Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Moog exhibit in Brooklyn. AMAZING!!

So until Mar 29 in Brooklyn, Rough Trade (64N 9th St) is hosting a Moog exhibit. Anyone can walk right in from 11AM-11PM and use a Little Phatty, Sub Phatty, a Minituar, Voyager, MoogerFoogers.... A little bit of everything Moog. It's totally free. So take your computer or iOS device and record all the Moog you want. I have 4 hours of recordings to use with my samplers and music apps. Go make a bunch of new sounds to have for when Audiobus 2 comes out. After all... Why use the same presets in the same apps that everyone else uses.
Here are a couple pics...

Comments

• Totes jelly dood, sounds rad. I wonder what Moog Fest in Asheville is like, it's a beautiful city, wish I could go.

• cool - i plan on going to my town's Music Centre soon - they have a collection of vintage synths on display - many Moog's - among others, and they also just acquired the infamous TONTO synthesizer. I had never heard of it until recently... google it if you don't know what i'm talking about. Pretty cool.d

• TONTO is amazing... if you can please get some WAV samples... input them into Alchemy, Z3TA, or whatever and make some great patches to share.

Maybe we should start a patch thread for found sounds or those created on amazing machines most of us can't afford!

• just a little remark about costs of today's available modular systems. An average module is about $100. A rack and a PSU isn't very expensive either. And the advantage is, you can expand a system all the time. You can start very small, and 20 years later have something that is even better than a Tonto.

• I usually don't post links because I expect people to take 5 seconds and google it.... But when I look all these items up you mention, if worthwhile they are more costly than you imply. Also... The electronics I used 20 yrs ago, do not work or mix well with today's stuff. Yes a few durable items were made, but look at all the organs, keyboards, entertainment electronics, in fact all technology from 1994 that are not compatible or usable with today's equipment. Yeah... You need money to play in the big leagues. However if I'm wrong please post this cheap building of a phenomenal synth over the next 20 yrs. I will closely follow and copy.

In the meantime I will take advantage of everything at my disposal now... I will even make the trip back into NYC to record more Amazing Moog.

• edited March 2014

simple modules are in the range between $70-150. Single ADSR, single VCO, single VCF, with one or two outputs and one or two inputs. Complex modules can be much more expensive, there you are correct. But these modules encompass many simple tasks, which would cost about the same with simple modules, but will also take more space in the rack. I find this very good, for example to buy a 4-VCO module instead of 4 single VCO modules.

You are also correct that a big system is expensive. I just wanted to point out that you can start small, and don't have to spend a fortune at the beginning. Then you can add 2-3 modules every year, and so on.

As a side note, I often play old synthesisers by hand. All of them are still 'compatible' with today's technology. I also have several converters (MIDI-DIN Sync-tape, USB-CV-DIN Sync, etc.) and iPad-interfaces so that it is no problem to sync an app with a beatbox from the 70's or with an old tape machine.

I also agree with you to take advantage of everything at your disposal. I did the same when I started making music. Found objects and cheap microphones as percussion, short-wave radio, borrowed monophonic synth, borrowed 4-track recorder, tape reel machines from the flea market, etc. Today, 30 years later, I have a nice home studio, with very old gear and very new gadgets. I've never been rich, never married, never had a car, and have the best tools of the analog and digital domain now.

One certainly has to pay a price, that's for sure. :)