Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

FabFilter Saturn released

Comments

• It does a hell of a lot, McD is not wrong that this can easily replace a bunch of lesser fx apps

• @noob said:
    Tried the same preset (above). Ipad Pro 2020 11” / iOS 14 b1 / 48khz / 512 buffer
    *normal 30%
    * 8x 45-50%
    * x32 -110% (CrackleVille)

Excellent! I really wish more info like this was available for all AUv3s.

Its worth noting that with my lazy test I started ontop of an already complicated Aum patch, so the % before Saturn was pretty high. With your test @noob do you know what the % was beforehand.

• edited June 2020

Also I've noticed a LOT of cpu spiking and glitching when opening up Saturn and/or moving the plugin around. Way more than other plugins as far as I've noticed... I hope some of this can be improved in future releases as it makes tweaking kinda scary.

Edit: I added a post on their forum about it https://www.fabfilter.com/forum/6261/ios-saturn-2-auv3-graphic-based-cpu-spiking

Edit 2: Its really only bad for me when running a buffer of 512 or less.

Edit 3: The more I try other plugins the more I realize the cpu it's not just Saturn. Heck, Grind sometimes takes more when its in the foreground. Saturn probably still spikes pretty high though. This is all with these vague cpu %s anyways...

• edited June 2020

@quartzite I read your post tried to load aum to 29% withthe help of the cpuhog moog...
    so should give you pretty decent numbers
    BTW 2020 ipad pro is buttersmooth when moving windows and guis ( 8 core gpu)... on my ipad gen6 vanilla its a nightmare moving objects (cubasis 3 for ex)
    all kinds of spikes and jumps..

• @noob said:
    @quartzite I read hour post tried to load aum to 29% withthe help of the cpuhog moog...
    so should give you pretty decent numbers
    BTW 2020 ipad pro is buttersmooth when moving windows and guis ( 8 core gpu)

Ah great! Also dang that's tempting me to upgrade... but I'll probably hold off for now...

• I ran into some pops & crackles in Cubasis 3 running 3 instances along with the internal synth (ipadOS 13.5 on an Air 3).

I ran an 808 kick through the first channel with Saturn 2 and by adjusting the freq. & feedback got some cool effects off the root note of the 808. After I froze that track the glitches stopped so maybe using some of the deeper Saturn 2 features will spike the system.

Another note is I am not a fan of Cubasis 3's CPU display section as it says CPU and then DSP below it. On these experiments I did the CPU was always low but the DSP bar was always zipping around low to almost full.

Maybe I'm forgetting what the deal was with those meters but I'd really like a global CPU gauge that tells me what is going on with everything. I don't know if that will necessitate another app or not, but the Auria gauges seemed to be much more realistic.

Overall Saturn 2 is just brilliant. The tube & tape settings on subtle things like bass guitar and acoustic guitar are just so cool. I made the same point in the Nembrini thread re: the apps price point; on desktop Saturn 2 is $154, on iOS it's under $30. Exact same piece of software, exact same code.

I know money is tight especially with the world in the utter chaos it's in now. But to me that's kind of the point: when this world & life is so fucked it inspires me even more to dig in to my creativity and the escape music provides. Saturn 2 is just a tool to that end, but it's like a rusty handsaw compared to a diamond blade chainsaw; I want the best tools and life is very short. It it was a $150 app yeah I'm out too...but it's less than $30. For what it is, it's well worth it.

And no, I'm not saying "The family may be on popcorn and water all week but goddamn it I've got me a bitchin' saturation plug-in ya'all!" either. Just that it isn't an arm and a leg... Maybe a toe or two, but who needs them.

• ... and there’s more...

King

• @KING said:

... and there’s more...

King

Saved that pic just because it looks so cool...

• @KING said:

... and there’s more...

King

Oh damn that DSP. What iPad you on?

• edited June 2020

@Fingolfinzzz said:

@KING said:

... and there’s more...

King

Ha!

Knew that question was coming..

Don’t watch that! I personally would not use these plugins in this way, it was just for demonstration/‘visual’ purposes - (I enjoy promoting good stuff).
    (For me) Committing to Audio - or - freezing is the way with Saturn, since v1. - (same with Pro-MB). The FF apps are worth every effort.

Saturn 2 by itself was fluctuating around 30-40%! (Quality dependent of course)
    On default/clean presets, it’s between 10 ->14%, as a starting point.
    Tried to catch the screen grab when the DSP was in the 80’s (%) - (but that wasn’t the main goal!)

mini2 - (gotz to get me a 5)..

Enjoy..

King

• edited June 2020

Pretty like Money!

Alien Currency!

King

• @KING said:

@Fingolfinzzz said:

@KING said:

... and there’s more...

King

Ha!

Knew that question was coming..

Don’t watch that! I personally would not use these plugins in this way, it was just for demonstration/‘visual’ purposes - (I enjoy promoting good stuff).
    (For me) Committing to Audio - or - freezing is the way with Saturn, since v1. - (same with Pro-MB). The FF apps are worth every effort.

Saturn 2 by itself was fluctuating around 30-40%! (Quality dependent of course)
    On default/clean presets, it’s between 10 ->14%, as a starting point.
    Tried to catch the screen grab when the DSP was in the 80’s (%) - (but that wasn’t the main goal!)

mini2 - (gotz to get me a 5)..

