Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

NuRack Auv3 FX Processor by 4Pockets.com

Comments

• Surely the dev is going to make most of his other fx apps obsolete with this eventually??

• Is it true the eq only goes down to 100hz ?

• @topaz said:
    Is it true the eq only goes down to 100hz ?

Yes, and the Graphic EQ only to 125hz. I have asked if they can drop down to 20hz.

• Ok, odd ;-)

@gusgranite said:

@topaz said:
    Is it true the eq only goes down to 100hz ?

Yes, and the Graphic EQ only to 125hz. I have asked if they can drop down to 20hz.

• Anyone else also been unable to zoom in or out in Interface Builder mode or Presentation mode since the most recent update? Zooming now only works for me in Connection mode.

I tested it on several devices and it worked fine before the update but it seems to have changed since the last update.

• @Dutchee said:
    Anyone else also been unable to zoom in or out in Interface Builder mode or Presentation mode since the most recent update? Zooming now only works for me in Connection mode.

I tested it on several devices and it worked fine before the update but it seems to have changed since the last update.

Now sorted on latest update. Thank you Paul.

• @aleyas said:
    Not trying to be that guy.. but Drambo was designed to do exactly what you are describing here.

Audio input goes to effect, then midi > gate triggers as many envelopes as you wish, routing the CV control to almost any parameter, such as delay time, cutoff frequency, phaser freq, etc.

For the time being D doesn't have user customizable GUI options (Giku was talking about adding them in the future). But if you're needing a tool that meets your specifications (routing config, CV resolution, music effect auv3, etc), that tool does already exist.

@horsetrainer said:
    I just bought this because of the custom UI design features.

My ideal use for Nurack would be setting up ANY received Midi-note-On as a modular type gate for triggering an ARSR envelope... the CV output of the ADSR could then be used to modulate various effect parameters. This would be especially useful for setting up the classic filter cutoff's, and other effects, to respond to individual key-strikes in a mono-synth-like fashion.

Is Nurack capable of being set up to function this way now?

If not, I hope 4-Pockets will consider adding this capability, as I imagine many people would use this app for that purpose.

Recently purchased NuRack. Gladly impressed by the sound quality, specially for the price, it’s a steal. Was looking to buy an octaver and here it is. Multiband, splitters... just great.
    I’ve holding on Drambo cos lately all I do is read, buy and watch tutorials. Seems like Drambo will bury me there forever!. BUT it looks so good and fun.
    Now for the “push me off the cliff” question...
    How good are the Drambo audio fx?. Compared to NuRack?. I mean distorsions, delays, pitch shifters, eqs, Compressors... you know, the usual...
    I love the “build your fx chain” modular approach, it seems like Drambo can do it like NuRack, alas a steeper learning curve. Just wondering about the quality.
    Cheers!

• I can't comment on the comparative quality of the FX. I would like to spend some time making up my mind on that point though. Both of them feel kind of "bread and butter" to me as FX go. I know they can go beyond that, but just the individual modules have that kind of feel to me. As such, unless I want to do something way out there, or want to combine a bunch of FX I use regularly into one FX slot, I'm always drawn back to separate FX apps I love.

But ... comparatively in ways not related to your question:

• Something about loading up a simple, specifically customized UI with multiple FX in it appeals to me. +NuRack
    • There's not a lot of visual cues to routing in the left-right scheme of Drambo. NuRack lets me arrange things in a way that makes a little more sense to me. It is also more flexible about controls ordering and hiding. +NuRack
    • I spend a stupid amount of time customizing the UI arrangement in NuRack, and every time I open a rack I see something I want to tweak. +Drambo
    • The possibilities for modulation, p-locks, etc. etc. in Drambo are huge. +Drambo

So ... the answer for me is both are best. Sometimes I really wish I was more of a "favorites" guy. I'd get more done.

• @wim said:
    I can't comment on the comparative quality of the FX. I would like to spend some time making up my mind on that point though. Both of them feel kind of "bread and butter" to me as FX go. I know they can go beyond that, but just the individual modules have that kind of feel to me. As such, unless I want to do something way out there, or want to combine a bunch of FX I use regularly into one FX slot, I'm always drawn back to separate FX apps I love.

• Something about loading up a simple, specifically customized UI with multiple FX in it appeals to me. +NuRack
    • There's not a lot of visual cues to routing in the left-right scheme of Drambo. NuRack lets me arrange things in a way that makes a little more sense to me. It is also more flexible about controls ordering and hiding. +NuRack
    • I spend a stupid amount of time customizing the UI arrangement in NuRack, and every time I open a rack I see something I want to tweak. +Drambo
    • The possibilities for modulation, p-locks, etc. etc. in Drambo are huge. +Drambo

So ... the answer for me is both are best. Sometimes I really wish I was more of a "favorites" guy. I'd get more done.

