Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Sample Packs a big no no in real hip hop /house culture.Try Dig in the crates people be original

Comments

• @Apex said:
    One way I get around the “low quality Youtube” problem is to record the audio through a desk, and not just take a direct digital copy. Yes, it’s technically the same shit quality, but going into the physical realm helps round off the edges and bond together said crap audio so its not so harsh. Like running thru a filter or eq almost.

@Apex yes mate thats cool & part of why I posted this OP was to enjoy creative visions :)

• @stormbeats said:
    @onerez my original post says “i do not say you should not” so whatever. And you do u

Nah... i get ya.... sorry I came off as a di*k. I just wish I had the access to some of the old vinyl......

• edited June 2020

@onerez said:

@stormbeats said:
    @onerez my original post says “i do not say you should not” so whatever. And you do u

Nah... i get ya.... sorry I came off as a di*k. I just wish I had the access to some of the old vinyl......

@onerez who said anything about just sampling vinyl & if its vinyl you do want then save money from buying sample packs fora while ( if you do) “ innit geeza” Old vinyl lot of it is cheap as pack of peanuts

• Why do I feel sooo roasted🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 I love sample packs and they do help when I lack ideas.

• edited June 2020

Take a psytrance library and make the best damn country album you can. (Yes I know this is OT)

• @Turntablist @Apex @stormbeats @samu thanks for the replies, I definitely enjoy learning about other people's workflows. I'm very aware of these digital artifacts, though a few times I've found interesting stuff there.

• @NoiseFloored said:
    @Turntablist @Apex @stormbeats @samu thanks for the replies, I definitely enjoy learning about other people's workflows. I'm very aware of these digital artifacts, though a few times I've found interesting stuff there.

@NoiseFloored cool

• My method of sampling YouTube and Spotify is simply called AppleTV hooked to a TV.
    The TV is then hooked to my UR-242 and I can 'record' everything that happens on the TV-Screen.
    The TV also has optional artifact reduction for both audio and video which is always a nice bonus :)

• @Paa89 said:
    Why do I feel sooo roasted🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 I love sample packs and they do help when I lack ideas.

@Paa89 hey no worries, i originally posted this not to roast anyone. Just observation

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Max23 said:
    sample your own half finished things that went nowhere

@Max23 exactly. :) you speak sense to the people

• For me it basically comes down to whether you use sampling as an artistic practice or as a technology. While commercial sample libraries might let you play the piano even if you don't own a piano they lack any kind of social, political, historical context.
    Artistically it seems a bit like quoting from a book of ancient greek quotes.
    Negativland's Dispepsi didn't sample soft drink commercials because they loved the sound design from the commercials but because they wanted to make a relevant comment about society. Sampling is appropriation. It allows the artist to recontextualize a piece of the "real world" (even if it's just about your own biography or musical influences). Sample libraries can not really be used for this as they lack context and even content.

• @stormbeats said:

@Paa89 said:
    Why do I feel sooo roasted🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 I love sample packs and they do help when I lack ideas.

@Paa89 hey no worries, i originally posted this not to roast anyone. Just observation

Just messing around, but you definitely do have some valid points and so do others in the comments..
    Most of us new producers are trying to be like the next man ( the YouTube producers) thinking that could make us better and forget that practice is what brings the best. One other issue is that artists all tend to want a certain type of sound and this is making hip hop, trap and drill more and more unauthentic.
    I do understand people who use melody loops and try to flip them, but one thing I can never understand are people who keep buying drum packs 🤣🤣 same sounds, recycled over 1000 times, all the packs sound the same but people still want to buy them. But to each their own.

• @Samu said:

@stormbeats said:
    !
    @samu cool. Yeah iam not putting anyone down but its just gone so corny now . Peace

Agreed, everything is starting sound sound almost the same nowadays and it's partly and most likely because everyone uses the same sample libraries and other sources regardless of genre. Although there are some exceptions...

Sorry I hate being controversial but I'm going to have to argue that these are "musician problems." No one who isn't really deep into music technology and/or creation is going to know or care. In fact, the sheeple love familiarity! Don't get me wrong, I admire and encourage Originality but it probably actually harms your chances of becoming popular in most cases. Maybe the point of making music is the emotional reaction it generates rather than being the most original. The good ones can start with the same source material and form it into something beautiful.

Also, who has time to start from scratch with everything?! :lol:

• Prime example - a certain company brought an MPC app to us on iOS - it is now a bugged out software with devs now & again promoting sample packs instead of updating the actual app. This I confess is what triggered my mood today .

• @stormbeats said:
    Wack the toilet seat with a hammer

I did that once. Unfortunately I forgot to sample the sounds my wife made cuz I didn’t want to get stabbed.

