Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Recording acoustic guitar into GarageBand via the iRig interface

My acoustic guitar is a Martin, with pickups installed by the shop where I bought it, with a single volume control. When I record via the iRig, GarageBand records it at a very low volume, even when I turn the volume switch on the guitar up to the maximum. Is there some setting I am missing here, or is the iRig not good for this use?

I was able to record something workable into GarageBand by using a Yamaha Compass Series acoustic-electric guitar, but only after turning up all of the pre-installed pickup controls to the maximum. But even then, it still isn't great. I would only expect poor or zero sound if the pickup controls were all turned right down.

Comments

• There are multiple models of iRig. Which one are you using?

Original iRig (probe to feedback) - iRig 2

iRig HD (now in version 2 - I have version 1)

Some of them have a volume control on the unit and if you missed that it will
    stay with a very low volume output.

• Could also be an active electronics issue. Sometimes this would happen when I plugged in my acoustic/ electric direct into a PA. Are the pickups battery powered?

• I have the iRig 1 (the one on the left hand side of your picture above).

I'll need to check the Martin - I can't remember if the shop said there was a battery in it or not, I'll need to take the strings off to check.

• I replaced the battery in the Martin - it hadn't been replaced in five years! I replaced it with a new battery, and the quality of the sound being recorded has improved, but not by much. So still the same problem I'm afraid.

• @backinhumanform said:
    I have the iRig 1 (the one on the left hand side of your picture above).

You will gain a huge boost in signal strength with a better input device.
    But it you are financially unable to address this issue you might consider
    a signal boosting pedal. There are a few and lot's of pedal knowledge sites and
    videos. Joyo and Behringer can get you a reasonably priced pedal to boost the signal
    and maybe even offer you some EQ controls which can be helpful in the way into
    the iPad.

I look into Amazon for refurbed products and have gotten some good deals that way
    on products that are more than I can spend at list price.

• edited July 2020

The most simple and efficient solution would be an Apogee Mic in front of the Martin.
    Any of the entry models (2nd hand) will do, not need for the 96k or Hype model.
    A pickup doesn't record the acoustic performance of the guitar's top wood.
    Some expensive systems have mixed microphone/piezo setups, but generally a pickup is for live amplification in the first place.

This is a cheap (X Series) Martin with a dynamic mic (5 bucks flea market), captured by an Alesis ioDock One, unprocessed. The mic is a Telefunken TD26 (same as Sennheiser MD402), once a standard accessory of consumer reel-to-reel tapes. The mic is very good for guitar recording, though.

• I agree with @Telefunky, a (condenser) mic placed in front of the guitar will give you a more natural recording of how the guitar really sounds - not the nasal sound you get from piezo pickups. I used an old Tascam IM2 for years (surprisingly good) before getting an Audio-Technica AT2020. You could also just experiment with the internal mic - Pete Johns gets good results as seen here.

• Thanks everyone.

It's a very good Martin, it's the OM21. It would make sense to have a good recording setup that would pick up the natural tone of the guitar. I can afford to spend a bit of money. But because of the place I live in, space is at a premium (I'm in a shared house with a small bedroom). So, the apogee mic would be a no-no for that reason.

I was considering something like the iRig Acoustic that I could clip to the sound hole of the Martin. Would this be better than the iRig HD2 that you mentioned? Is the HD2 for electric guitar rather than acoustic? Also, is there a problem with latency on either device? Or are there other (similar) recording devices you would recommend?

I've tried recording using the iPad's internal mic, but I haven't been impressed - it captures too much background noise and I don't have a good recording environment at home.

• If the internal mic captured too much background then you didn't set it to measurement mode (in settings of your revirding app).
    In 'normal mode' it auto-adjusts gain (therefore the noise) and it has a significant low cut.
    It's quite a good mic delivering a 60dB signal to noise ratio (in measurement mode with manual fixed gain setting), but as an omni (directional character) it will capture a lot if room.

The more stuffed your room - the better... at least compared to clean walls.
    But you can improve it a lot with relatively few effort by 2 mobile shield walls that you put in an arc shape in front of you and the instrument, suggested size 3ft square, 4 inches thick from a foam called Basotect. It's very light and a standard in acoustic treatment.

In that case you should have something in your back, say a couch or a book shelf.
    Otherwise add a 3rd shield behind you.
    Basotect is rather expensive, but easy and clean in handling (looks quite good, too).
    Ideally you put those blocks on stands to lift the 1-2 ft above floor level.
    Stow away unde bed after use... ;)

• Thanks for the reply @Telefunky. tbh I'm not prepared to spend the time organising the room, especially if there is a simpler solution.

