Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What is the best/ quickest/ easiest way to edit and arrange audio on a timeline?

I have become accustomed to enjoying very lengthy jam sessions (well anything between 10 - 30 mins) in AUM. I am often generally quite happy with the overall groove of it and listening back through them there are several parts that sound pretty good and others that ..... well... um 🤨 let’s say will never make the final cut- albeit some of which may match up better to another part of the jam.

I sometimes record the whole jam onto one channel - in which case I would just need to chop and arrange it all. Other times I will have recorded on maybe 3-6 different channels in order that I can chop and allocate them individual pads in Launchpad - which is great for further experimentation

I am hoping to find a way to arrange the results of my jams on a timeline which is as enjoyable and pain free as possible and is also quick, efficient and most importantly easy.

I already have Cubasis 2 and 4pockets multitrack recorder, they of course have their merits but I am hoping that you can recommend something different to them. I find Cubasis 2 a bit laborious and the 4pockets one a bit fiddly.

I am not in the least bit interested in midi - so please don’t factor this into your answer 😀, this is for audio arrangement only.

What do you think the best options would be?

Comments

• edited June 2020

I record practically the same way and my tool of choice is a vintage DAW (Saw Studio) on PC.
    For my workflow it's the ultimate in ease and precision.

The closest app in IOS is Ferrite (which targets podcasts). It can't loop a selection in DAW style but you can partly fake this manually by hitting 'back' which jumps back to the previous section. Once you get familiar with Ferrite's touch reaction, it's very smooth and precise in snipping and moving segments.
    It also can do AU parameter automation and has unlimited undo.

• edited June 2020

Since you have linear tracks that you want to split into multiple parts and re-arrange these, I would say that Audio Evolution Mobile is the fastest tool available.
    Splitting is a one-touch operation, you can tap and move over the track until you've found the precise position, then let go the finger and have a precise split. You can split at another location again by just tapping again, no re-enabling necessary.
    The split edit mode also remains active across multiple tracks so wherever you tap you get a split.
    Moving clips is a matter of drag and drop.

• wimwim
    edited June 2020

For pure no-frills audio arranging, I still like MultiTrack DAW. Streamlined and distraction free.

• For stuff like this I use Reaper (heavily customized) on the desktop and it's hard for me to imagine any IOS app ever coming close.

• Oh, one more thing, using software that can detect hit points and automatically add markers could support perfect cuts tremendously.
    Most DJ mixing software does that very well but it often depends on straight and rather precise grooves - certainly worth a try though.

• The best audio editing timeline bar non is Reaper on the desktop, it is blindingly fast, super efficient, and you design the workflow around yourself.

• What’s wrong with Cubasis? I have some quibbles with it, but it’s pretty easy to split loops and arrange them on a grid.

• Can you explain how Cubasis 2 is laborious for you mate? :) I use NS2 as my main DAW, but since I can't really record and edit vocals on there, I use Cubasis as my audio editor.

• I need a 4K monitor :(

• @AudioGus said:

I need a 4K monitor :(

Be bold; start freezing sections.

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@AudioGus said:

I need a 4K monitor :(

Be bold; start freezing sections.

Next step is coloring tracks.

• Maybe check out Auditor. No routing, no effects, no midi. Just basic audio editing, cross fades, etc.
    https://apps.apple.com/de/app/auditor-audio-editor/id1248284381?l=en

They also have a good pdf manual online so you can check it out before buying.

• edited June 2020

Hi thanks for all the replies so far, I will take a look at each of them including SAW Studio and Reaper as I have a PC sitting around.
    @rs2000 can you suggest an app/ software that does the DJ editing that you mentioned?
    @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr @jwmmakerofmusic I found myself thinking that there must be a quicker and easier way when I was using Cubasis2. The sort of things I thought were missing are -
    No drag and drop
    Needing to cut twice to remove a section (as opposed to highlighting a section by dragging the markers then hitting copy/cut button)
    No multi track edit - (not able to cut the same section of all tracks at the same time - so needing to take the same section out of each track individually)
    Not able to merge/glue sections together.
    For a one off I don’t suppose these types of thing would be a deal breaker - but I’m planning to do a fair bit of this in the future so I’m looking to set out with the best tool for the job.

• Any DAW, like NS2

• If you have a PC Just use Ableton Live Lite. Apps such as Koala sampler come with a free license code.

You get 8 tracks with Live.

• Also, if you use a PC you could use Audacity which is free.

• @klownshed - I have Koala so I will also have a look at that.
    @Jonny8 i have used Audacity in the dim and distant past - unless I’m mistaken the timeline is set out in minutes and seconds as opposed to beats. A lot of people were lobbying to have this included. Have they added it now?

• Multi track edit is possible, just select right hand loop point, highlight tracks needed and split.