• @Philandering_Bastard said:

@stormbeats said:
    Wack the toilet seat with a hammer

I did that once. Unfortunately I forgot to sample the sounds my wife made cuz I didn’t want to get stabbed.

:) good stuff geeza .

• I always strive to be original when I'm sampling somebody else's music.

• I already have the Amen Break sample, though.
    Are you telling me there is more stuff out there to sample?

• edited June 2020

@CracklePot said:
    I already have the Amen Break sample, though.

plenty! 'When the Levee Breaks', 'Breakin up is Hard to do', uhhh, the theme to 'Gimme a Break'...

• edited June 2020

@stormbeats You are totally right. But I'd imagine that when YOU were ripping samples from Cymande records, there was a graybeard who was crowing about you and all those youg'ns needing to learn an instrument! and stop stealing samples!

A lot of the joy of sampling is finding the thing nobody else has. You're curating your sounds, and you're in competition with everybody else. A sample pack means that somebody else has curated these sounds, and I don't trust the dude who works for Novation to come up with a good Stax shuffle for Blocs Wave.

But that's probably old-guy thinking. Kids today [old man yells at cloud gif here] have literally never had to pay for music. They don't care where the sounds come from. The same defense of sampling Meters LPs and Otis Redding tracks — combining these existing pieces creates something totally different — holds for sample packs.

• @stormbeats said:
    @Turntablist @Apex dj greg wilson a legend from the uk dj’s with reels

Whoa, that's hardcore.

• @CracklePot said:

The British electronic musicians' devotion to the Amen Break is totally baffling to me. It's like the French devotion to Jerry Lewis.

• @Max23 said:
    sample your own half finished things that went nowhere

Love that, sounds like a sample from Oblique Strategies... :)

• @AudioGus said:

@CracklePot said:

plenty! 'When the Levee Breaks', 'Breakin up is Hard to do', uhhh, the theme to 'Gimme a Break'...

These are the breaks!
    Break it up! Break it up! Break it up!

• @stormbeats said:
    Not to say “you should not” but damn guys its getting cheddar cheesy now. With the multitude of audio sources on the internet to sample your own discoveries to me this Sample Pack crew are lazy. Go deep into a sample *uck all that Royalty Free blah blah Get some vinyl even use your own friggin damn voice. Wack the toilet seat with a hammer Sample it Pitch it up down make it the best Kick or Snare you ever heard or better yet read out loud what I have written and sample it. Make it your own or recognize that you have taken in what I have written. Guess what you have just become a sampler saved to infinite memory. Peace.

Okay, I have to play Devil's advocate for just a second: I know several dudes who would say "Dig in the crates" and "be original" is a juxtaposition with some high hypocritical irony attached to it.

However, even as a bit of a traditionalist myself, I wouldn't agree with that summation. You go on in your post @stormbeats and lay down some advice that is truly excellent; plus your feelings of abhorrence towards Sample Packs sees you cheering on creativity in and of itself.

I view sampling in three categories:

1: Digitally recording an instrument (like an acoustic piano) in precise, extreme detail to apply it as a virtual instrument. Drum sampling could be included here because you could record an actual Roland 808 unit in intricate detail using round robin, velocity & tuning variations.

2: Capturing a wide variety of audio, be it real instruments, snippets of recordings, real world noises and atmosphere, etc. and through pitch and speed alterations, adding effects, playing in reverse etc. creating another wholely unique and independent sound to be used in sound design or spread chromatically across a keyboard.

3: The wholesale reappropriation of an existing piece of music, melody or distinctive harmony to create an entirely new "song" (i.e. Rick James' "Superfreak" becomes "U Can't Touch This" by MC Hammer).

Sample Packs can be used in a sort of "paint by numbers" fashion. While I would feel weird about saying I wrote a "new song" that was just a bunch of Apple loops jigsawed together, it can be (especially early on in a musicians development) used as a tool to develop arrangement skills.

But if Sample Packs are used creatively, turning a spark of inspiration into a cool new sound or new track, not just stitched together as-is, then they can be very useful.

• @CracklePot said:

Yeah, mash up Jimi Hendrix (cross town traffic riff) with some Johnny Cash or take a choir hook from Edwin Hawkins Singers (Oh Happy day etc) and mash it with some 808s and jungle beats...

Still a lot of old stuff that can create cool genre mashups :)

• 20 song's that use the "amen break" yet they're all pretty different so you can you the same sound source as everyone else and still be original. https://mixmag.net/feature/the-20-best-tracks-that-sample-the-amen-break

• I kinda enjoy mashups...

• @AudioGus said:
    Take a psytrance library and make the best damn country album you can. (Yes I know this is OT)

I'd say that's pretty much exactly on topic.