Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Sample Packs a big no no in real hip hop /house culture.Try Dig in the crates people be original

Comments

• @stormbeats said:
    Not to say “you should not” but damn guys its getting cheddar cheesy now. With the multitude of audio sources on the internet to sample your own discoveries to me this Sample Pack crew are lazy. Go deep into a sample *uck all that Royalty Free blah blah Get some vinyl

How is sampling vinyl any more original than buying a sample? Either way, you’re starting with someone else’s work. I’m not dissing either approach, but they seem like more or less the same thing to me.

• Aaand... Thread dead! > @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@stormbeats said:
    Not to say “you should not” but damn guys its getting cheddar cheesy now. With the multitude of audio sources on the internet to sample your own discoveries to me this Sample Pack crew are lazy. Go deep into a sample *uck all that Royalty Free blah blah Get some vinyl

How is sampling vinyl any more original than buying a sample? Either way, you’re starting with someone else’s work. I’m not dissing either approach, but they seem like more or less the same thing to me.

Where’s the raspberry emoji?

• edited June 2020

@Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@stormbeats said:

I think the point is that anyone can buy the same pre-packaged sample packs. It’s too easy and homogenized. Crate digging and finding weird, obscure stuff on YouTube, etc. means you’ll likely come across something that others won’t. You’re actively curating the source material.

• http://jpop80ss.blogspot.com/?m=1

A present from me to you! Plenty classics on there and a wealth of unexplored stuff also. I’ve stopped downloading stuff now as I probably have enough material to last me until I’m 80 lol

On the real you can overdo it with your library, I saw another thread talking about leaving iOS as a platform due to the apps being a bit of a trap, sometimes working with less equals more creativity. I look at my library sometimes and It creatively blocks me because there is too much choice. I’m a bit of a hypocrite because I don’t follow this advice but ideally just work on one track at a time and don’t have a library, stick to making the finish product and then decant it!!!’ Ahh one can only dream xD

• I should mention for those peeps on mobile devices request the desktop site. aA in the top left corner of safari!

• YUJI OHNO

http://jpop80ss.blogspot.com/search/label/YUJI OHNO

Some gold right there! Been sampled quite a lot but just an example for the noobs to show you there is some real gems on this site!

• You can also perfectly cheat using vinyls like i did years ago.

• edited June 2020

@xraydash said:

@stormbeats said:

I think the point is that anyone can buy the same pre-packaged sample packs. It’s too easy and homogenized. Crate digging and finding weird, obscure stuff on YouTube, etc. means you’ll likely come across something that others won’t. You’re actively curating the source material.

@xraydash well said :)

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@stormbeats said:

@Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr no one who has agreed with my post said you should only do this or that. My reasons for saying is a “no no” in hiphop is Sample Packs sampling then saying “made a great hip hop track” is not part of the culture. A lot of deep searching goes into it. And the good thing is you learn about the artist/composers etc you sample from. Knowledge

• edited June 2020

@Proto said:
    You can also perfectly cheat using vinyls like i did years ago.

I’ve got loads of high quality tips of similar break records and their shit.

Just to point out that learning the efx the sounds you like are run through will help you a lot, can’t polish a turd ect.

I mean break records are decent but ie you have no outboard gear and you want something that’s been run through multiple to get the “sound” with the samples you have, I’d rather buy a producer that does and tweak his drums so they’re “yours”now.

Again coming back to the point that actually you’re not that original and doesn’t matter the source it’s what you do with it that matters!

• I used to be anti-recycled-music until I found out that my favorite producer “The Prodigy” was recycling samples from old records.
    It was like waking up from the matrix :smiley:

• Using samples you took from a record...is no more creative than using a sound you took from a loop library...or a found sound...
    They are the same thing...sheesh

It’s what you do with the sample that makes it creative or not.

Diggin thru records is nothing more or less than digging thru a pile of samples, anybody saying this is some different “more authentic thing” needs to wake up out that crack fog. Your smokin some strong shit, tell your dealer to the meds are too much.

• @MrSmileZ said:
    Using samples you took from a record...is no more creative than using a sound you took from a loop library...or a found sound...

Diggin thru records is nothing more or less than digging thru a pile of samples, anybody saying this is some different “more authentic thing” needs to wake up out that crack fog. Your smokin some strong shit, tell your dealer to the meds are too much.

So anyone who doesn’t agree with you must be drug addled? This is a good discussion overall, but your comment is disrespectful.

• @jolico said:
    I used to be anti-recycled-music until I found out that my favorite producer “The Prodigy” was recycling samples from old records.

Say hello to Mr. Jim "Groove Rider" Pavloff 😎

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Write good songs.

+1000. The only thing that really counts.

• @rs2000 said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Write good songs.

+1000. The only thing that really counts.

+1000 more

• @rs2000 said:

@jolico said:
    I used to be anti-recycled-music until I found out that my favorite producer “The Prodigy” was recycling samples from old records.

Say hello to Mr. Jim "Groove Rider" Pavloff 😎

Jim “Pure Acid” Pavloff :smiley:

• @xraydash said:

@MrSmileZ said:
    Using samples you took from a record...is no more creative than using a sound you took from a loop library...or a found sound...

So anyone who doesn’t agree with you must be drug addled? This is a good discussion overall, but your comment is disrespectful.

I’m saying there is simply no difference in where you source your samples...other than maybe some copyright issues
    I don’t care if you sample a toilet flushing, or you sample a record, or the radio, it absolutely does not matter one bit.
    An audio clip, is an audio clip.

The end user and what they do with/to the sound clip/sample is where the artistry emerges
    All the rest is technique

My comment is what I’d say to anybody who thinks sampling from a record or using a loop library will hold any significance in what the rest of the project will become...it just isn’t true at all.

