Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Sound Design Challenge - Mela has won the pennant!

It was closer than I thought it would be, but Mela Synth & FX is the winner of our June poll:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/39660/poll-sound-design-challenge-the-rebirth/p1

The idea is that all you wonderful and inventive people post your creations in this thread. Remember that you can also create AUv3 presets for the FX part. At the end I’ll collate it into one, hopefully massive, preset pack.

I wanted to keep the challenge period relatively short so the aim is to close by Thursday, July 9th. That should leave time for our American friends to sober up sufficiently after the Independence Day celebrations, while the French are not yet completely delirious due to Bastille Day. Nothing is set in stone though.

Happy tweaking!

@Nikolozi

Comments

• Awesome! Cool to have this again here around.

• thanks for organising, I'll try to set some time aside for sound design in Mela :)

• i’ll contribute! where do we send our presets to share? will there be one big file?

• @Philandering_Bastard you don't mention the British because they're always on the piss, I assume? 😂

• @Gavinski said:
    @Philandering_Bastard you don't mention the British because they're always on the piss, I assume? 😂

a) this is true
    b) we have The Boris so everyday day is one big funfair 🥳

• @reasOne said:
    i’ll contribute! where do we send our presets to share? will there be one big file?

Fantas!* Share a link to this thread and I’ll compile the results and post it to Dropbox (probably).

*typo, but I keep it because Fantas.

• Looking forward to this - and have already made a few usable patches - but...

How the hell do I export my patches from Mela?

• @tk32 said:
    Looking forward to this - and have already made a few usable patches - but...

Awesome!
    https://nikolozi.com/blog/artist-presets-for-mela

I did come up with three or so

• Thanks @david_2017

you might get to hear my pitiful patches after all

• @tk32 said:
    Looking forward to this - and have already made a few usable patches - but...

Right-swipe on the patch name. This opens an export dialogue.

• edited June 2020

@Philandering_Bastard said:
    Right-swipe on the patch name. This opens an export dialogue.

thanks.

Here’s my first patch ‘Ghost Keys’:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/v77680l2ym3o9xu/tk32: Ghost Keys.melainstrument?dl=0

• wait...no Drambo??!!

• @rms13 said:
    wait...no Drambo??!!

No. Dibs on the patch name tho.

• Is Mela a good synth for making own patches? I need to step out of Magellan 2 and Sunrizer for a bit.

• @Bill_Brasky Personally, it's becoming my #1 synth for making patches. The ease of use of the interface, the modulation options, and the filter selection is up there with Zeeon. Synthmaster One is the most powerful, but Mela is probably the most fun and flowy synth on iOS for designing patches.

The only things you can't modulate are the Attack, Decay, Sustain, Release, and the Modulation Intensity parameters, but I asked Nikolozi if he'd be willing to add the modulation intensity parameters, and he said he would. Since the ADSR would be the only things left to modulate, I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up adding those, too. Zeeon allows you to modulate those, but it doesn't allow you to modulate the FX parameters, and Mela does allow that. Mela also has curved envelopes, looping envelopes, the new phase distortion oscillator, and XY pads for setting the filter and FX parameters. It's awesome. 10/10 synth.

• For anyone else who's unable to import using "Open in...", try using Slide Over + drag 'n' drop.

Here's a link to my first preset submission, "Cloud Factory".
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_SS0nKR5lmOClSLezxLOOmSjEToUakg_/view?usp=drivesdk

And here's a 24 second long sound demo. (I added my screenname to the preset's title after recording the video.)

• Are we doing onsie twosies then or share a batch?

• Drag and drop is good, but seems you have to do them one by one?!

• Ah, i think actually it does allow you to batch select from the files app to drag in. When you try it, it looks like nothing happens, but seems they do go in there. As a result I now have triplicate of the 90 or so presets I just added 😂

• Drag an drop all of them at once and you are good. Its a bliss :) @Gavinski

I think Mela ist right now still in sale for $5 and Niko is really nailing these updates. I think we are at 1.7 right now and please take a watch of the provided and released updates. Really really cool.

And yes, its really a fun synth to make patches with and I think somehow its a really good synth to rebirth this party

• edited June 2020

I made a comment a few days ago that the sound wasn’t anything to write home about.. but I’d like to rescind that statement now. Mela can definitely carve a place in your VA synth arsenal. Whereas DRC is pure warmth, and Zeeon is electricity raw, Mela is beautifully crisp. There’s something about the sound that is delicate, and cuts through a mix with beautiful precision. Electric piano / keys sounds just pour out of this one. I’ll try to take part in the challenge, but what I’m gonna do first is whip up 4 monophonic instances in Aum’s fx slot, and poly chain them with 4x iVCS3 VCOs as the sound source 😎

• @aleyas Very well said. I love how it sounds like a digital synth with analog inspiration, rather than trying to sound as close to analog as possible. Magellan 2 is similar in that regard. The timbre of Zeeon makes it more well-rounded, but it also makes me wish I had a hardware version. I do think it's easier to see the full potential of Mela if you make presets that play to its strengths, rather than trying to make a Moog bass or something like that. Pairing it with a similarly crisp reverb also helps.

It doesn't have the sound to replace every tool in your arsenal like DRC or iMonoPoly, but it would probably be easier for him to add more analog-sounding options, than for another synth to replace its whole interface with Mela's perfect UI.

Haven't really tried using it to make FX chain presets. I'd be curious to see what you come up with.

• @Skyblazer said:
    @Bill_Brasky Personally, it's becoming my #1 synth for making patches. The ease of use of the interface, the modulation options, and the filter selection is up there with Zeeon. Synthmaster One is the most powerful, but Mela is probably the most fun and flowy synth on iOS for designing patches.

The only things you can't modulate are the Attack, Decay, Sustain, Release, and the Modulation Intensity parameters, but I asked Nikolozi if he'd be willing to add the modulation intensity parameters, and he said he would. Since the ADSR would be the only things left to modulate, I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up adding those, too. Zeeon allows you to modulate those, but it doesn't allow you to modulate the FX parameters, and Mela does allow that. Mela also has curved envelopes, looping envelopes, the new phase distortion oscillator, and XY pads for setting the filter and FX parameters. It's awesome. 10/10 synth.

You are right! I bought it last night and it has got some beautifully rich harmonics, a thick filter and some good modulation options. Excellent recommendation!

• Ask him to put sub menus in the preset manager

• @Turntablist said:
    Ask him to put sub menus in the preset manager

That would be reaaaally helpful @Nikolozi

• i wish you could change presets without having to open the window, but just scroll thru from the main synth page while jammn

• @reasOne @Nikolozi yes that is also something I would like to see

• edited June 2020

@reasOne said:
    i wish you could change presets without having to open the window, but just scroll thru from the main synth page while jammn

Do the twist.... ehhh in mean, do the swipe
    Left and right... yeah really hidden monster feature :)

• @david_2017 said:

@reasOne said:
    i wish you could change presets without having to open the window, but just scroll thru from the main synth page while jammn

10 points to Davidor!

• @david_2017 said:

@reasOne said:

Ha! Really? Nice tip