Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Free local phone calls from my iPhone using my home Wi-Fi?

Sorry for the OT but what's the best way to make free local phone calls from my iPhone using my home Wi-Fi? I live in Canada (if that makes any difference) and Goggling produces innumerable ways I might be able to do this, but it’s total Google overload for a poor puppy like me!

Also, if I was to use this to call my financial institution, would it be secure, would I get a dedicated phone number, etc?

Here's a few I looked at, but I cannot tell if there are fees and if it is secure, etc.

Dingtone https://apps.apple.com/us/app/dingtone-wifi-calling-text/id588937297
Talkatone https://apps.apple.com/us/app/talkatone-wifi-text-calls/id397648381

I suppose if there is a modest fee of some sort, and I can be assured that the number would be secure, and I would get a dedicated phone number, it might be worth it. The reason I want this is because although I have a regular phone line (it's digital home phone line via the Internet) I find that I am often put on hold due to COVID-19, and a second (or third) phone line to call out and receive calls via my home Wi-Fi would be pretty handy.

Comments

• edited June 2020

How about Google Fi, is that available in Canada?

• My carrier is T-Mobile, and they have WiFi calling built-in. T-Mobile totally sucks for coverage in general, but I need that feature because there is almost zero signal for any carrier at my home. Works great.

Sorry, I don't know of other options.

• @dougdi said:
    How about Google Fi, is that available in Canada?

Seems so indirectly at least, but not without a lot of fiddling, and I am unsure about costs and coverage, nor am I sure if it would provide what I am looking for i.e. a free / low cost second phone line

Project Fi Canada https://canadiankilometers.boardingarea.com/2017/06/30/google-project-fi-canada-review/

• My carrier is freedom mobile in Canada and it lets me do wifi calling. But I have never tried it.

• edited June 2020

@wim said:
    My carrier is T-Mobile, and they have WiFi calling built-in. T-Mobile totally sucks for coverage in general, but I need that feature because there is almost zero signal for any carrier at my home. Works great.

I'll explain what I do, and we'll see if that make sense.

I use pay as you go cell phone access (711 Speakout). I do not want or need a monthly cell phone plan (too expensive). I use Teksavvy for home internet access and Teksavvy TekTalk (VOIP) for my home phone (equivalent of a land line). I rarely use my cell phones for anything other than music. No texting, emailing, voice etc. on cell phones. I want to keep it that way to reduce costs and hassles.

I do not know if my pay as you go cell phone access (711 Speakout) would have WiFi calling built-in. but I have not been able to enable it as of yet.

• @puppychumful said:

@wim said:
    My carrier is T-Mobile, and they have WiFi calling built-in. T-Mobile totally sucks for coverage in general, but I need that feature because there is almost zero signal for any carrier at my home. Works great.

I'll explain what I do, and we'll see if that make sense.

I use pay as you go cell phone access (711 Speakout). I do not want or need a monthly cell phone plan (too expensive). I use Teksavvy for home internet access and Teksavvy TekTalk (VOIP) for my home phone (equivalent of a land line). I rarely use my cell phones for anything other than music. No texting, emailing, voice etc. on cell phones. I want to keep it that way to reduce costs and hassles.

I do not know if my pay as you go cell phone access (711 Speakout) would have WiFi calling built-in. but I have not been able to enable it as of yet.

I am also trying to cut cost. . I am also with teksavvy but instead of using their TekTalk I decided to go for a cell phone. Look at Freedom mobile they have plan as low as 10$ per month.

• Thank you ecou, I'll have a look-see at Freedom Mobile vs Teksavvy TekTalk!

• I'm in the US. and my office has next to no cell service. I have had AT&T and T-Mobile, and both had wifi calling. It used my wifi, but I was still charged for the call, and it still used my cell number. Now I also have a completely free internet phone number from Google Voice. I think this is what you might want. I've had it for years, and it's great! It can take voicemail, send texts, forward calls to cells or landlines...

• Hi AlleycatLA,

That's a great idea and it turns out "Google Voice now generally available in Canada" so your suggestion is well timed
    https://gsuiteupdates.googleblog.com/2020/05/google-voice-now-generally-available-in-canada.html