Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Setting up MIDI in AUM/Drambo for Launchkey 49

Hello friendly people 🙋🏼‍♂️,

I recently sold my nanokey studio to get a Launchkey 49 mkII. Very happy so far.
Now I would just love to change the behavior of a few things:

1. I would like to use the transport buttons (⏯⏸⏺)on the LK regardless of what channel I‘m on. Setting MIDI Control in AUM only seems to be possible for one channel.
  2. I have the two arrow buttons (◀️▶️) to the right of the pads mapped to trigger and mute pads in Drambo and would also love to have them work on every channel.
  3. It would be awesome if the track buttons (⏪⏩)on the Launchkey would switch MIDI channels instantly and ideally show it permanently on the display. Currently I have to press both buttons once before I can switch channels and the active channel only shows for a brief period.
  4. Is it somehow possible to use the In-Control mode on the LK inside AUM? It shows in the MIDI-Matrix, but I doesn’t seem to do anything.

Is it possible to set up at least points 1&2 in a Drambo instance? Or do I need Mozaic for that? On a side note: can Mozaic load and play MIDI files? That would be reason enough to finally take the plunge.

I hope my writing is comprehensible (not an easy task for me 😬)

Thanks in advance

Artvarg

Comments

• Hi, you might want to try https://forum.beepstreet.com/discussions

I’ve just bought launchkey mini mk2 and I’m glad that pads are fixed on Ch1 so I can use it for transport and sequencer functions while keyboard and knobs change when I change the channel.

Not sure if this can be achieved on the bigger brother though.

• @supadom said:
    Hi, you might want to try https://forum.beepstreet.com/discussions

I’ve just bought launchkey mini mk2 and I’m glad that pads are fixed on Ch1 so I can use it for transport and sequencer functions while keyboard and knobs change when I change the channel.

Pads are fixed on Channel 10 on the 49 key version as well. I just wish the two buttons next to them and the transport buttons were fixed on some Channel too.

• Could you remap the CCs from those pads to your desired channel?
    Midifire, the mfxConvert, and Drambo all have remapping capabilities.

@Artvarg said:

@supadom said:

Pads are fixed on Channel 10 on the 49 key version as well. I just wish the two buttons next to them and the transport buttons were fixed on some Channel too.

• Hi, you might want to try > @Artvarg said:

@supadom said:

Ah yes, the buttons on the side change with the keyboard as well but I'm actually glad about it so I have buttons for arp on/off and muting track modules etc. Good luck!

@aleyas yes there is some remapping in drambo but how would you remap a message that travels on a different midi channel every time you change the channel on the controller? Sorry, feeling dumb.

• @aleyas thats pretty much what I want to do. I want the CCs from the transport buttons and two other buttons to always send on MIDI channel 1. But I don’t really know how.

What modules would I need in Drambo?

• edited June 2020

Do the transport buttons send the same CC# on each channel? Like, if ⏺ is CC21 on channel 1, would it still be CC21 on channels 2-16?

It's deceptively simple. Only requires 1 module. The filtering will occur in Drambo's 'track settings' menu. Make settings as follows:

Track 1:
    Channel: 1
    Note: ANY
    Receives Midi: Always

Track 2:
    Channel: 2

Track 3:
    Channel: 3

Track 4:
    Channel: 4

etc, etc, till channel 16 (which can be placed on 'main' track)

The ONLY module you need, is the Midi Output module. Place 1 on each track. That's it, literally nothing else (you could place a midi monitor to view activity). Set them all to the same channel, ie, the channel you want to control Aum's transport (channel 1 in your case).

Whats happening is that Dramo's 16 tracks are 'catching' the CC's across all channels from your LK49, and then converting them to a single output channel. Next this can be routed to Aum's midi control input.

Midi routing: LK49 --> Drambo --> Aum Midi Control

I hope that made sense. I tested it to make sure it works.

Also @supadom fyi

@Artvarg said:
    @aleyas thats pretty much what I want to do. I want the CCs from the transport buttons and two other buttons to always send on MIDI channel 1. But I don’t really know how.

What modules would I need in Drambo?

• edited June 2020

Hey, I'm stupid. You can do it all on a SINGLE track.