Sorry if that somehow came off disrespectful to you.

This whole thread was intended to disrespect people who source their samples from a sample library...
    In fact, it disrespects the people who create these packs as well, because the mindset behind it wants people to avoid their products, in the name of being cool to the OP.

So there’s that

• @MrSmileZ said:

You sound like someone who never dug through records.
    It is way more work than using a sample pack.

One is like baking a cake from scratch, using your own recipe.
    The other is like using a box of cake mix, and then saying “I made this myself.”

But yeah, you end up with cake either way.

• Let’s not forget the joy in discovering new music that digging brings. I’ll use samples from anywhere to be honest, yes, sample packs for drums too (not so keen on pre-selected sample pack melodies/chords in my music).

But digging has opened me to a whole world of new music. I’m going to share one of my gems here. There is an album’s worth of samples in this track but I have grown to love it in its own right and now sing it in the shower. Long live digging in the crates!

https://open.spotify.com/track/4Ne0bjA9MMQ1Y30YcUAjbL?si=7Q5yrVKmQ9iGOwDiGKR9EQ

• edited June 2020

@MrSmileZ said:

@xraydash said:

@MrSmileZ said:

I’m saying there is simply no difference in where you source your samples...other than maybe some copyright issues
    I don’t care if you sample a toilet flushing, or you sample a record, or the radio, it absolutely does not matter one bit.
    An audio clip, is an audio clip.

The end user and what they do with/to the sound clip/sample is where the artistry emerges
    All the rest is technique

My comment is what I’d say to anybody who thinks sampling from a record or using a loop library will hold any significance in what the rest of the project will become...it just isn’t true at all.

Sorry if that somehow came off disrespectful to you.

This whole thread was intended to disrespect people who source their samples from a sample library...
    In fact, it disrespects the people who create these packs as well, because the mindset behind it wants people to avoid their products, in the name of being cool to the OP.

So there’s that

I resonate with this. This whole thread, to me, just seemed like it was undercover bashing Chomplr, as well as sample kit/pack users. I may be way off but that's just the way it comes off.

Music is music. Times change and methods do as well. Lots of major producers now days use apple loops to create top charting songs. Do the people buying the albums or streaming them care? I have yet to hear someone in real life say, "that song sucks because they used a sample kit." Either you like the music or not.

I don't think its necessary to knock another man (or woman's) creative process because it doesn't jive with what you grew up with, or how you learned. Music, once upon a time, was used to pull people's minds off of the craziness of the world, or to intellectually draw attention to some point that needed a spotlight.

Love the process, love the end result. At the end of the day, have fun with what you're doing and share it with the world. Be creative. That song that so and so made with whatever kit may be their entry to producing, it may be their entry into the next tier, or it might just be that thing they needed to get through the day.

• I have a substantial collection of vinyls gathering dust in the basement that I’ve been willing to play and sample for maybe two decades. Thing is, I don’t have a working player in ages, and never bothered since the dawn of the digital age.

Any suggestions on a cheap turntable I could use to at least play these records, and show my kids how the ancients used to listen to music?

• edited June 2020

@stormbeats said:

@stormbeats said:

@Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr no one who has agreed with my post said you should only do this or that. My reasons for saying is a “no no” in hiphop is Sample Packs sampling then saying “made a great hip hop track” is not part of the culture. A lot of deep searching goes into it. And the good thing is you learn about the artist/composers etc you sample from. Knowledge

One might also learn how to actually play and compose music, get together with other musicians to create something new, etc.

@stormbeats said:

@stormbeats said:

One might also learn how to actually play and compose music, get together with other musicians to create something new, etc.

Double raspberry mooning emoji.

• wimwim
    edited June 2020

Wait! I thought all you need is to throw in some weird time signatures, and to micro tune your samples to some Scala or Tun file you got on the internet to qualify as a "real" musician. Please don't keep raising the bar here @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr. :D

@stormbeats said:

@stormbeats said:

Can you elaborate? I interpret your remark as saying that you believe any or all of these things:

1. Sample based music is not music because it’s not performed live by people playing “real” instruments.
    2. New music can only be created by musicians who “play... music”, which I assume means “real” instruments.
    3. Sample based creators must not know how to play “real” instruments.
    4. Sample based creators are not actually composing music.
    5. Sample based music cannot be a collaborative effort.

@stormbeats said:

@stormbeats said:

One might get off that high horsey, you just exposed yourself as a complete and total snob who thinks sample based music is neither composed, done in groups or indeed made by musicians or even possible of being new, what a completely arrogant self absorbed idiotic point of view, good luck with your blinkered view of music and how you think "one" should act.

• @xraydash said:

@stormbeats said:

@stormbeats said:

Can you elaborate? I interpret your remark as saying that you believe any or all of these things:

1. Sample based music is not music because it’s not performed live by people playing “real” instruments.
    2. New music can only be created by musicians who “play... music”, which I assume means “real” instruments.
    3. Sample based creators must not know how to play “real” instruments.
    4. Sample based creators are not actually composing music.
    5. Sample based music cannot be a collaborative effort.

No, that is not my position at all, as I made clear in my first post. Please don’t attribute straw men to me!

• @Turntablist said:

@stormbeats said:

@stormbeats said:

One might get off that high horsey, you just exposed yourself as a complete and total snob who thinks sample based music is neither composed, done in groups or indeed made by musicians or even possible of being new, what a completely arrogant self absorbed idiotic point of view, good luck with your blinkered view of music and how you think "one" should act.

You seem outraged about something I never said and don’t believe. I’m merely commenting on OP’s absurd argument that music is more original or creative when samples are taken from vinyl instead of sample packs. If you really want original samples, you’ll create original music to sample.