Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Sample Packs a big no no in real hip hop /house culture.Try Dig in the crates people be original

Comments

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    @stormbeats You are totally right. But I'd imagine that when YOU were ripping samples from Cymande records, there was a graybeard who was crowing about you and all those youg'ns needing to learn an instrument! and stop stealing samples!

A lot of the joy of sampling is finding the thing nobody else has. You're curating your sounds, and you're in competition with everybody else. A sample pack means that somebody else has curated these sounds, and I don't trust the dude who works for Novation to come up with a good Stax shuffle for Blocs Wave.

But that's probably old-guy thinking. Kids today [old man yells at cloud gif here] have literally never had to pay for music. They don't care where the sounds come from. The same defense of sampling Meters LPs and Otis Redding tracks — combining these existing pieces creates something totally different — holds for sample packs.

@ExAsperis99 cool mate Just lately with a lot of new samplers launcehd on iOS I am a zillion times cringing at the members asking about the *uckin “does it have IAP soundpacks what they like ? Oh i heard they not got 808 trap kiks so not buying the sampler” damn . Theres one of my posts above addressing the age gap thing. I actually research quite a bit online and the younger dudes are seeking hardware & obscure samples that they are proud to re construct. Thats innovative Also i dj a lotttt & again the younger crowd here in London want that deeper texture Research the Roland Sp303 lofi sub culture. It makes me very happy elder seeing these younger dudes creating masterpieces with small pieces of samples on a basic sampler like the sp303&404

• Just to say tho there is nothing at all wrong with sample packs if thats your thing but the machine/software & mind is and should be the selling point Speaking from a marketing stance. Will it be guitars next . Quote :“Yeah Gibsons are cool but does it have IAPs hahahahahaha :)

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@stormbeats said:
    @Turntablist @Apex dj greg wilson a legend from the uk dj’s with reels

Whoa, that's hardcore.

"Your turntables would skip like hell were they atop these big speakers. Not my trusty 1/4" reel-to-reels though—they never skip. Excuse me, this song is over in two minutes and I need all of that time to change this other reel."

• @syrupcore said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@stormbeats said:
    @Turntablist @Apex dj greg wilson a legend from the uk dj’s with reels

Whoa, that's hardcore.

"Your turntables would skip like hell were they atop these big speakers. Not my trusty 1/4" reel-to-reels though—they never skip. Excuse me, this song is over in two minutes and I need all of that time to change this other reel."

:D

• At some point it has to stop being about the tools and resources and become about what you DO with them.

Tools help, having various things to pull from helps. You doing the work to make it yours is what matters.

Nobody ever complains that we all use the same words while we’re listening to someone speak or reading what they’ve written IF what they’re saying is true and truer to the intent of themselves.

• I have about 5000 CDs degrading to dust in my basement. Am I the new hipster??

• @gusgranite said:
    I have about 5000 CDs degrading to dust in my basement. Am I the new hipster??

You have never not been the hipster you always were, or not. ;P

• @audiblevideo said:
    At some point it has to stop being about the tools and resources and become about what you DO with them.

Tools help, having various things to pull from helps. You doing the work to make it yours is what matters.

Nobody ever complains that we all use the same words while we’re listening to someone speak or reading what they’ve written IF what they’re saying is true and truer to the intent of themselves.

@audiblevideo £10 / Ten Squid / A Tenner.

• edited June 2020

Ive never used sample packs but are they not already pre processed? So dynamically not much options to re create ones own effects?

• @hacked_to_pieces said:
    20 song's that use the "amen break" yet they're all pretty different so you can you the same sound source as everyone else and still be original. https://mixmag.net/feature/the-20-best-tracks-that-sample-the-amen-break

Fun time skimming these. The last one kinda blew me away. A bizarre/wonderful mixup of electronic dance music styles from the last 30(?!) years. Even sneaks in Alpha Juno's "Hoover" at a few points.

• There is no wrong way to make music. Anyone discouraged by this thread should be aware that lots of your favorite producers also use samples from sample packs. Sometimes they flip it, sometimes they use it as is. Some internet dude’s opinion about whether your music is authentic enough to pass their purity test doesn’t matter.

And in case it wasn’t mentioned in this thread, a Splice like sample world exists for big name producers. They’re just using custom made packs that aren’t available commercially.

Make your next song better than your last song. Use whatever tools help you get there. Figure out what your priorities are. Who do you want to like your music? Do you care if there are sounds in your music that are also in other people’s tracks? Do you get a sense of satisfaction from investing energy into learning new parts of the craft of music making? Which parts? Spend time on that stuff.

• @firstworldman said:
    There is no wrong way to make music. Anyone discouraged by this thread should be aware that lots of your favorite producers also use samples from sample packs. Sometimes they flip it, sometimes they use it as is. Some internet dude’s opinion about whether your music is authentic enough to pass their purity test doesn’t matter.

And in case it wasn’t mentioned in this thread, a Splice like sample world exists for big name producers. They’re just using custom made packs that aren’t available commercially.

