Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MagicDeathEyeStereo magic settings

Tried this on multiple sources (all normalized) and it sounds great nine times out of ten without other adjustments.

Only one instance of MagicDeathEyeStereo with these settings.
Nothing else. Not even a limiter.

Keep oversampling off. It clips the signal to -0.4.
(with oversampling engaged it goes over zero, so keep this switched off)

EQ and low cut settings to taste.

Also, if any of your sources get too distorted for your liking, just turn down the big “input” knob a few notches.

Enjoy 😊

Just to be clear, these tips and tricks are not meant to replace the services of professional mastering engineers with properly treated rooms, $12000 speakers and priceless outboard gear.

Comments

• Ooh, nice tip, will be checking this out later, thanks

• Thanks. Sound so good.

• @jolico Thanks for posting your favorite settings, very useful for my experiments 😉

• If any of your sources get too distorted for your liking, just turn down the big “input” knob a few notches.

• Always looking for a magic bullet, when I should have been looking the MagicDeathEye :) Thanks for the nudge...

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Always looking for a magic bullet, when I should have been looking the MagicDeathEye :) Thanks for the nudge...

Apart from, erm, the sticker shock :)

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Always looking for a magic bullet, when I should have been looking the MagicDeathEye :) Thanks for the nudge...

If you don’t really need it right now, maybe wait until it goes on sale.

It is available for download on desktop as a free preview if you want to test it.

• @jolico said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

It is available for download on desktop as a free preview if you want to test it.

Thanks for that. Truth is I have little doubt this would be a lovely addition and (in addition) if the Apple Bundle game wasn't so weak and the 'deal' offered me a few dollars off to get me down from the fence I probably would have bought it. As it is, yes, I'll wait for a sale. And I don't add that bundle comment as a complaint, more as insight for the Dev if they should happen by.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@jolico said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

Thanks for that. Truth is I have little doubt this would be a lovely addition and (in addition) if the Apple Bundle game wasn't so weak and the 'deal' offered me a few dollars off to get me down from the fence I probably would have bought it. As it is, yes, I'll wait for a sale. And I don't add that bundle comment as a complaint, more as insight for the Dev if they should happen by.

At the bundle page in the AppStore, scroll all the way down to the bottom and then all the way back up again. The price should be fixed.

Also, Toneboosters is releasing a monster compressor soon.

• @jolico said:

At the bundle page in the AppStore, scroll all the way down to the bottom and then all the way back up again. The price should be fixed.

Also, Toneboosters is releasing a monster compressor soon.

Yes....I'm aware of that little bundle trick, but it's not doing it for me today here in Austin :) Thanks again.

• This is the magic setting that turns it into a -0.4db brick wall (only works without oversampling)

• Does this ever go on sale? There’s no price history on appsliced.

• @king_picadillo said:
    Does this ever go on sale? There’s no price history on appsliced.

The one is really new (i think a few months) and the other one has a sale on Black Friday. So fingers crossed with many guys here ;)

• @jolico is this setting for only the master or for individual tracks as well? Just got it and I’m not a compression wiz so trying to find a good starting point.

• edited November 2020

You basically can’t go too wrong with this unless it sounds distorted, just experiment and trust your ears.

• thanks man def gona try this.
    is it ok that the sb meters bang red ?
    i’ve been cutting it down so it dosent, i don’t know why i just thought maybe it was telling me to chill haha but i’m probably doing it wrong

• Personally, I think the only thing that matters is whether it sounds ok to your ears and you aren’t getting digital clipping of some kind by pushing your master in your host into the red.

• @king_picadillo said:
    @jolico is this setting for only the master or for individual tracks as well? Just got it and I’m not a compression wiz so trying to find a good starting point.

I use it on the master when the limiter acts too grabby with the transients (all the time)

• Belated thanks for the tips @jolico

I'm still willing to pay somebody for a real mastering job, but I have a feeling I will enjoy learning the basics of using this compressor for gluing a mix together.

I was tempted by the BF sale on Solid State Logic SiX, but then realized that to make good use of it, I'd have to understand how to use its onboard compressors - so might as well learn with this one first.

• Crosspost from https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/33147/magic-deatheye-ddmf-compressor, as this is useful to MDES folks here:

If you want to access the hidden MDEStereo App settings and you have AUM and Mozaic, you can download, unzip, and run the attached AUM project.

