Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Sample Packs a big no no in real hip hop /house culture.Try Dig in the crates people be original

Comments

• @NoiseFloored said:
    Semi-serious question now: how do people feel about sampling existing music from digital sources instead of vinyl? Is the preference for turntables a matter of sound, workflow, availability of obscure material, or something else?

I go e-digging all the time. YouTube channels and blogs.

• I will sample virtually anything

• Not to mention that crate digging takes some serious time. I think people new to that scene could use their time a lot more wisely by spending it actually making music. And lots of the top people are basically just paying people to go through records to find good stuff, and they have the money to buy huge amounts of vinyl. So, like many things in life, the emphasis on finding obscure samples will always resolve in favour of those already at the top of the pile who have the most money.

• @Fingolfinzzz said:
    I will sample virtually anything

right, i love good packs and love finding obscure old soul tracks on YT...

• @Gaia.Tree said:

@Fingolfinzzz said:
    I will sample virtually anything

right, i love good packs and love finding obscure old soul tracks on YT...

Heck yeah, I’ve even busted out Koala in a busy restaurant or a concert or something. And a few times where it was probably pretty inappropriate as well but I gotta have those ambiences

• I usually make my own samples, from guitar or voice, but I never sample my own drums.

I like Apple’s loops. When I’m stuck on a song, I sometimes play it and audition some loops. Most often, that gives me an idea to go and create my own part. For instance, I heard a kind of horror-movie, John Carpenter-esque piano loop in Logic, loved it, and then made my own with Logic’s piano.

Lots of uses for samples other than just using them m

Another great ideas tool is the OP-1’s radio. Grab a sample, and go from there. Sorry, a bit off topic — the radio isn’t a sample pack.

• Make some music that resonates with you and hopefully other people. The rest is an exercise.

Consider how many beloved songs have been made with the same chord progressions as umpteen million other songs. No one cares when they're listening.

Exercising is a generally a good idea though!

• These kinds of rules are like the WI jam judging committee. It’s your Jam. Use whatever ingredients you like. :lol:

• @klownshed said:
    These kinds of rules are like the WI jam judging committee. It’s your Jam. Use whatever ingredients you like. :lol:

@klownshed who said anything about “rules”. You did. Come on you know the rules. Seems some just read a topic title and dive in to the deep.

• @klownshed hipHop is a culture. Djing/Breakdancing/Mcing & Grafitti. Its not just music Remember that.

• I posted this in the podcast thread a while back but I think it it is very fitting here again and I loved this podcast a lot when it came out.

Variations: Wobbly aka John Leidecker on the history of sampling.
    https://rwm.macba.cat/en/buscador/radio/etiquetas/variaciones-9802

• @stormbeats said:

@klownshed said:
    These kinds of rules are like the WI jam judging committee. It’s your Jam. Use whatever ingredients you like. :lol:

@klownshed who said anything about “rules”. You did. Come on you know the rules.

There have been sample packs for decades. They used to be sold as floppy discs, then audio CDs with full on 'construction sets'. People have been using them for decades. There are samples on the early Zero-G CDs that you can spot on countless records.

I'm not saying sample construction sets are good or bad. I don't like to use them myself, and encouraging people to find and use their own sounds and samples is definitely a good thing. But calling it a "big no no" is implying there are rules. like it or not that is how it comes across.

• @klownshed said:

@stormbeats said:

@klownshed said:

@klownshed who said anything about “rules”. You did. Come on you know the rules.

There have been sample packs for decades. They used to be sold as floppy discs, then audio CDs with full on 'construction sets'. People have been using them for decades. There are samples on the early Zero-G CDs that you can spot on countless records.

I'm not saying sample construction sets are good or bad. I don't like to use them myself, and encouraging people to find and use their own sounds and samples is definitely a good thing. But calling it a "big no no" is implying there are rules. like it or not that is how it comes across.

@klownshed i really don’t care how it comes across because I have clearly said in the OP QUOTE : “ Iam not saying you should not” have a good productive afternoon.

• edited June 2020

@stormbeats said:
    @klownshed hipHop is a culture. Djing/Breakdancing/Mcing & Grafitti. Its not just music Remember that.

Culture is by definition a set of rules. It sets out how people behave, speak, dress.

But I'm not quite sure how I managed to rattle your cage. No offence intended.

• @klownshed said:

@stormbeats said:
    @klownshed hipHop is a culture. Djing/Breakdancing/Mcing & Grafitti. Its not just music Remember that.

Culture is by definition a set of rules. It sets out how people behave, speak, dress.

But I'm not quite sure how I managed to rattle your cage. No offence intended.

@well you are asking yourself that question. “You” are not quite sure. Will leave you to it.No offence intended. Peace

• edited June 2020

@stormbeats

I'm sorry.

• @klownshed said:

You wanna make Strawberry 🍓 jam, you’re gonna need Strawberries.

• @BiancaNeve said:

@klownshed said:

You wanna make Strawberry 🍓 jam, you’re gonna need Strawberries.

That is true.
    But using sample packs can be like, ‘I wanna make Strawberry Jam, so I will buy some Strawberry jam” sometimes.
    But not always.

• Don’t get all huffy folks.
    @stormbeats is just making a suggestion, and encouraging a more personal and unique approach to finding and choosing what samples you use.

I don’t think he is passing judgement, or laying down the law, or any of that.
    He is just making a suggestion, and a good one from my perspective.

