96k for 45€ (almost the same in dollar conversion), this product really lives up to its reputation.

    Amazing preamp, no extraneous noise, easy to use and carry in your guitar case with your iPad.

    The new Apogee Jam is called Jam+, there’s no big difference with the old model except they replaced their owner connector with a standard usb-c connector.

  • My Blackstar TVP have an integrated soundcard. Is there a cheap option? Would my sound > @BCKeys said:

    Hello french cousin 😊

    I would advise you without any hesitation to go for an Apogee Jam.

    I just bought this week an « old » second hand Apogee Jam 96k for 45€ (almost the same in dollar conversion), this product really lives up to its reputation.

    Amazing preamp, no extraneous noise, easy to use and carry in your guitar case with your iPad.

    The new Apogee Jam is called Jam+, there’s no big difference with the old model except they replaced their owner connector with a standard usb-c connector.

    Merci!

  • I've played a couple of small venues with my yamaha THR-10 and seagull acoustic (western). I also used it with my nylon acoustic and it's perfect. I recently sold the THR-10 and I upgraded to a THR30II, this acts as a audiointerface for my ipad and paired with a wireless line6 transmitter I can move around freely as I don't need a guitar cable. In my opinion, and if you can spare the money, go for the new yamaha THR series.

  • @Montreal_Music How are you getting a signal from a nylon-string guitar into an amp interface? Is there some kind of piezo pickup in there? I’m interested as I love the sound of a classical guitar, but recording them is a pin compared to electric.

  • @mistercharlie said:
    @Montreal_Music How are you getting a signal from a nylon-string guitar into an amp interface? Is there some kind of piezo pickup in there? I’m interested as I love the sound of a classical guitar, but recording them is a pin compared to electric.

    The op uses a Godin Multiac. They are purpose built to be played through amplification. Different models have different transducer systems. Godin have been experimenting with construction techniques to make the amplified sound more realistic for decades, so it’s not just the electronics. E.g. I know some early models included tuned metal tines under the bridge to get more complex resonance from this kind of bodies. (Not sure if they still do that.)

  • @mistercharlie said:
    @Montreal_Music How are you getting a signal from a nylon-string guitar into an amp interface? Is there some kind of piezo pickup in there? I’m interested as I love the sound of a classical guitar, but recording them is a pin compared to electric.

    I’m from Montréal and I like to buy local. Godin guitar’s from Montreal makes the best bang for the buck guitar. I own a Godin Multiac ACS Blue Denin spécial édition with the best pickup possible for nylon string. I also have a 13 pins plus for midi. I know a great store in Montreal who will make you the best price possible.

  • @Andrik said:
    I've played a couple of small venues with my yamaha THR-10 and seagull acoustic (western). I also used it with my nylon acoustic and it's perfect. I recently sold the THR-10 and I upgraded to a THR30II, this acts as a audiointerface for my ipad and paired with a wireless line6 transmitter I can move around freely as I don't need a guitar cable. In my opinion, and if you can spare the money, go for the new yamaha THR series.

    The THR30II is a fusion of the THR classic, blues, metal and acoustic?

  • @ohwell @Montreal_Music Nice! I shall have to look at those.

  • When you use the soundcard of the THR with your iPad, is the sounds the same as a regular soundcard or the amp inflence the sound?

  • @mistercharlie said:
    @ohwell @Montreal_Music Nice! I shall have to look at those.

  • @Montreal_Music said:

    @Andrik said:
    I've played a couple of small venues with my yamaha THR-10 and seagull acoustic (western). I also used it with my nylon acoustic and it's perfect. I recently sold the THR-10 and I upgraded to a THR30II, this acts as a audiointerface for my ipad and paired with a wireless line6 transmitter I can move around freely as I don't need a guitar cable. In my opinion, and if you can spare the money, go for the new yamaha THR series.

    The THR30II is a fusion of the THR classic, blues, metal and acoustic?

    yes it is.

  • @Montreal_Music said:
    When you use the soundcard of the THR with your iPad, is the sounds the same as a regular soundcard or the amp inflence the sound?

    It acts as a regular speaker so no coloring by amp settings.

  • I totally forgot about Godin guitars. I used to play them a lot in a music store I gave lessons at, really nice guitars.

  • @Andrik said:

    @Montreal_Music said:
    When you use the soundcard of the THR with your iPad, is the sounds the same as a regular soundcard or the amp inflence the sound?

    It acts as a regular speaker so no coloring by amp settings.

    Ok, I really want a THR. Thank you!

  • edited June 29

    @Fingolfinzzz said:
    I totally forgot about Godin guitars. I used to play them a lot in a music store I gave lessons at, really nice guitars.

    Even the cheapest Godin guitar are well build. I bought a Godin (les paul style) for 800$, better than the 1500$ Gibson of my friend. I dont know if its still the case, but between 2015 and 2018 the quality construction of the guitar drop (Gibson).

    Godin Session (600$) is better than many Fender strat at 1200$.

Sign In or Register to comment.