Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Cubasis 3.1.1 available

2»

Comments

• If you want great hardware, go for Android.

If you want great software, apps and ecosystem, go for iOS / iPadOS.

• I guess the Android thingies can be hooked to a 4K external TV and with keyboard and mouse it's a pretty neat combo...
    ...wonder if iPadOS14/iOS14 will support extended display over USB-C, currently it's only mirroring...
    (Ie. mixer/piano/pads etc. on the 'device screen' and editor/time-line on the extended screen as an example).

I'm checking all relevant WWDC'20 session but a 'device manager' for Displays and Audio-Devices on iPad or iPhone seem pretty far away...

• What about in-app purchases if I upgrade to cubasis 3?

• @Proto said:
    What about in-app purchases if I upgrade to cubasis 3?

There's an IAP transfer function from CB2 to CB3, worked without issues for me.
    Just keep both versions installed in order to do the transfer and transfer of projects if needed.
    (Ie. export project from CB2 and do 'Open In...' to CB3).

• So I’ve been a Barkfilterist for a while now. Used to be a Fabfilterist before that. But hey I feel like I can get an even more awesome final result using this new Master Strip with minor tweaking of presets (the Subtle one) than anything else. Anybody else with a similar life-changing experience?

• @NoiseHorse said:
    So I’ve been a Barkfilterist for a while now. Used to be a Fabfilterist before that. But hey I feel like I can get an even more awesome final result using this new Master Strip with minor tweaking of presets (the Subtle one) than anything else. Anybody else with a similar life-changing experience?

Yes. Really pleased. I've never had much luck with compression but the multi-band compressor is great and starting to gel.
    After a rocky start with version 3 things are shaping up nicely. Still wish they'd give us a new freebie synth though... Maybe something unapologetically digital in its outlook? And a bloody drum machine style grid!

• @FPC said:

@NoiseHorse said:
    So I’ve been a Barkfilterist for a while now. Used to be a Fabfilterist before that. But hey I feel like I can get an even more awesome final result using this new Master Strip with minor tweaking of presets (the Subtle one) than anything else. Anybody else with a similar life-changing experience?

Yes. Really pleased. I've never had much luck with compression but the multi-band compressor is great and starting to gel.
    After a rocky start with version 3 things are shaping up nicely. Still wish they'd give us a new freebie synth though... Maybe something unapologetically digital in its outlook? And a bloody drum machine style grid!

Yes I’ve never understood why there are a host of great sounding DMs as IAPs but no way to sequence them easily.

• Anyone having Beat Hawk crash using the Cubasis keyboard? Just had this happen multiple times, iPad Air 3 256gb, iPadOS 13.5.1. Also, search in help doesn't work on my iPad. Functions fine on my iPhone 11 with same iOS version. Known issue @LFS?

• If there's one 'synth' I would love to see built-in into Cubasis it is really the full blown Cubase Sampler Track with drag'n'drop of audio/midi events etc. etc.

• @dendy said:
    @LFS just curious, what is average latency of Cubasis on Android ?

Hi @dendy,

It depends on the device in use.

Given a well performing device, latency is pretty comparable to iOS and works great to trigger instruments in real-time.

Love our engineers, was not expecting this...

Best,
    Lars

• @Proto said:
    What about in-app purchases if I upgrade to cubasis 3?

Hi @Proto,

What do you mean by this?

Best,
    Lars

• @LFS said:

@dendy said:

Hi @dendy,

Given a well performing device, latency is pretty comparable to iOS and works great to trigger instruments in real-time.

Best,
    Lars

Sounds good... are there particular devices you can suggest as tested one which are working OK ? Not planning to switch from iOS to android :))) but friend of mine asked me to suggest some solid android device where Cubasis 3 will run with good latency ...

• @lfs, how does the CB3 icon differ from 2? They seem the same. When you export from Dropbox, for example, will it show separate icons for 2 and 3?

• this might be slightly ot question, but is there anything that works better on cubasis 2 than cubasis 3. is cubasis 3 better than cubasis 2 in all aspects?

• edited June 2020

@dendy said:

@LFS said:

@dendy said:

Hi @dendy,

Best,
    Lars

Sounds good... are there particular devices you can suggest as tested one which are working OK ? Not planning to switch from iOS to android :))) but friend of mine asked me to suggest some solid android device where Cubasis 3 will run with good latency ...

The (I think) forbidden-in-USA Huawei is tight latency-wise and is a beautiful object. The latest MediaPad, I have the mini...Cubasis 3, as well as other favorites are running with very low latency

• @Littlewoodg said:

@dendy said:

@LFS said:

@dendy said:

Hi @dendy,

Best,
    Lars

The (I think) forbidden-in-USA Huawei is tight latency-wise and is a beautiful object. The latest MediaPad, I have the mini...Cubasis 3, as well as other favorites are running with very low latency

Good to know, thanks for sharing @Littlewoodg!

• @Lil_Stu07 said:
    Anyone having Beat Hawk crash using the Cubasis keyboard? Just had this happen multiple times, iPad Air 3 256gb, iPadOS 13.5.1. Also, search in help doesn't work on my iPad. Functions fine on my iPhone 11 with same iOS version. Known issue @LFS?

Think this got lost @LFS

• @LFS said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@dendy said:

@LFS said:

@dendy said:

Hi @dendy,

Best,
    Lars

Good to know, thanks for sharing @Littlewoodg!

It’s very very cool to have Cubasis on Android!

• edited June 2020

There are two odd issues I’ve discovered (I definitely need to find the time to report various bugs I’ve found, but as Steinberg ask for a boring report form... :'( ):

1- when you freeze a track which use sends, send will be audio frozen too but the frozen track will duplicate send setting so you will hear double delay, double reverb, etc... You need to disable sends before or after freezing as a workaround or your mix will sounds wrong.

2- when freezing a track, master effects will be disabled (you will not hear it), you will have to disabling/enabling master effect again to have proper audio master effect coming back. Again it’s dangerous for your mixing. Tested with master strip only.

And also, I have quite often sound crashing/distortion with various AUV3 with lower latency than 512 buffers. This can happen randomly or when enabling/disabling master effects, unfreezing, opening an editor... This is with 7 Plus and Air 3. How can I monitor efficiently my audio input with effects with 512 buffers? AUV3 are an easily found culprit IMO, they’re so stable in AUM at 128 buffers and in GarageBand at 256 buffers. Restarting Cubasis 3 always fix the audio crackles, but sometimes AUV3 state saving is lost. 512 buffers is always stable but we need lower « always stable » latency for proper music production, even if it’s still MUCH better than initial release in my experience.

• edited June 2020

@LFS would really like an MPC style sampler in Cb3 . That as an IAP I would happily pay good cash for. With that added I don’t think I would use any other app because Cb3 is to me the best DAW on iOS. Just need that MPC in there

• Love cubasis 3. It’s my go to but to today, I have had problems connecting AUM to it. Also, Animoog is connecting but not recording.

• @stormbeats said:
    @LFS would really like an MPC style sampler in Cb3 . That as an IAP I would happily pay good cash for. With that added I don’t think I would use any other app because Cb3 is to me the best DAW on iOS. Just need that MPC in there

Just use Segments for the time being 😬