It allows you to control four settings from Mozaic that are not exposed by the MDES UI.
    There is visual feedback when these have been engaged - but due to a MDES UI bug, this apparently is only updated when you force a refresh by tapping on (cycling through) the MDE diamond (i.e. the oversampling setting).

• @Tim6502 said:
    Crosspost from https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/33147/magic-deatheye-ddmf-compressor, as this is useful to MDES folks here:

If you want to access the hidden MDEStereo App settings and you have AUM and Mozaic, you can download, unzip, and run the attached AUM project.

It allows you to control four settings from Mozaic that are not exposed by the MDES UI.
    There is visual feedback when these have been engaged - but due to a MDES UI bug, this apparently is only updated when you force a refresh by tapping on (cycling through) the MDE diamond (i.e. the oversampling setting).

awesome! it works!
    i don’t understand how mozaic is wired to MDES tho haha but it works..i just don’t see it connected in the midi route screen

• @reasOne said:

@Tim6502 said:
    Crosspost from https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/33147/magic-deatheye-ddmf-compressor, as this is useful to MDES folks here:

awesome! it works!
    i don’t understand how mozaic is wired to MDES tho haha but it works..i just don’t see it connected in the midi route screen

Great to hear that!

Mozaic is sending Midi CCs to the 'MIDI CTRL' target. Messages received there can be connected to parameters of AUv3 Apps - you do that by opening the upper right 'hamburger' menu in AUM -> 'MIDI CTRL' and editing the lanes and the apps found on them as needed.
    In the AUM project I have edited this so that MDES is listening for 4 parameter settings on channel 1 / CCs 101-104, which is what Mozaic sends.

• Thanks! Was just looking for more magic. Does anyone know what the orange knob does when activated? It says dual masterbuss compressor and when tapped, it shows a word I can hardly read: aura.
    I also didnt know you can swipe up harmonics on the 2 balance LR dots. This compressor is vast, it’s unique and hard to grasp its true potential.

• @Bob said:
    Thanks! Was just looking for more magic. Does anyone know what the orange knob does when activated? It says dual masterbuss compressor and when tapped, it shows a word I can hardly read: aura.
    I also didnt know you can swipe up harmonics on the 2 balance LR dots. This compressor is vast, it’s unique and hard to grasp its true potential.

Tapping the orange power light activates “Laura” mode.

When the developer first modeled the hardware, there was an error in the settings that made it behave differently from the actual MagicDeathEye.

He liked the sound and kept it alongside the more accurate model.

In the original MagicDeathEye app, it is activated by tapping on the gain reduction meter.
    The background image of the meter changes to a pin-up model.

Someone in the gearslutz forum named her “Laura” and this is why it is now called Laura mode.

• This must be one of the most expensive single fx apps for ios. Is it worth the money compared to other compressors?

• @Slush said:
    This must be one of the most expensive single fx apps for ios. Is it worth the money compared to other compressors?

Totally! (IMO)

Thanks for the tips @jolico

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Slush Was about to ask the same
    question😄 Since I like the compressors in Ik Mixbox I’m curious about these as well.

Is the stereo worth it over the mono or would the bundle be the answer?

• @jolico said:

@Bob said:
    Thanks! Was just looking for more magic. Does anyone know what the orange knob does when activated? It says dual masterbuss compressor and when tapped, it shows a word I can hardly read: aura.

Tapping the orange power light activates “Laura” mode.

When the developer first modeled the hardware, there was an error in the settings that made it behave differently from the actual MagicDeathEye.

He liked the sound and kept it alongside the more accurate model.

In the original MagicDeathEye app, it is activated by tapping on the gain reduction meter.
    The background image of the meter changes to a pin-up model.

Someone in the gearslutz forum named her “Laura” and this is why it is now called Laura mode.

Thanks for clearing this up, mate! MDE stereo is the best compressor imo, extremely versitale, hard to handle, but subtle and plain crazy. No manual and a freaky webiste. Hardware price is like giving the entire bar drinks a weekend long with snacks, and vip to the compressed party club. No brainer for buying this gear as an ios app. Happy camper, using it on masters only for now but I struggle with the order of things. Where to put what before or after. Feels quantum and fits everywhere I guess 🤯