Enjoy..

King

I’m in the same boat haha, rocking an air 1 and a mini 2 myself. I definitely need an upgrade as well, I usually have to save my fabfilter stuff for when I’m in the mixing stages working solely with audio files

• edited June 2020

BTW: SATURatioN 2, is my number 1 distortion app, as was saturATIOn 1.

Never really used much saturation before Saturn 1 via Auria.

But this FF plugin is much more than just that.

Also:
    A Filter.
    A Mangler.
    A Auto-Panner
    A Glitch Machine.
    A Guitar Amp/Fx Rig.
    A Warmer and a Cooler.
    A Sound Designer and Shaper.

It could even be used as a 24 band equalizer.

Have I missed anything - of course - because it does so much!

Recently purchased Looperator - I'll most likely comment on that thread about that.

I only use iOS for music these days - FabFilter and Sugar Bytes have been my long time favourites - to this day!

I Am An Artist.

Bless

King

• edited June 2020

also try this for fun- im using ext seq to play the midi in KEYB track module to ..umm..pitch and mangle the same source.. if it makes sense .. ipad pro 2020 ,x8

• edited June 2020

@noob said:
    also try this for fun- im using ext seq move the midi in KEYB track module to ..umm..pitch and mangle the same source.. if it makes sense

It makes no sense at all (non-sense) (kidding) - and because of that, it might just be brilliant. ha
    Good to see folks enjoying this app now as an AUv3 (v2 anyway).

King

Added: Don't have Chameleon myself, so many great and wonderful app (and combo's).
    Love it!

• Would like to thank Fab for the number of, useful implementation/organization of, nested folders for, and carefully named exposed AU parameters for this app. There must be 1000, but they are easy to find and use. Brilliant. Makes midi control a breeze, even in a semi modular (number of bands and different types) interface. And it sounds incredible. Very happy here!

• Thanks for pointing out about the parameters, I will definitely show this next time I include Saturn 2 in a vid. So many developers just throw hundreds of parameters down without the slightest attempt to organize them, it is an absolute nightmare to find things. Even their naming is often subpar, never mind actually taking the time to organize them into nested folders, as you say. Bloody brilliant. Thanks Fab Filter indeed! This is the level of attention to quality and user experience that we need. Let me post a few pics showing how beautifully these parameters have been organized:

I have also suggested to our dear @j_liljedahl that he could maybe add a search bar in the AUM parameters to help us with those rambling poorly organized lists of parameters that less careful devs sometimes inflict on us, that would be great, I think.

• FabFilter: - So nice - I bought it twice!

King

• Hahaha. Don't mention that, you'll put others off buying. But yeah, that was messed up, I'm glad I am didn't have to do this.

• And I would buy it again!

King

• edited June 2020

Nothing but Love for this company/apps.

King

• World!

One Love!

King

• No prob! I was stunned, and honestly didn’t even know it was possible. Such a good example to other devs. Between the macro/xy/etc controls in combination with such an extensive parameter list, this allows for the best of both worlds: easy macro automation/midi control, while a common sense and ~useful~ way to have some midi controls ‘hardwired’; I’m now working on a LCXL template for myself that will have a few bands fully setup for control (that will work for most instances) along with a set of controls for macros ready to go (for instance specific needs); made possible only because of how well thought out these are!

@Gavinski said:
    Thanks for pointing out about the parameters, I will definitely show this next time I include Saturn 2 in a vid. So many developers just throw hundreds of parameters down without the slightest attempt to organize them, it is an absolute nightmare to find things.

>

• Mela synth is another one that does a beautiful job with this. @Nikolozi 👏👏👏

• Very nice! I know some folks who have been giving Mela just about the highest praise possible. One I need to check out for sure!

• edited June 2020

yeh thats why the gui inside EQ ish plugins wins over naked parameters in AUM methinks..must see the dam thing..good to have both tho B)
    anyway a lil tip from FF; To let a sustain pedal control an envelope generator, use a MIDI source. Set the input to Controller, and the controller number to 64. Now, drag the source drag button for the MIDI source to the hold control point of the envelope generator, and set the slot level to maximum. Great way to live up the envelope

• It would be nice for someone to post a "Guitar Sounds from Saturn" video demo of this app. It generates some classic amp like tones that I can't get from the usual amp sim apps... like amps with shredded speakers that have no highs and sound warmly fuzzy
    but never fizzy: "ahh" trumps "ee" every time for me.

• @McD the last part of my vid has a guitar loop going through some of the guitar amp tones. The mid part has a sax treated with some of the 'colouring' effects

• @Gavinski said:
    @McD the last part of my vid has a guitar loop going through some of the guitar amp tones. The mid part has a sax treated with some of the 'colouring' effects

Excellent. Just running through the presets like that shows the amazing range of "emulations" this app provides in a single slot and it's very CPU conservative for what it
    offers tone wise so it can still be mod'ed with other tone enhancement apps like the DDMF's apps which add more colors. And an IR "cabinet" app before a finishing reverb.

It's a 5-star "Boutique Amp Builder" and worth the $30 to me to replace 5 $10 apps
    that consume more CPU and need hours to tweak. Like a Synth with good presets this
    hits the target for "time until playing" set up efficiency.