Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

FabFilter Saturn released

Comments

• @noob said:
    @johnfromberkeley edit; Saturn2 is not in a bundle yet. the old ff bundle will be reduced in price when you have one of the plugins in the bundle, can be some delay but should work when you hit buy. if you get robbed twice, better send a refund claim to apple https://reportaproblem.apple.com/

It's not about that, there was some reason why FF weren't able to count previous purchase of pro - Q 2 when buying the bundle, forget the details though, maybe sbd else can remember.

• Must resist temptation. Must...resist....temptation....to press....the "buy" button!

• edited June 2020

@ALB said:

@oat_phipps said:
    Some killer new distortion models, especially the tweed, british pop amps and then the new special fx and transformers. I wasn’t expecting this much of an improvement/new features. Well done. At last a suitable guitar amp solution for iOS.

Cleaner, non-metal amps as well? When you say British pop, do you mean Vox both clean and dirty?

Vox yes. There’s still quite a bit of distortion with them at 0 gain, the Vox rock one less so than the pop....I would call that almost ‘clean’ in my point of view since I play pretty softly, but you may want to hear some demos first to judge for yourself. I definitely won’t go so far as to say ‘pristine’. I’m trying to replicate “The Tube” preset from Saturn one that adds envelope followers and some other stuff to mimic better the dynamics of a tube amp. (Edit: the American Tweed is really the only one close to clean at 0 gain. I guess it is after all a distortion plug-in)

I will say I compared the tweed and voxes to my Strymon Iridium equivalents, and they compared nicely, except for some unnatural low end in the FF that gives it away from being a true amp replacement. Every setting found me having to drag the bass EQ to -8-10 db. But still far and away the best substitute when there’s no amp available.

• All fabfilter plugins are no brainer purchases, and having recently spent a small fortune buying the desktop creative bundle during a sale, the price of the exact same code on iOS is a steal. I honestly don’t mind having double purchased the plugins in both Auria and AUV3, as it wouldn’t have been overpriced even if it was $40-50 a pop.

The silver lining is that it sets the bar so high that you won’t be as compelled to buy other plugins that do similar things, unless they give you a VERY compelling reason to. If only fab plugins were released back when apple added AUV3 functionality, I would have saved a LOT of money.

• edited June 2020

funny fact with fabfilter is that i see no use in 90% of my old plugins..its cleaningtime :# then again..uknow..there are some like i never get rid of, stuff that in FX area

• Or just combine them 💥

@noob said:
    funny fact with fabfilter is that i see no use in 90% of my old plugins..its cleaningtime :# then again..uknow..there are some like i never get rid of, stuff that in FX area

• edited June 2020

@syrupcore said:
    waaaaaaant. Hoping this means Timeless will land evntually.

My guess is that they are going to wait for new versions of Timeless and Volcano before they release those on iOS, just like they did with Saturn.

So basically we'll have to wait for Timeless 3 and Volcano 2. I can live without Volcano, but Timeless is by far the best delay I've used.

• If you already have a bunch of the Nembrini amps and preamps, the eventide distortion, various bit crushers, fac bandit etc etc, could you basically cobble together all or most of what this could do?

• is this the reamp killer? haha that’s really the only thing i use to get saturation these days

• @reasOne said:
    is this the reamp killer? haha that’s really the only thing i use to get saturation these days

What these guys say its the end of too many apps... reAmp is the goto for saturation for me too. Maybe in a blackfriday sale I will cave and get another fab plug

• @david_2017 said:

@reasOne said:
    is this the reamp killer? haha that’s really the only thing i use to get saturation these days

What these guys say its the end of too many apps... reAmp is the goto for saturation for me too. Maybe in a blackfriday sale I will cave and get another fab plug

i waited forever to get reamp and finally pulled the trigger, i don’t know if i want it to be obsolete 🤣 plus i can’t afford every app i want, the list is long... if it goes on sale or some codes pop up i’ll fight to get one but for now i’ll just enjoy what others make with it... hopefully people will release some jams with it

• edited June 2020

Someone asked this question on the Fab forum:

Q: "Will Saturn 2 ios AUv3 be added to the bundle, I want to buy all together? thank you."

A: "Well, Saturn 2 of course doesn't fit into the Pro bundle. We might add a Creative bundle later once we have more of our Creative plug-ins available for iOS. We could do a Total bundle but we first need to investigate what happens when you add more apps to a bundle later on -- the App Store is quite inflexible in this regard. For now, Saturn 2 is a separate purchase for these reasons.

Cheers,

Frederik (FabFilter) — Jun 26, 2020"

King

• edited June 2020

@Gavinski said:
    If you already have a bunch of the Nembrini amps and preamps, the eventide distortion, various bit crushers, fac bandit etc etc, could you basically cobble together all or most of what this could do?

No not really (sorry).

• The transformer saturation is unique to iOS, at least until True Iron comes out.
    • 32x oversampling
    • The modulation options are in a league of their own
    • More algorithms than any other distortion or saturation plugin

It’s also much better than the original version.

• Thanks Richard, great to get an informed opinion 👍👍

• I don't think it makes ReAmp obsolete BTW, it's always nice to have different flavours of sauce. ReAmp and Reelbus are great at adding a little grit here and there.

• @iOSTRAKON said:
    App creates power and inspiration / will continue to be on everything

love the vibe of this song. very industrial. just curious what program or app do you use for your background animation? they are done very well

• I didn't find anything in the manual about how many 'saturators' can be added at once?
    (Like for some serious multi-band saturation).

• edited June 2020

I've had Saturn in Auria for years but this new version really is a different animal all together.