• @CracklePot said:
    Don’t get all huffy folks.
    @stormbeats is just making a suggestion, and encouraging a more personal and unique approach to finding and choosing what samples you use.

@CracklePot thanks - it was also a noticeable trend with sampler apps marketing lately where IAPs sample packs more important than the actual app. Cool

• @stormbeats said:

@CracklePot said:
    Don’t get all huffy folks.

@CracklePot thanks - it was also a noticeable trend with sampler apps marketing lately where IAPs sample packs more important than the actual app. Cool

😎🤙🏻

• I think this forum is visited by a lot of people with different goals/ambitions and tastes in music. The only thing we all have in common is that we are using ios to create sound.
    While it is perfectly acceptable to use sample packs for some areas of music production, it definitely isn't for other areas. And that is quite all right.
    Now excuse me please, I'll have to create some very unique sine waves with a sine wave generator :smiley:

• @Jonny8 said:
    I think this forum is visited by a lot of people with different goals/ambitions and tastes in music. The only thing we all have in common is that we are using ios to create sound.
    While it is perfectly acceptable to use sample packs for some areas of music production, it definitely isn't for other areas. And that is quite all right.
    Now excuse me please, I'll have to create some very unique sine waves with a sine wave generator :smiley:

🤣

• McDMcD
    edited June 2020

@stormbeats Did you hear or see someone recently that prompted you to post this?
    Just curious for more context on your intention here.

I definitely get your message about "doing the work" if you want to have credibility with the community of creators that take the art seriously. Finding short cuts isn't really up to standards in any art that involves a lot of effort to achieve. It's the basis for respect...
    doing the work.

Now I'll get back to messing' around.

• All how you look at it. I was playing records out from 89 to around 2005, worked at a Legendary LA vinyl shop on La Brea and Melrose for years, and love collecting vinyl but honestly in my opinion it’s the finished product that’s important. Some sample companies are freakin great. Yes a lot of crappy, horrible content for sale out there but some companies have serious heat in their studios in way of processing and unattainable units. So for me I’ll feed my samplers whatever sounds appropriate for my needs. Sometimes vinyl snippets and sometimes my cat. Sometimes some drum kit from a company I dig. It’s all how we use it. I mean if we really want to keep things completely raw and authentic wouldn’t that mean working only with analog sequencing, Arps and Synthacons, Moogs, and TR’s? Maybe an SP or a Mpc 60? Music to me is an art form and we are fortunate to live in a time that our pallet can be so mixed and broad with our choices of instruments and media to manipulate. Sampling is an art form in its self but there’s most certainly not one proper way to go about it. Just my opinion.

• edited June 2020

Some people use sample packs, some people use a zoom h6 To record snails crawling the garden wall

The people using the h6, are making money off the people using sample packs

Not everybody has the time, or the want to capture sounds...

Suggesting everyone do the same, be the same, feel the same is ...well Boring

Good day all!

• You can use samples in incredibly creative ways… Sometimes so they’re barely recognizable.

It’s just making noise.

• @johnfromberkeley said:
    You can use samples in incredibly creative ways… Sometimes so they’re barely recognizable.

It’s just making noise.

This.

For a good example of a duo who used over 400 samples on their first album, look no further than Justice's "Cross" album.

@Justice said:
    We do sample really small bits of things that nobody can recognize. Say we use the "In Da Club" hand clap – not even 50 Cent would notice but if you listen to "Genesis", the first track [on Cross], there are samples of Slipknot, Queen and 50 Cent, but they are such short samples no one can recognize them. The ones from Slipknot, for example, are tiny pieces of vocals.

Cheers. :)

• edited June 2020

@McD said:
    @stormbeats Did you hear or see someone recently that prompted you to post this?
    Just curious for more context on your intention here.

I definitely get your message about "doing the work" if you want to have credibility with the community of creators that take the art seriously. Finding short cuts isn't really up to standards in any art that involves a lot of effort to achieve. It's the basis for respect...
    doing the work.

Now I'll get back to messing' around.

@McD nah just this new sample pack in thing . But not saying anyone “shouldn’t” but around certain circles mention “hey i got this great sample pack dudes” could be the reason to call that person Mr Cheese. I say again each to their own. Its not about me saying anyone should just use vinyl either. Infact in the early 90s there were loads of records with breaks sampled by “dj premier pete rock etc etc ‘ it did not last long. I just respect anything that is not easy to do. Punk Rock Jazz Soul Movies Art & those who meet the barriers and crush them. Integrity. Iam now listening to Sergio Gainsbourg there’s a 2 second un obvious piece that has captured an emotion my Akai S950 is saying feed me S950 is 12bit Will the sample feel right at 12bit or shall I feed it through some outboard or maybe put a mic to the speaker & record into Koala app. Sampling is more than just sampling

• Some day I'm going to create a stock audio library of the most soul-less, corporate music tracks anyone has ever heard. It will be music so bland, you won't actually hear it beyond the first few seconds (and if you get stuck in an elevator with it looping you'll quickly want to gouge your eardrums out). To get this stock library going quickly I'm going to layer a bunch of stock loops and without any modification turn them into songs.

At the same time, I'm going to keep following my true love of taking sound sources from everything around me, including, my phone, online libraries, vinyl, cd and of course youtube, and chopping, tweaking, mangling, reversing, etc. into new totally creative compositions that may at times be interesting but virtually inaccessible to the mass market.

The first has the potential to make a little money, the second will just make me happy. Is one right and the other wrong? I guess it depends on your perspective.