I load NuRack into Zenbeats, get a sequence or beat going and then just try different combinations of effects with instant feedback. It’s fun and it’s not overly complicated for my feeble brain. The only downside is ZB doesn’t do multi-channel fx yet. But that’s not a deal-breaker for me. Maybe the fx are not always top of the line but when you get a bunch of stuff going on at once the subtleties are pretty subtle. FWIW 😎👍🏼

• Oh wow, this is quite the update. It’s getting very interesting now

• TalkBox has only a single input. Can anyone explain how to use the carriers in addition to the original signal?

• How is the “New option in Settings to enable rack switching using MIDI” any different than what wa s there before? Except just the option to turn it off...? Could we PLEASE just get this as an assignable AU parameter!? Kind of silly to force one to use that mapping only...

• This is an interesting update. I was hoping 4Pockets would expand the "Nurack consept" to include some capability of modular instrument creation. I just threw together a quick instrument using the Brass module, and made a cool mellotron-type sound using a classic filter with it. I could only get dependable poly up to 3 notes before sporadic dropouts.

It would be cool if 4Pockets took this idea to the next level and added oscillator, ADSR, Midi note/gate connectivity... Basically the ability to design custom instruments and synths as well as effects. :)

• edited August 2020

Maybe someone mentioned/asked this already: those of us that bought many/all of the separate 4Pockets AUv3 fx, isnt this a bit of a buzzkill that they’ve now been combined and sold as a single app? Kinda wished I’d waited for this, but who knew?

• wimwim
    edited August 2020

I don't feel that way at all. I got the use out of the FX I have for many months before this. I can still use them separately when I want something quicker and simpler. I don't regret having bought similar FX from other developers. I don't regret having bought miRack and Drambo, which can be used to do the same kind of thing as NuRack. And all cheap as coffee, including this one.

No buzzkill whatsoever for me.

• Every time I buy another reverb I think: "Why did I buy all these other reverbs?" Same thing with a lot of synth purchases and drum machines and DAW's and Guitar Tuners and iPhones and Computers and 40 years of collecting stuff I never use again.

• @Littlewoodg said:
    Maybe someone mentioned/asked this already: those of us that bought many/all of the separate 4Pockets AUv3 fx, isnt this a bit of a buzzkill that they’ve now been combined and sold as a single app? Kinda wished I’d waited for this, but who knew?

Kinda where I’m at. Nothing against NuRack but currently I already own (most of) the modules as individual apps. Wouldn’t call it a buzzkill but unless I see a killer feature I’ll wait for Black Friday.

• @wim said:
    I can't comment on the comparative quality of the FX. I would like to spend some time making up my mind on that point though. Both of them feel kind of "bread and butter" to me as FX go. I know they can go beyond that, but just the individual modules have that kind of feel to me. As such, unless I want to do something way out there, or want to combine a bunch of FX I use regularly into one FX slot, I'm always drawn back to separate FX apps I love.

P-locks are definitely interesting, but I’m guessing you can achieve something similar with NuRack “sequencer”l haven’t tried it yet.
    I know exactly what you mean about NuRacks UI arrangement. As soon as I saw it I knew I’d spend endless time on it making a preset perfect only to add some eq later on and have to redo the whole thing. As long as they are “your” racks and you know what you’re after, I don’t mind having loads of controls, I’ll just tweak what I want. So yes, useful as it may be, I’m not even trying to spare me the frustration.
    I don’t own Drambo yet but my gut tells me that Fx sound quality in NuRack is better. Just cos it’s focused on that, it makes sense, also because all the effects are derived from 4pockets previous apps so I’m guessing there was more attention to detail there. I’m talking exclusively about processing audio with effects, I know Drambo is more versatile.

• Any place where NuRack users are sharing presets?. Something Patchstorage.com or a forum... it’d be nice to explore and check out some elaborated or experimental racks.

• From 4pockets facebook:

I just wanted to make everyone aware that as of Mon 10th Aug the price of NuRack will be increasing from $9.99 to $12.99. This is in part due to the number of additional modules I have added and will continue to add in the forthcoming months.

I have so many ideas and improvements I want to add over time that I have to justify the additional time and effort I'm putting into this product.