I was considering something like the iRig Acoustic that I could clip to the sound hole of the Martin. Would this be better than the iRig HD2 that you mentioned? Is the HD2 for electric guitar rather than acoustic? Also, is there a problem with latency on either device? Or are there other (similar) recording devices that you would recommend?

• Yea I was thinking mic it up, if you are not going to go the camera connection/interface route

• The iRig HD2 is for an e-guitar pickup, but should handle the system on your Martin equally well.
    Just checked the specs of the iRig Acoustic and it indeed solves most of the room problems.
    Btw it has the same microphone type as used in iPhones/iPads, also featuring a DSP processor to handle the specific location of the device.
    According to reviews it's a significant enhancement - if connected directly the (raw) sound is much weaker and needs tweaking in the DAW.

Btw I used a similiar strategy in the recording example above: the mic is only 1-2 inches above the guitar top... a challenge on it's own to keep the distance constant while playing.
    The iRig Acoustic will ne much more convenient - it's probably your best option in the $100 price range.

Latency is never a problem with acoustic guitar: the instrument will always be heard ;)
    If there's a displacement on the recorded track, just shift it (the amount will be constant).

• I mostly will use a condenser mic to record acoustic as it gives a much more natural sound.

However, if I do use the pickups on any of my acoustic instruments I will always record through my Tech21 SansAmp Para Driver - it will boost the signal and keep it somewhat natural sounding.

• @Telefunky said:
    The iRig HD2 is for an e-guitar pickup, but should handle the system on your Martin equally well.
    Just checked the specs of the iRig Acoustic and it indeed solves most of the room problems.
    Btw it has the same microphone type as used in iPhones/iPads, also featuring a DSP processor to handle the specific location of the device.
    According to reviews it's a significant enhancement - if connected directly the (raw) sound is much weaker and needs tweaking in the DAW.

Btw I used a similiar strategy in the recording example above: the mic is only 1-2 inches above the guitar top... a challenge on it's own to keep the distance constant while playing.
    The iRig Acoustic will ne much more convenient - it's probably your best option in the $100 price range.

Latency is never a problem with acoustic guitar: the instrument will always be heard ;)
    If there's a displacement on the recorded track, just shift it (the amount will be constant).

Thanks this is very helpful.

• edited July 2020

@michael_m said:
    I mostly will use a condenser mic to record acoustic as it gives a much more natural sound.

However, if I do use the pickups on any of my acoustic instruments I will always record through my Tech21 SansAmp Para Driver - it will boost the signal and keep it somewhat natural sounding.

Yes, for a piezo pickup you need a very high input impedance, which that pedal offers. Unless your acoustic instrument’s pickup system already has a preamp that takes care of it, then it’s less of an issue.

• @backinhumanform said:
    Thanks for the reply @Telefunky. tbh I'm not prepared to spend the time organising the room, especially if there is a simpler solution.

I was considering something like the iRig Acoustic that I could clip to the sound hole of the Martin. Would this be better than the iRig HD2 that you mentioned? Is the HD2 for electric guitar rather than acoustic? Also, is there a problem with latency on either device? Or are there other (similar) recording devices that you would recommend?

I have the irig acoustic stage and it can do a great job. But the irig acoustic mic (not stage version) still plugs into the headphone jack, right? The stage version isn’t an interface anyway, you’d still need the hd2 or other interface. If you don’t want to use the onboard pickup then you’ll need an interface with a mic preamp and a mic. I don’t like the direct piezo sound either, so I understand.

But, if you have a room that is really not suited for recording and you try to fix that with a mic, you’re going to keep being disappointed. You’d be better off recording outside than in an untreated echoey room.

• @mrufino1 I was referring to the 'Stage' version, which is marked 'class compliant interface' in it's specs.
    But according to your description the processed signal is not delivered via USB, but on the line out socket only.
    USB then carrying the 'weak' raw signal (as mentioned in a review) - is that correct ?
    Confusing thing...

• @Telefunky said:
    @mrufino1 I was referring to the 'Stage' version, which is marked 'class compliant interface' in it's specs.
    But according to your description the processed signal is not delivered via USB, but on the line out socket only.
    USB then carrying the 'weak' raw signal (as mentioned in a review) - is that correct ?
    Confusing thing...

Actually, I may have that wrong. I will check today. I bought it for use when I do sound, I don’t think I ever checked if the USB records. You are probably right. In that case, the irig stage would do a great job, although it will still pick up room sound.