Make your next song better than your last song. Use whatever tools help you get there. Figure out what your priorities are. Who do you want to like your music? Do you care if there are sounds in your music that are also in other people’s tracks? Do you get a sense of satisfaction from investing energy into learning new parts of the craft of music making? Which parts? Spend time on that stuff.

@firstworldman i never once mentioned “wrong” you have though. Thats wrong

• There's always another option if you want to be truly original - synthesising everything from scratch and using various processes to get the exact sound you want. :lol:

• @gusgranite said:
    I have about 5000 CDs degrading to dust in my basement. Am I the new hipster??

No.. but did you know that Drambo can catalog those for you? 😂😂

• edited June 2020
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited June 2020

@Max23 said:

@stormbeats said:
    Just to say tho there is nothing at all wrong with sample packs if thats your thing but the machine/software & mind is and should be the selling point Speaking from a marketing stance. Will it be guitars next . Quote :“Yeah Gibsons are cool but does it have IAPs hahahahahaha :)

guitarists work different,
    its play the most absurd jazz chords that almost breaks your hand and smile ^^

This is exactly the opposite in my experience, at least with pop music. Occam's Razor always* holds true. If you think any chord on any Rolling Stones record requires fancy fingering, you're playing it wrong. Guaranteed, it's in a weird tuning that makes using two fingers per chord in the easiest possible position.

*A big exception is Andy Summers. The fingering to Police chords are insane. The riff in "Message in a Bottle" is almost impossible to play twice in a row, let alone for an entire 4:20.

• edited June 2020
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Distortion for guitarists is like reverb for singers: Instant courage.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @ExAsperis99 said:

@Max23 said:

@stormbeats said:
    Just to say tho there is nothing at all wrong with sample packs if thats your thing but the machine/software & mind is and should be the selling point Speaking from a marketing stance. Will it be guitars next . Quote :“Yeah Gibsons are cool but does it have IAPs hahahahahaha :)

guitarists work different,
    its play the most absurd jazz chords that almost breaks your hand and smile ^^

This is exactly the opposite in my experience, at least with pop music. Occam's Razor always* holds true. If you think any chord on any Rolling Stones record requires fancy fingering, you're playing it wrong. Guaranteed, it's in a weird tuning that makes using two fingers per chord in the easiest possible position.

*A big exception is Andy Summers. The fingering to Police chords are insane. The riff in "Message in a Bottle" is almost impossible to play twice in a row, let alone for an entire 4:20.

The Late Great Allan Holdsworth King of Impossible Chords and Lead Guitar.

• @Max23 said:

@ExAsperis99 said:
    Distortion for guitarists is like reverb for singers: Instant courage.

^^
    they need distortion,
    they dont have sustain or release,
    they just have that plong decay from string

But there's a reason that guitarists are getting laid while the keyboard dude is manning the merch table.

[Reads the room belatedly; race-walks to the fire exit.]

• this is no diss to sample based music, as i created beats using samples for years... but one day while digging it hit me with conviction that i was spending hours trying to find music that someone else made, then use it to make mine... it felt weird all of a sudden....i was like can i even play an instrument and make my own music from scratch??? or do i need to rely on other people’s talents and music they made to even create a song...
    suddenly i had to find out, i didn’t want to rely on other people’s skills and music to make my own....i wanted to contribute originality to my music and use my own skills to lay out a riff then maybe sample that....
    so that’s essentially what i’ve been doing since that day...i just couldn’t get into sampling other people’s work anymore at least not all the time for every single thing.
    now there are other ways to sample and mangle that are less strait forward than vinyl chops that can be fun but i just want to make my own music..
    that’s when i sold all my sampling gear and bought an ipad to start learning how to play synths again, something i started years ago but gave up on to sample.
    again no diss to sampling or sample based music i love it and made lots of it but for me i just want to be able to jam and spend that three hours i would spend going thru others people music to find a sample to instead just use the three hours to write my own little jam

• I am a big fan of sampling...
    at the ice cream shop.

Seriously though, I think some of the coolest, most innovative music I have heard was sample based. Being really good at manipulating samples can be an art form. Much like being a turntable wizard.

• MSXII Chomplr, shots fired

• Er, why are we talking guitars and keyboards? Back to the fine art of sampling!

• edited June 2020

@ExAsperis99 said:
    But there's a reason that guitarists are getting laid while the keyboard dude is manning the merch table.

Yeah, the guitarists are getting laid cos all the girls have been watching them manhandle a metre-long phallic symbol on stage for the last 2 hours while the synth guy plinks and plonks away in the background, twiddling knobs 😂

• @firstworldman said:
    There is no wrong way to make music. Anyone discouraged by this thread should be aware that lots of your favorite producers also use samples from sample packs. Sometimes they flip it, sometimes they use it as is. Some internet dude’s opinion about whether your music is authentic enough to pass their purity test doesn’t matter.

+100