It is a great product now and the current price is an absolute bargain, but it can be so much more in the future. I don't really like the idea of In-App purchases as a way around this. If you've already bought the product you will continue to benefit from the updates, otherwise now is a good time to take the leap of faith.

Finally, this is a modular app, although you don't have to be a scientific whiz kid in order to use it. I realise that many people don't want to spend time designing interfaces, and I'm here to say you don't have to in order to get the most out of the app. I plan on releasing a video in the near future focusing on its use for none techies.

Have a great weekend and stay safe.

• Thanks as always @White for keeping us all so up to date here.

• And then a dollar off, and then back to full price, and then a dollar off... :joy:

Just kidding! This is a killer app by one of the hardest working devs. Love it.

• **Question or suggestion **
    I’m experimenting with parallel effects, using splitters to create dry/wet paths. I’m trying to implement a wet/dry knob/ for a “shimmer” effect. So I can determine the % of dry and wet signal.
    Mixers and splitters have “Level 1”, “Level 2” ... but this is not really a wet/dry scenario, where % must add to 100%. In other words if Level1 (dry) is 0.8 , level2 (wet) is 0.2.
    Here’s a visual representation of what I’m trying to achieve. How a single slider would translate to levels... (all wet, all dry, 50% wet 50% dry)

Unless I’m mistaken this is currently not possible.
    I tried a way around this using a x-y pad to set levels, but you can only assign one value to vertical axis...
    I believe what I’m asking for is a knob/slider/pad where 2 values can be assigned to a single control, and where you can assign a negative value to one of the asssigned controls.
    Given my example before...
    wet/dry knob would be assigned to Splitter level 1 (dry) and Splitter level 2 (wet) , but level 2 in an inverted fashion. This multiple assign I believe would be very useful for other scenarios.

• Version 1.15 is out:

Added an Invert option to the 'Velocity Control' module.
    Added a feedback module which allows you to create feedback loops.
    Added an option to disable smooth knob/fader automation to reduce CPU load.
    Added a Vocoder module.
    Added a Sawtooth Synth module.
    Added the ability to auto hide components that did not exist in the saved rack file.
    Added 'Mute' and 'Power' button modules to the 'Other' category. Add these to the end of an effect chain for global power and mutes.
    Added an ON/OFF button to the Noise generator.

• Hmmm...

This latest update can eventually 'kill' the audio output in AUM?!?!

I put nuRack MIDI FX in the audio effects slot, added the new Sawtooth Synth played with it for a while, decided to add a delay module in nuRack and BOOM...
    ...the meters in AUM still move but there is no audio at all?!

Removed nuRack from the effects slot, cleared the AUM session and Audio is still dead...

After restarting AUM audio is back again...

Tried the same modules and now it works as it's supposed to work...
    ...hopefully this is a 'one time issue' but if the audio goes dead more often it's either AUM that needs an update or something is very fishy.(Might be the dreaded 'clipping thing' that makes Core Audio bail at times).

Time to explore further...
    ...there seems to be a display bug in the Stereo Delay module, even with sync is set the delay time is shown in seconds...

What's next a 'drone oscillator' with PWM? :D

Oh well, maybe I'm just too picky at times or something...

Cheers!

• edited August 2020

@Samu said:
    Hmmm...

This latest update can eventually 'kill' the audio output in AUM?!?!

I put nuRack MIDI FX in the audio effects slot, added the new Sawtooth Synth played with it for a while, decided to add a delay module in nuRack and BOOM...
    ...the meters in AUM still move but there is no audio at all?!

I was also able to kill the audio using the sawtooth synth. No extra fx.

Can anyone tell me what the feedback module does?. Can’t figure out how to use it or what it’s for. It’d be nice if all these great new additions and updates included presets to showcase them.

Which brings me to... how come there’s no place where people share their NuRack presets and racks?. I’d be very interested to see what people are doing.

NuRack is awesome, Cheers.

• @tahiche said:

I was also able to kill the audio using the sawtooth synth. No extra fx.

Good to hear I'm not alone. A nice touch is that turning up the mix knobs creates a nice square wave and detuning it slightly creates a square wave with pulse width modulation...

Can anyone tell me what the feedback module does?. Can’t figure out how to use it or what it’s for. It’d be nice if all these great new additions and updates included presets to showcase them.

No feedback showcases, but one way to use it would be to run the reverb thru a pitch shifter and feed it back to the reverb for home-made shimmer :)

• edited August 2020

@tahiche There’s 2 new presets that I can see..
    -Shimmer Reverb with Feedback
    -Synth Vocoder