Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

micro usb are shite

I've got keyboards and tablets with this connection and it's terrible. Far too weak. Please manufacturers, stop using it.

/Rant over.

Comments

• And so is your language.

• I agree it really is shite. Luckily I think it's on its way out, Android phones and tablets are moving on to usb c at least

• Funnily, micro-usb is rated for far far more insertion cycles than mini-usb was, which doesn’t seem so because micro-usb is thin and tiny, mini-usb was bigger and fatter. But there you are, micro-usb rated for something like ten times the insertion cycles compared to mini-usb. However, the problems with both are typically the soldering/bonding to the PCB rather than the pluggery and socketry itself. Lots of products have notorious repeatable problems with PCB-mount sockets such as these.

• My KORG nanostudio was a great bit of kit for six months of home studio use, where it must have been plugged and unplugged no more than a dozen times total. And then the micro usb connection died, despite never having been stressed in any way. Piece of crap.

• @u0421793 said:
    Funnily, micro-usb is rated for far far more insertion cycles than mini-usb was, which doesn’t seem so because micro-usb is thin and tiny, mini-usb was bigger and fatter. But there you are, micro-usb rated for something like ten times the insertion cycles compared to mini-usb. However, the problems with both are typically the soldering/bonding to the PCB rather than the pluggery and socketry itself. Lots of products have notorious repeatable problems with PCB-mount sockets such as these.

Yes. It's the connection between the socket and pcb. A £0.001 blob of solder. What the hell is that all about.

• its shite.

• I’ve never had a problem with anything microUSB, but I’m always concerned about it.

Though I did once buy a second hand CME Xkey version one and it came pre-broken so I returned it and got a Xkey Air, which still uses microUSB, but at least fits a standard cable. Since that one came pre-broken it wasn’t due to anything I did.

I’m fine switching to USB C.

• I’ve mentioned this before but my bitter experience means I now fit any gear I have which has a micro usb with magnetic cables, so the socket itself is permanently connected, and the cable can break free without stress, eg:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USLION-3A-Magnetic-Micro-USB-Fast-Charger-Date-Sync-Charging-Phone-Cable-Samsung/402220764928?hash=item5da639cf00:g:hdYAAOSw8gBek5Bi

• edited June 2020

yes

• @Svetlovska said:
    I’ve mentioned this before but my bitter experience means I now fit any gear I have which has a micro usb with magnetic cables, so the socket itself is permanently connected, and the cable can break free without stress, eg:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USLION-3A-Magnetic-Micro-USB-Fast-Charger-Date-Sync-Charging-Phone-Cable-Samsung/402220764928?hash=item5da639cf00:g:hdYAAOSw8gBek5Bi

Absolutely. The only problem might be cases or covers that don't have room for the detachable plug to remain in the device but usually with a little surgery they work.

I wondered about the signals quality with feeding power and/or digital info with a magnetic connection but it seemed to work fine.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited June 2020

Lighting port durability is its main strength IMO.

iPad Pro users: is your USB-C port as durable as Lightning?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited June 2020

While we on the subject of plugs and sockets. Does any of the jackless devices owners know if it’s possible to use CCK3’s lightning port to plug in headphone jack adapter? It’s likely just for power but who knows.

I was just thinking of ways around plugging my headphones somewhere when lightning port is taken by midi controllers.

BTW my iPad has a jack input but thinking about the future.

• @supadom said:
    While we on the subject of plugs and sockets. Does any of the jackless devices owners know if it’s possible to use CCK3’s lightning port to plug in headphone jack adapter? It’s likely just for power but who knows.

I was just thinking of ways around plugging my headphones somewhere when lightning port is taken by midi controllers.

BTW my iPad has a jack input but thinking about the future.

Unfortunately not, this is only for charging.

• @Janosax hey man, I just remembered I never replied to your question about pitch shift in a Drambo. I remember trying using frequency shifter module on vocals and it sounded decent. It definitely doesn’t add much latency to the signal. The thing with Drambo is that you can definitely get that RackFx sound you’re after but you’re going to have to add a few elements including shaper, filters and some eq to get there. Switch them around, fiddle with knobs until you hit that sweat spot.

I spent probably 15 minutes total on it so I have nothing to show really. ;)

I’ve just bought another zoom u44 specifically to use for my Drambo set up so I’ll be definitely spending more time on this subject. I’ll let you know.

• @supadom thanks for your answer :)

Bought it yesterday, and this is exactly what I’ve done, using also @rs2000 advice about formant. Used it only on a sax sample, but will try it on sax live in few minutes as I start my playing session just now B)

• edited June 2020

here we go again

• edited June 2020

• edited June 2020

• I can’t wait until they finally introduce this connector on all devices.