The plugins I missed from my laptop ProTools rig when I first got into iOS have all been brought to iOS in one form or another (save for a Melodyne style vocal tuning plugin). I wanted a top quality tube compressor for bus compression and now we have the DDMF MDE stuff.

I loved the FabFilter plugs available in Auria when I first started on iOS in 2015, they were what cinched it when I retired my laptop to the closet. But I quickly saw I wanted to use them everywhere, and with AU versions we got that.

The last remaining hold out was a really good J-37 type Waves Abbey Road style tape emulator. With Saturn 2 we have it. It's very subtle through iOS speakers but with monitors or headphones applying the warm tape algorithm on Instruments and the mix is just incredible. It really does sound like a good tape recording depending on what you feed through it. And you don't need much either.

A must buy.

• I will say that Saturn 2 eats up my iPad Pro 2017 pretty quick when running patches with multiple bands, especially running in 8x or 32x oversampling. I'm making space in my main Aum setup for it but something to keep in mind.

• I'm seriously wondering if more FF stuff is in the pipe-line...
    ...those testing are likely under NDA but a simple Yes/No would be enough for now...

Are we looking forward to Twin 3 and Timeless 3?

Then there are the 'Basic Plug-Ins' that could serve as entry level 'Promo Apps' to show what FF can do :D

• @oat_phipps said:

@ALB said:

@oat_phipps said:
    Some killer new distortion models, especially the tweed, british pop amps and then the new special fx and transformers. I wasn’t expecting this much of an improvement/new features. Well done. At last a suitable guitar amp solution for iOS.

Cleaner, non-metal amps as well? When you say British pop, do you mean Vox both clean and dirty?

Vox yes. There’s still quite a bit of distortion with them at 0 gain, the Vox rock one less so than the pop....I would call that almost ‘clean’ in my point of view since I play pretty softly, but you may want to hear some demos first to judge for yourself. I definitely won’t go so far as to say ‘pristine’. I’m trying to replicate “The Tube” preset from Saturn one that adds envelope followers and some other stuff to mimic better the dynamics of a tube amp. (Edit: the American Tweed is really the only one close to clean at 0 gain. I guess it is after all a distortion plug-in)

I will say I compared the tweed and voxes to my Strymon Iridium equivalents, and they compared nicely, except for some unnatural low end in the FF that gives it away from being a true amp replacement. Every setting found me having to drag the bass EQ to -8-10 db. But still far and away the best substitute when there’s no amp available.

Thanks for the detailed response. I got it, though it's expensive for an iOS app. I don't play super-clean, but my level of overdrive typically is late 70's era The Jam as opposed to grunge or metal. I didn't realize how multi-featured this was before opening and playing around with it, so no buyer's remorse. I do notice that it gets cpu intensive, especially when adding modulation envelopes and the like, so it doesn't completely replace everything else.

• Thank you! I use Lumafusion. I take the original screen recording and then add/edit FX and put it behind the unedited screen recording.

@eross said:

@iOSTRAKON said:
    App creates power and inspiration / will continue to be on everything

love the vibe of this song. very industrial. just curious what program or app do you use for your background animation? they are done very well

• agh very cool. i have lumasfusion. I’m gonna have to try it out. thanks

• @Samu said:
    I didn't find anything in the manual about how many 'saturators' can be added at once?
    (Like for some serious multi-band saturation).

You mean bands per plugin instance? I think it‘s 6 (at least on Desktop) - have not found any/different information for the iOS version (yet).

• @quartzite said:
    I will say that Saturn 2 eats up my iPad Pro 2017 pretty quick when running patches with multiple bands, especially running in 8x or 32x oversampling. I'm making space in my main Aum setup for it but something to keep in mind.

what do you mean running multiple bands? do mean multiple instances of saturn?

• @eross said:

@quartzite said:
    I will say that Saturn 2 eats up my iPad Pro 2017 pretty quick when running patches with multiple bands, especially running in 8x or 32x oversampling. I'm making space in my main Aum setup for it but something to keep in mind.

what do you mean running multiple bands? do mean multiple instances of saturn?

Saturn 2 can apply a different distortion (and modulation) to different frequency ranges in the same AUv3. The more frequency ranges you use in a preset, the more processor it uses.

• ohh, ok, thanks that makes more sense. after about how many do you notice issues with processing? i’m thinking of getting g the app, but little worried on crunching my ipad to hard

• @Samu said:
    I'm seriously wondering if more FF stuff is in the pipe-line...
    ...those testing are likely under NDA but a simple Yes/No would be enough for now...

Are we looking forward to Twin 3 and Timeless 3?

Then there are the 'Basic Plug-Ins' that could serve as entry level 'Promo Apps' to show what FF can do :D

If nothing else, I’d be completely satisfied if Timeless 2 or 3 is the only other plugin they bring over. Twin is nice and all, but I don’t think it brings much new to the table, stacked up against all the other great synths we have..but I’ve seen nothing remotely close to the depth of Fabfilters brilliant delay.

Volcano would be nice, but not sure it brings much that Pro-Q , WOW or any other great filter algo already does well.

• edited June 2020

Yes yes yes, and did I say... yes?

Edit: sorry just woke up, I was thinking of volcano, nevertheless... but nevermind me, carry on folks

• @eross said:
    ohh, ok, thanks that makes more sense. after about how many do you notice issues with processing? i’m thinking of getting g the app, but little worried on crunching my ipad to hard

Yesterday I bought it and had the time of my life :)
    I had two guitars, L and R, each running an instance with three bands active, each band with its own drag and drop modulation effect slot. Also there were a couple instances on the drums and when I was almost done I added one on the master channel and it felt good but thats when I felt maybe Im being too hard on the little tablet.
    All on ipad air 3 using cubasis 3.
    Ill post a music video later if it sounds like anything, it was late and I was stoned