Merge glue = freeze

@robosardine said:
    Hi thanks for all the replies so far, I will take a look at each of them including SAW Studio and Reaper as I have a PC sitting around.
    @rs2000 can you suggest an app/ software that does the DJ editing that you mentioned?
    @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr @jwmmakerofmusic I found myself thinking that there must be a quicker and easier way when I was using Cubasis2. The sort of things I thought were missing are -
    No drag and drop
    Needing to cut twice to remove a section (as opposed to highlighting a section by dragging the markers then hitting copy/cut button)
    No multi track edit - (not able to cut the same section of all tracks at the same time - so needing to take the same section out of each track individually)
    For a one off I don’t suppose these types of thing would be a deal breaker - but I’m planning to do a fair bit of this in the future so I’m looking to set out with the best tool for the job.

• @topaz said:
    Multi track edit is possible, just select right hand loop point, highlight tracks needed and split.

Merge glue = freeze

@robosardine said:
    No drag and drop

I’m not seeing how to select multiple regions at the same time even after tapping the R loop point. When I tap on them they highlight individually only. Also I don’t seem able to highlight/ split a previously frozen track?

• edited June 2020

Don’t tap R use the fwd button on transport bar to move locator to right.

https://streamable.com/cbp0ig

@robosardine said:

@topaz said:
    Multi track edit is possible, just select right hand loop point, highlight tracks needed and split.

Merge glue = freeze

@robosardine said:
    No drag and drop

I’m not seeing how to select multiple regions at the same time even after tapping the R loop point. When I tap on them they highlight individually only. Also I don’t seem able to highlight/ split a previously frozen track?

• @OnfraySin said:
    Any DAW, like NS2

NS2 doesn't support audio tracks. I'm going to try using ZenBeats for this same approach.

• edited June 2020

@robosardine said:

Sorry but I've only been using Serato DJ (Mac) wih its BeatGrid function that also works with varying bpm and/or timing within the same track.
    No idea which software works like this on iOS but I guess for what you asked, I'd rather do in in AEM anyway.

• @topaz said:
    Don’t tap R use the fwd button on transport bar to move locator to right.

@robosardine said:

@topaz said:

Merge glue = freeze

@robosardine said:
    No drag and drop

😀 got that bit, thanks - but I’m not able still to highlight multiple tracks at the same time. I highlight one and drag - the whole thing moves. I tap one then another - they are highlighted individually. I have it in my head from previous threads that it is not actually possible in Cubasis 2. Are you sure multi track simultaneous editing is a feature of CB2?

• @OnfraySin said:
    Any DAW, like NS2

I see what you did there

• wimwim
    edited June 2020

@robosardine said:
    😀 got that bit, thanks - but I’m not able still to highlight multiple tracks at the same time. I highlight one and drag - the whole thing moves. I tap one then another - they are highlighted individually. I have it in my head from previous threads that it is not actually possible in Cubasis 2. Are you sure multi track simultaneous editing is a feature of CB2?

There's a multi-select icon right next to the split icon. Enable that and you can select as many clips as you want. Drop the playhead where you want the split on the timeline and hit the scissors. The clips to the right of the split will remain selected and can be moved around as much as you like.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the issue?

• Hokusai, from the Ferrite people, is excellent and built for music not spoken word audio.

It’s a bit odd in how it handles tracks - you can’t have multiple clips on them. I think there’s a free trial though.

• @auxmux said:
    NS2 doesn't support audio tracks. I'm going to try using ZenBeats for this same approach.

I was really hoping someone would say Zenbeats has this in the bag. Please report back on how it works for this and as for others who don't recommend it, why not?

• wimwim
    edited June 2020

@oddSTAR said:

@auxmux said:

I was really hoping someone would say Zenbeats has this in the bag. Please report back on how it works for this and as for others who don't recommend it, why not?

I figured if the OP feels Cubasis is too cumbersome, then Zenbeats wouldn't be any different. I don't see anything cumbersome about Cubasis myself, but I assumed something more streamlined than a full DAW was what was being envisioned.

• @wim said:

@robosardine said:

There's a multi-select icon right next to the split icon. Enable that and you can select as many clips as you want. Drop the playhead where you want the split on the timeline and hit the scissors. The clips to the right of the split will remain selected and can be moved around as much as you like.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the issue?

Ah right..thanks... 😃 I don’t think you are.. in fact I can quite categorically say you are not. I had previously been led to believe in another thread that this was not an option in CB2 .... but it is.... the multi select icon is indeed right up there like you are saying. There it is! Everything seems clearer now 😀.
    I will now revisit this with fresh eyes - though I am still very interested in pursuing several of the other suggestions which I have already been studying. The one that appeals to me most at the moment as I look through them all is the Audio Evolution Mobile one. This seems to hold a consensus of appeal to its users, and Tim Webb at Disccord certainly seems to like it.