Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Comments

• Maybe my mistake, but I can't see anything (sic).

• That's cos it's a closed group but this update is going to be something special.

• Whoops, sorry about that, here it is

• edited March 2014

Thanks, @Xprmntr!

I like that skin.

• Really great job on the new synth graphics! This app is amazing and definitely stands up there with Gadget. What I miss in this app is a scalable keyboard, 1 octave just isn't enough. And of course scales. Other then that, this app is a no brainer at only 10 bucks. Lots of great sounding synths/modules.

• Looks Great!!! :-)

• Any idea when 3.1 for ios will land?

• This app is a great value, 1/3 the cost of gadget, has ability to sample and import, their forum is very helpful with developer interaction (thanks for the help on note mappings) and it's relatively low resource usage. I couldn't be more pleased with an app purchase. Thank you Rej

• edited April 2014

I learned about this in detail for the first time tonight. Really excited about it. Only issue is that, so far, it's been a relatively closed ecosystem - it's like a multi-track recorder within itself, but no AudioBus, IAA, or even Copy/Paste. I hear AB and AudioCopy are coming over in the new update.

Virtual MIDI also? In other words, can I use MIDI controller apps like ChordPolyPad and Synthecaster to control the keyboards in Caustic?

Edit: I bought the app. This is the of project worth supporting. Absolutely blown away at how much content is in there, and at such a small file size. No sign of slowdown on my iPad2 either. The "phew!" moment came when I saw how easily integrated the AudioShare exporting was. It took probably less than a minute to have my clip copied into MT DAW. The upcoming AB support and MIDI connectivity will put this one way over the top!

• I joined the Caustic forums to learn about the app and see how the update was going. here's a list of what 3.1 is adding, in case you haven't seen that in other postings:

What's new in C3.1

• New synth: KSSynth
      ​- 2 new Modular synth components, the very cool Machine Input and a new Korg/Arturia-style lowpass filter.

• Undo / Redo in all pianoroll editors!

• MIDI support for Pitch Bend on (almost) all synths as well as custom CC mappings with "MIDI learn"
    • Metronome count-in (long-press metronome button)
    • Velocity pads for Beatbox (toggle button at the top), pads will play soft at the top, loud at the bottom.
    • Mobile renderer switched to OpenGLES 2, this should offer smoother framerates to low-end devices.
    • Lots of small add-ons, tweaks and bugfixes.

iOS-specific:

• AudioBus support: Input and Output Slots
    • "Open in" handlers for all machine preset types, WAV, SF2 and MID. You should be able to download and install content from the "Presets" section at the top of this website using Safari browser.
    • AudioCopyPaste + AudioShare in sample editors, WAV file browsers and compatible machines.
    • Switched over to MidiBus for handling MIDI messages, should handle more devices and message types. This also adds Virtual MIDI input.
  • Wow, any news on the release date :-)?

• This is amazing! Why is it so many big name companies don't provide all these import/export options? They expect us to use iTunes sync, which is a creativity killer and a pain in the A$$ (Are you listening... Cakewalk?! Propellorhead?! Korg?!) I am really looking forward to this update.

• Any update from Rej on submission to Apple? No hurry, but this is an especially exciting update, so I'd love to hear when we're getting close!

When this thread started, I hadn't bought Caustic yet. Now that I own it and use it, I'm REALLY excited about the updates. AudioBus is the headline addition, obviously, but there's some subtle stuff that will make a big differnce.

• The new KSSynth is like a new app in and of itself. Awesome.
    • Depending on how Copy/Paste works, this could be as useful as AudioBus. Can we copy a 4-measure synth line from the sequencer and drop it into a DAW as a .wav file? Can we use Paste to drop .wav files of samples, such as drum kit instruments or synth noises?
    • "Open in" functionality could be huge because there is a massive library of free ad-ons for Caustic that PC users (and Android, I believe) can access. But there's only handful of .casuticpack downloads available, paid or free.
    • Metronome count-in -> Laugh if you want, but MT DAW still doesn't have it
    • Undo/redo -> The universal piano roll interface is both the best and most frustrating thing about Caustic - Undo button may help correct mistakes.
  • I really love count in and use it , ALOT

• I use count-in a great deal also, and have to come up with annoying work-arounds in MT DAW. For example, if I have to fit a particular synth or bass part between two other parts, I either have to start a new track (to avoid recording over what I've already done), or record it out "in space" with the metronome, and then move it back into place. It would be much more natural sounding to listen along for a measure and then play my part without risking overdub. Good addition to Caustic 3.1 when it comes out.

I'll be interested to see how much I use Caustic as a "synth" or "drum" app once it has AB support and other export functions. It's pretty great a self-enclosed music creation system, but ultimately, I like the DAW to be the final resting place for all the sounds available in my apps, with preference leaning towards the more convenient ones to export.