Track 1
    Channel: ANY

Create one Midi output module, set it to Channel 1.

Has the same effect as my previous comment, but removes precisely 15 steps of the process :#

• edited June 2020

Thanks. That would work for the transport controls, though I would prefer to actually filter those few CCs.

So say I route the Launchkey to Drambo. Drambo then passes through all MIDI data unchanged EXCEPT the CCs 112-117 (transport) and CCs 104,105 (buttons next to pads) on all channels, which would get routed to channel 1 always. So I can route the LK to Drambo and do every consecutive routing from that Drambo instance.
    I can’t find a way to filter CCs in Drambo, though I guess that would be a rather simple Mozaic script 🤔

But maybe I‘m totally overthinking it, and there is a simpler way.

EDIT: To hopefully clear things up more: I want CCs 104 and 105 mapped to “trigger” and “mute” inside Drambo, BUT I have a lot of mapping from different channels in Drambo, so outputting everything on channel 1 would invalidate those mappings

• edited June 2020

I see what you mean.

I believe it's simpler than you think. Though explaining it might sound complicated.

Problem 1) The transport CC's change channels with your controller, and thus would have no effect if you're not on the correct channel. The previous solution fixes that. Just route LaunchKey to that instance, and that instance to AUM transport.

Problem 2) The two arrow buttons (CC104, CC105) also change channels. Again, the previous solution fixes the problem. So also route LaunchKey to Drambo1*, and Drambo1 to Drambo2**. But that introduces problem 3...

Problem 3) By routing LaunchKey to Drambo1 (doing the conversion to channel 1), you are concerned all other CC's sent to Drambo2 would be fixed on Channel 1 too.

Solution: Route LaunchKey->Drambo1->Drambo 2. Map/learn the trigger and mute buttons (these would be on channel 1). After those buttons are learned on channel 1, then temporarily disconect Drambo 2 from receiving from Drambo 1. Route LaunchKey -> Drambo 2 directly. Now when you make your custom mappings across various channels, you won't get interference from Drambo 1 which is tied to channel 1.
    After the mapping is complete, make a parallel routing scheme looking like this:

LaunchKey -> Drambo 1 -> AUM (handling transport, on channel 1)
    Launchkey -> Drambo 1 -> Drambo 2 (handling trigger/mute buttons, on channel 1)
    LaunchKey -> Drambo 2 (handling all other channel specific mappings)

Now, no matter which channel you're on, the Mute/Trigger buttons will always recieve a command, and the AUM transport will always respond. The rest of the CC's can be mapped freely, across any channel. Just disconnect Drambo1->Drambo2 anytime you use the learn function to make multi channel mappings, (or just temporarily disable the midi out module on channel 1 from sending). Anyway, by double clicking on a mapping in Drambo, you can change the channel settings manually as well.

*Drambo 1: Utility instance for channel conversion
    **Drambo 2: The instance you will actually perform and compose with.

EDIT: I know you want to do it all on one instance, and filter this individual CC's, but it can't all be don't on a single instance. Because Drambo doesn't have a midi loopback capability yet, you can't send project midi signals to midi learn destinations (trigger/mute etc) internally. With the next Drambo update, loopback may be possible though (he's currently working on it).

@Artvarg said:
    Thanks. That would work for the transport controls, though I would prefer to actually filter those few CCs.

So say I route the Launchkey to Drambo. Drambo then passes through all MIDI data unchanged EXCEPT the CCs 112-117 (transport) and CCs 104,105 (buttons next to pads) on all channels, which would get routed to channel 1 always. So I can route the LK to Drambo and do every consecutive routing from that Drambo instance.
    I can’t find a way to filter CCs in Drambo, though I guess that would be a rather simple Mozaic script 🤔

But maybe I‘m totally overthinking it, and there is a simpler way.

EDIT: To hopefully clear things up more: I want CCs 104 and 105 mapped to “trigger” and “mute” inside Drambo, BUT I have a lot of mapping from different channels in Drambo, so outputting everything on channel 1 would invalidate those mappings

• @aleyas Awesome, that did the trick. 🎉 Thanks a lot. 🙏🏼

It’s quite hard getting my mind around all the MIDI routing possibilities. 🤪
    It’s also incredible how versatile Drambo is.